PDA

View Full Version : Mark Roman

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Kind of interesting. San Fran gave Roman an extension before the year. Wonder if they regret it now--even though it wasn't that big.

Roman = 61 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, 4 passes defensed
Bigby = 86 tackles, 0 sacks, 5 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles, 9 passes defensed

As much as we can harp on Bigby, I think he's been a clear upgrade over that position from the last two years--although that's saying very little.

The Leaper
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
As much as we can harp on Bigby, I think he's been a clear upgrade over that position from the last two years--although that's saying very little.

Hard to compare a guy in the SF secondary with a guy in the GB secondary. Most teams stopped passing on the 49ers by the 2nd quarter.

However, I do think Bigby is an upgrade to Roman...hard not to be.

MadtownPacker
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
If Bigby's dumb ass would turn around once in a while he would have more picks and be considered really damn good.

BallHawk
01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
If Bigby's dumb ass would turn around once in a while he would have more picks and be considered really damn good.

Guy still commits to many dumb penalties. And he's a liability in coverage.

I don't know, I like Bigby, but I'm more than willing to give Rouse a go if Bigby wants to much money. I don't see him as a key figure on our defense.

Deputy Nutz
01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Rouse is actually going to be in line to replace Collins. I think Collins is ok but he is not worth 3 or 4 million a year for his play at safety.

Bigby will have another year to show improvement as a starter and I think he will. Play action is a bitch for any safety in their first year.

The Leaper
01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Rouse is actually going to be in line to replace Collins. I think Collins is ok but he is not worth 3 or 4 million a year for his play at safety.

Who is going to pay Collins $3-4M a year? He hasn't done anything.

Besides, wouldn't Bigby have to sign a new contract before Collins does? I would think Bigby is more likely to earn a big FA deal due to his stats, and more likely to pull down a sizeable deal at this point.

BallHawk
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Bigby will have another year to show improvement as a starter and I think he will. Play action is a bitch for any safety in their first year.

Collins needs a good coach to do well. He's go the raw athleticism, but he needs to be coached well to be a good player. Get rid of Schotty, and then I think he could flourish.

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I believe if you think of Bigby as a first year player who is likely to improve, you'd be happy with him. If you think he's already reached his ceiling, then you'd think he needs to be replaced. I wonder what people would think if he were a second round pick last year and hadn't played much or missed the year because of injury.

The Leaper
01-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I believe if you think of Bigby as a first year player who is likely to improve, you'd be happy with him.

I think he can improve. I just don't think we need all of our safeties to be LB types that tend more to run support than they do pass defense. If Bigby were paired with a safety who was strong in coverage, then I'm fine with what Bigby brings.

You need a LeRoy Butler (in the box) safety and a Eugene Robinson/Darren Sharper (deep coverage) safety. I think your defense struggles if you have two of both...which I think is what we have with Bigby and Collins, who both excel in the box IMO.

Pacopete4
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
ever since collins came back from injury i think hes played some excellent ball

Jerry Tagge
01-03-2008, 04:11 PM
What's Antuan Edwards doing these days??? Maybe SF can sign him too.

Harlan Huckleby
01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Bigby has shown a lot. This is his first year as a starter.

BallHawk
01-03-2008, 04:36 PM
What's Antuan Edwards doing these days??? Maybe SF can sign him too.

Dude has been with about 5 teams in the last year or so. I think he's been sitting at home all season long.

BTW, nice avatar. :D

CaliforniaCheez
01-03-2008, 04:55 PM
The comparision should not be with the back up Bigby and Tod Franz but

Marquand Manuel (more expensive than Roman) and
pre-injury Marvel Underwood.

Roman is one of 64 starting Safeties in the NFL who was cut too early by the Packers. They could have kept him through training camp.
The problem with Roman was he recognized the mistake in signing Manuel who was Roman's back up in Cincinnati. He told Ted Thompson it was a mistake. Ted cut Roman for rocking the boat. It was a mistake. Roman is better than Manuel and always has been.

Manuel has never beat out the competition in training camp. His starts came after injuries to Ken Hamin and Marvel Underwood.

Roman is in the bottom third of NFL starting safeties.

Merlin
01-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I was never on the Manual bandwagon, not at all. I thought the guy had one or two good games his entire career. I don't know the stats from 2006 but it sure looked like to me that he was a downgrade from Roman.

I like Rouse, he really has shown the potential. I like Collins too but he hasn't really made a statement since his rookie year. Over all, I think our safeties still get burned too much. Could just be lack of experience. If that's the case, then Collins, Bigby and Rouse should only get better in our scheme.

Partial
01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Part of the reason I feel that the safeties get burned is that our corners do such a good job they are rarely thrown on.