PDA

View Full Version : Ryan brothers both unemployed

Partial
01-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I simply do not understand how these two brilliant defensive minds can be unemployed right now. I would gladly ditch Bob Sanders and his conservative scheme to bring in either of these bright minds. They could take our solid defense to the next level with an added bit of agression.

Tarlam!
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
They look like hippies, though. They even make Rastak look middle of the road....

hoosier
01-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I simply do not understand how these two brilliant defensive minds can be unemployed right now. I would gladly ditch Bob Sanders and his conservative scheme to bring in either of these bright minds. They could take our solid defense to the next level with an added bit of agression.

I woudln't call Sanders scheme "conservative." It's true that it relies on front four for creating pressure, but the bump and run/outside pressure scheme is far from conservative. If the DL had done a better job of generating pressure (if Jenkins hadn't played like he was hurt all year, if Jolly doesn't go down, and if the rest of them didn't start to tail off with the Dallas game) I think the defense overall would have had a much more disruptive look to it.

The GB defense was 11th in yards allowed, 7th in points allowed, tied for 6th in interceptions, and tied for 7th in defensive touchdowns scored. They ranked poorly in fumbles forced (tied for 25th). But overall I'll take those rankings any day over a flashy defense that can't tackle or gives up too many big plays.

pbmax
01-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Eh, Baltimore was the 9th ranked defense, Packers 15th and Oakland was 23rd (rankings courtesy of footballoutsiders.com). Aggressive doesn't mean better if you do not have the players for the scheme.

Aggressive coordinators with bad or the wrong personnel are just as bad as conservative coordinators under the same circumstances.

MJZiggy
01-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Why in the hell do you tell your defensive coordinator that you plan to fire him later in the week? For pete sakes just do it and be done with it rather than torturing him all week...(by the way, the Jets are already looking at him.)

Carolina_Packer
01-02-2008, 09:05 PM

Who are the Ryan brothers?

Partial
01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Rex and Rob Ryan, the defensive coordinators of Oakland and Baltimore.

KYPack
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
They look like hippies, though. They even make Rastak look middle of the road....

Rob has super short hair.

Rex is the hippie lookin' dude.

PB broke the code on this one. Their schemes are similar, some 46, cover 1, & blitz packages. They need specific kinds of players to make their stuff work. There will be openings, but only one of 'em will probably get a gig right away. I'd guess Rob.

Scott Campbell
01-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Both sons of Buddy?

Partial
01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Both sons of Buddy?

Yes

footballfever
01-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm surprised these 2 aren't instantly recognizable, I've always known and had respect for the Ryan's. Rob already has a job lined up with the NY Jets I didn't even know Rex was out of a job.

footballfever
01-03-2008, 08:56 AM

PB broke the code on this one. Their schemes are similar, some 46, cover 1, & blitz packages. They need specific kinds of players to make their stuff work. There will be openings, but only one of 'em will probably get a gig right away. I'd guess Rob.

other way around, rob is the hippie rex is the normal lookin one

KYPack
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM

other way around, rob is the hippie rex is the normal lookin one

Yer right, pal.

Got my Ryan's tangled.