PDA

View Full Version : NBA is back?

Harlan Huckleby
05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I think LeBron James has got me interested in the NBA again. When that big boy drives to the hoop, it is a thing of beauty, he is so quick and powerful and graceful. Other great, powerful forwards, like Karl Malone, could shoot and muscle their way around, but James is much more athletic.

I lost interest in Basketball when Jordan retired. Watching those great Chicago teams was such a high, that anything else was a letdown.

The only interest I've had in the NBA since then has been rooting for Shaq to lose. I can't stand watching the big giant push people around and shoot a 3 footer. What a bore he has been.

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah Lebron, Kobe, Dwade, Dirk, Nash, Brand, seems like the NBA is Back, minus the free throw shooting(that drives me nuts). I'm salivating over a possible Lebron Dwade matchup. I remember when they played each other towards the end of the reg season. It was almost like the old McDonald's commercial. The one with Bird and Jordan, off the arena wall, around the chevy nova, off the backboard and in. Some crazy skills if the matchup happens.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I think LeBron James has got me interested in the NBA again. When that big boy drives to the hoop, it is a thing of beauty, he is so quick and powerful and graceful. Other great, powerful forwards, like Karl Malone, could shoot and muscle their way around, but James is much more athletic.

Huckleby, your view of beauty different from mine. James is nothing spectacular. All he does is drive 150 MPH toward the basket and then dunk the ball. It could be stopped if you are willing to take a charge. But doing such would be suicide. Think about it: would you be willing to stand in front of a incoming Mazda MX3 (my first car) that is coming at 150 mph?

Harlan Huckleby
05-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Sam Cassal is really something special. I wish he was still on the Bucks.

Sam is half crazy, well, maybe completely crazy. He sometimes does wild things, but mostly he is incredibly cagey. Damn entertaining to watch. I want to see him and Elton Brand advance.

Steve Nash getting MVP is silly. Well, maybe for regular season, it is not completely out of line, as he is valuable to his team as field general But how can you say he is even among the top 20 players in the league, he can't create his own shot, or defend anybody.

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
James also developed his outside game a lot this year. I've seen him make some incredible three. Also, he can pass and rebound. If his team shot better he'd be damn close to averaging a triple throughout the regular season. James is a FREAK.

Harlan Huckleby
05-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Huckleby, your view of beauty different from mine. James is nothing spectacular. All he does is drive 150 MPH toward the basket and then dunk

For a guy that size to move so fast is impressive. And he has great acrobatic body control to keep his shots from being blocked.

I kinda see what you mean though, in a way he relies on a combination of size, strength and quickness to blow-by people. But there is so much more to his game.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-19-2006, 10:29 AM
James also developed his outside game a lot this year. I've seen him make some incredible three. Also, he can pass and rebound. If his team shot better he'd be damn close to averaging a triple throughout the regular season. James is a FREAK.

James is not as good as Kobe. It I were 6'8" and 240lbs, I would be able to defend James. Hell, Dennis Rodman would be able to do so. NBA GMs are worst than Ted Thompson because Rodman is available and not one team signed him. Rodman would make James look like Dale Davis.

Harlan Huckleby
05-19-2006, 10:31 AM
P-Bear,

So you think Cleveland is leading Detroit, the best team in the NBA, because Cleveland has better players?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
P-Bear,

So you think Cleveland is leading Detroit, the best team in the NBA, because Cleveland has better players?

Detroit is a good team defensly, but not as good as the Rodman-led Bulls during the bulls 2nd triple crown run. TeShawn Price defending James? That's like Toni Kukoc defending Jordan.

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Lol the point is nobody in the NBA can stop him right now. How's the number 1 defensive team doing against Lebron. Not very good. Lebron carried this team on his back throughout the playoffs. Look at his series against Detroit. 31ppg. 7.8 rebounds a game, and 6.3 assist a game. That's phenomenal, if Detroit takes away his shot for the night Lebron is going to be looking to pass, and probably get about 12-14 assists that night. That's what makes him so special, he shares the ball.

As for the Rodman comment, Lol, Rodman would never be able to keep up with the FREAK. Not even in his best seasons. Only way he might have had success is if the team he was on played a zone defense, but then again Lebron is so good driving inside and kicking it back out that wouldn't even work. Rodman would have been too gassed to even play after the first quarter. The only chance Rodman would really have of guarding James would be to sucker punch him in the face.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-19-2006, 10:39 AM
As for the Rodman comment, Lol, Rodman would never be able to keep up with the FREAK. Not even in his best seasons. Only way he might have had success is if the team he was on played a zone defense, but then again Lebron is so good driving inside and kicking it back out that wouldn't even work. Rodman would have been too gassed to even play after the first quarter. The only chance Rodman would really have of guarding James would be to sucker punch him in the face.

Rodman would eat alive James physically and mentally. Rodman was the best defensive player, not to mention the best rebounder the NBA have ever seen.

Badgepack
05-19-2006, 10:45 AM
No way Rodman would have the speed to keep up with James.

Also, Jame's has been very impressive after being annointed the chosen one at the age of 18. He seems very level headed, hasn't done anything stupid that I know of. Plus he has backed it up with his play.

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Rodman would never ever be able to defend James. Rodman was a good rebounder, I'll give you that. He was a good defensive player, but Lebron would eat him up outside, driving inside. Rodman is not that fleet of foot. Lebron is a 6'8 FREAK that could be a PG. The fact of the matter is if Detroit thought there was a chance in hell Rodman could guard james they'd pick him up in a heartbeat. Dumar's know's what Rodman's capable of and it isn't too much this point in time. So again saying Rodman can guard the FREAK is like saying Ben Wallace should be guarding him. Ben Wallace is a great rebounder and a great shot blocker, but Lebron would take either one(Rodman or Wallace) and leave them in the dust of the dribble.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Rodman would never ever be able to defend James. Rodman was a good rebounder, I'll give you that. He was a good defensive player, but Lebron would eat him up outside, driving inside. Rodman is not that fleet of foot. Lebron is a 6'8 FREAK that could be a PG. The fact of the matter is if Detroit thought there was a chance in hell Rodman could guard james they'd pick him up in a heartbeat. Dumar's know's what Rodman's capable of and it isn't too much this point in time. So again saying Rodman can guard the FREAK is like saying Ben Wallace should be guarding him. Ben Wallace is a great rebounder and a great shot blocker, but Lebron would take either one(Rodman or Wallace) and leave them in the dust of the dribble.

The way James dribble, I can steal the ball from him. Kobe Byrant is extremely Jordansque and the hardest player to defend in the NBA.

James? Again, Rodman would make him look like Dale Davis.

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Then you should go sign a 7 figure contract in the NBA because nobody in the NBA right now or even in the past can guard him. Rodman would look like T.J. Ford looks on Defense against the "FREAK" Lebron James.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Then you should go sign a 7 figure contract in the NBA because nobody in the NBA right now or even in the past can guard him. Rodman would look like T.J. Ford looks on Defense against the "FREAK" Lebron James.

Ford is a pretty good defender. I was at the Wizard-Bucks game last month and I swear if Snyder was around, he'd sign Ford right away to play CB for the Redskins.

Badgepack
05-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Kobe is one hell of a ball player, unstoppable at times.

However, he has never taken a team not loaded with superstarts anywhere, but James is on the verge of doing so.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Think about it: would you be willing to stand in front of a incoming Mazda MX3 (my first car) that is coming at 150 mph?

It wouldn't be so bad. In your typical state you'd be seeing double. So I'd stand a 50/50 chance of you missing me anyway.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Think about it: would you be willing to stand in front of a incoming Mazda MX3 (my first car) that is coming at 150 mph?

It wouldn't be so bad. In your typical state you'd be seeing double. So I'd stand a 50/50 chance of you missing me anyway.

Actually, I'm a pretty good driver under influence, probably even better than when I am sober. My track record indicates that. I've driven high countless times and not once have I ever got in an accident or arrested.

Badgepack
05-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Jesus Christ Tank, you have just gone from stupid to dangerous. Get high all you want, but stay off the fucking roads!!!!!!!!

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 11:21 AM

I lost interest in Basketball when Jordan retired. Watching those great Chicago teams was such a high, that anything else was a letdown.

The only interest I've had in the NBA since then has been rooting for Shaq to lose. I can't stand watching the big giant push people around and shoot a 3 footer. What a bore he has been.

I consider Lebron more of a 3 than a 4. But he's almost as versatile as Magic was.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 11:25 AM
James is nothing spectacular. All he does is drive 150 MPH toward the basket and then dunk the ball.

You must be just watching Sports Center highlights. He's got a terrific all around game with an impressive offensive repertoire. And he's only 21.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 11:26 AM

James is not as good as Kobe. It I were 6'8" and 240lbs, I would be able to defend James. Hell, Dennis Rodman would be able to do so. NBA GMs are worst than Ted Thompson because Rodman is available and not one team signed him. Rodman would make James look like Dale Davis.

Kobe just let Raja Bell take him out of the playoffs.

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2006, 11:29 AM
King James is fantastic. The brand of ball in the playoffs has been good. Dallas is an impressive team.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Rodman was the best defensive player, not to mention the best rebounder the NBA have ever seen.

Bill Russell was. Don't be silly.

Bill Russell
Bill Russell was the cornerstone of the Boston Celtics' dynasty of the 1960s, an uncanny shotblocker who revolutionized NBA defensive concepts. A five-time NBA Most Valuable Player and a 12-time All-Star, the angular center amassed 21,620 career rebounds, an average of 22.5 per game, and led the league in rebounding four times. He had 51 boards in one game, 49 in two others, and a dozen consecutive seasons of 1,000 or more rebounds. His many individual accolades were well deserved, but they were only products of Russell's philosophy of team play.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 11:37 AM
My track record indicates that. I've driven high countless times and not once have I ever got in an accident or arrested.

Thats because you smoked dried lettuce not the mean green. :roll:

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I think Smush Parker and Kwame Brown had more to do with it then Raja Bell. Bryant played an excellent series and was only a few plays with help away from beating a much stronger team.

billy_oliver880
05-19-2006, 12:09 PM
My track record indicates that. I've driven high countless times and not once have I ever got in an accident or arrested.

Thats because you smoked dried lettuce not the mean green. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Why would you even say that? I think I would keep that information to myself if I were you Tank.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 12:42 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Why would you even say that? I think I would keep that information to myself if I were you Tank.
Well the truth is, unlike many NBA players, tank is a studio smoker. You know, like studio gangster. All up in the rap songs talking about that big Kronic when the truth is he aint even inhaled. He should ask rodman to break him off some. :wink:

Little Whiskey
05-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Jesus Christ Tank, you have just gone from stupid to dangerous. Get high all you want, but stay off the fucking roads!!!!!!!!

not too many people would confuse tank with being too smart, or safe for that matter

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 01:12 PM
I think Smush Parker and Kwame Brown had more to do with it then Raja Bell. Bryant played an excellent series and was only a few plays with help away from beating a much stronger team.

You gotta love Raja's mom for talking smack as Kobe walked off the floor in game 7. She asked him if he needed a hug. LOL

RashanGary
05-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Why drink and drive when you can get high and fly right?

RashanGary
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Getting stoned doesn't effect driving as bad as drinking but it does put others at risk. Problem is, stoners dont' just get stoned once a day. They are stoned all damn day. Driving, working, school. Everything they do, they smoke first.

Smoking pot isn't as bad as getting drunk. You can go to work and be just fine with a little visine. If you had a sixpack on your way to work I'm pretty sure you'd be useless.

Sparkey
05-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Getting stoned doesn't effect driving as bad as drinking but it does put others at risk. Problem is, stoners dont' just get stoned once a day. They are stoned all damn day. Driving, working, school. Everything they do, they smoke first.

Smoking pot isn't as bad as getting drunk. You can go to work and be just fine with a little visine. If you had a sixpack on your way to work I'm pretty sure you'd be useless.

Can Tank (any anyone else that is a member) post the area they live in so I can avoid driving around there ? :roll:

On that note, a year ago I was hangin with some friends and having a few beers and my cousin, well he likes to light one up now and then. Well, that day I believe he had been ligthen one up all day long. Were playing catch with the football and my sister fires a bullet at him and he is so stoned (he can't even react to the throw) the ball nails him in the face and breaks his nose. [was a WR in Highschool]

So, with that little bit of knowledge, I don't think anyone who has had a few (drinks or hits) should be getting behind the wheel. You want to take your own life fine, but dont take mine too........

Tarlam!
05-19-2006, 01:56 PM
One word: DIRK!! :shock:

We LOVE Dirk in Germany. He still plays on our national team with passion. He is suc´h a modest millionaire. He woks his azz off. We really love our Dirk.

The entire country is pullin for the Mavs.

Since I have no clue, how are they doing and is their a chance they meet James' team?

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 02:37 PM

We LOVE Dirk in Germany. He still plays on our national team with passion. He is suc´h a modest millionaire. He woks his azz off. We really love our Dirk.

Since I have no clue, how are they doing and is their a chance they meet James' team?

They're up 3-2 in their series against the defending champion Spurs. They get a chance to close them out at home. Otherwise it's a game 7 on the road. Same situation as the Cavs.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Well the truth is, unlike many NBA players, tank is a studio smoker. You know, like studio gangster. All up in the rap songs talking about that big Kronic when the truth is he aint even inhaled. He should ask rodman to break him off some. :wink:

Yeah mad, I've never smoked weed. And you are not Mexican.

Oh will, since Huckleby made the mistake of putting you in charge of this forum, i better end it here before you lose your cool and ban me. :smile:

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 03:32 PM

They're up 3-2 in their series against the defending champion Spurs. They get a chance to close them out at home. Otherwise it's a game 7 on the road. Same situation as the Cavs.

Yeah they have a chance. I would've liked their chances better if Terry wouldn't have sucker punched Finley. Hopefully it doesn't cost them the series. I want to see a Dwade Dharris finals.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah mad, I've never smoked weed. And you are not Mexican.

Oh will, since Huckleby made the mistake of putting you in charge of this forum, i better end it here before you lose your cool and ban me. :smile:
Well lets see your stuff then! I posted mine on JSO and you never posted yours. Now that you are here you can post what ever you want. Email it to me and I will load it for you under my name if youre still scared.

Trust me you aint never getting banned. We need someone to make us all feel better about ourselves. :mrgreen:

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow this Cavs Pistons game is a great game going down to the wire, anyone watching it?

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 04:19 AM
I just logged onto NBA.com and read 3 series are going down to the wire! Is that some kind of a record??

Shame Dirk didn't finish off the Spurs. Looks like the Spurs will win at home. Shame, we love our Dirk!

It aint over till Monday, though!

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Dirk needed more help from his teammates, he busted his ass was getting doubled most of the night and still had 26 points, 21 rebs, and 5 assists. I never knew he could be that good of a passer, but he had some beautiful passes. Could have had a triple double if anyone esle on Dallas would've made their shots. Getting Terry back will help a great deal though. Don't think Dallas is out of it just because the Spurs have the homecourt now. Should be a hell of a game though. Still think the Mavs are going to pull it out, they really missed the 20ppg. Terry was giving them. He'll make the difference.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Nice to hear that! We'll see how it goes....

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I still can't believe how much time between the Suns Clips game. Three night off again between six and 7. Didn't the suns have that the last series with the lakers, and then completely blew them out. The suns needed the rest to get the legs back, but the clips have to be disappointed because they would have had the suns on the ropes if it would have been today or tomorrow. Now I'll predict the suns win big monday night, around 120-95.

Harlan Huckleby
05-20-2006, 05:59 PM
I found it odd that the Dallas fans booed Michael Finley. Finley's only crime was to be on the receiving end of a punch to the nuts.

Dallas will be a lot better when Terry returns. Devon Harris looked a little overwhelmed by the pressure.

I see Dallas winning.

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 06:12 PM
yeah it was kind of weird. Especially since like you said finley didn't do anything wrong. The guy gave the best years of his career to put dallas back on the map in basketball, and that's the repayment he gets. He didn't even want to leave Dallas in the first place. They cut him.

Tarlam!
05-21-2006, 02:30 AM
I see Dallas winning.

Way to smack the kiss of death on my team, blue dude.

chain_gang
05-22-2006, 11:41 PM
What a great game. Great to see Dallas finally get over the hump that was the San Antonio Spurs. Dirk is the man, Great series to watch. Hopefully the next one will be too.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 07:35 AM
Mark Cuban has been paying his dues for a long time. This is good for the NBA.

It does make you wonder why Nellie stopped making his teams play defense though. What the heck has he been thinking the last 20 years?

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Yeah, the biggest difference with Dallas is the coach. Avery Johnson is one heck of a coach. They are a tough team. They are athletic on the wings, have big guys that can play defense, have a superstar in Dirk, and have another guy that can hit big shots in Jason Terry. The only thing I don't like about them are Stackhouse and Van Horn. Van Horn might be the softest player in the game, and Stackhouse seems like a choke artist waiting to happen. He gets in tough situations and he throws up garbage at the end of games. The Mavs almost lost this game because they failed to get the ball to Dirk on a couple of possessions late in regulation.