PDA

View Full Version : S Atari Bigby Named NFC Defensive Player Of The Month

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
S Atari Bigby Named NFC Defensive Player Of The Month

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/01/03/3/

posted 01/03/2008

Quarterback TODD COLLINS of the Washington Redskins, safety ATARI BIGBY of the Green Bay Packers, and kicker MATT BRYANT of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for December, the NFL announced Thursday.

OFFENSE: QB TODD COLLINS, WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Collins guided the Redskins to four consecutive wins and helped Washington secure a playoff berth. The veteran quarterback had an NFC-best 106.4 passer rating during the month, completing 67 of 105 passes (63.8 percent) for 888 yards with five touchdowns and no interceptions. Collins made his season debut in Week 14, passing for 224 yards and two touchdowns in relief as the Redskins beat Chicago 24-17. The next week against the New York Giants, Collins made his first start since 1997, leading Washington to a 22-10 road win. In Week 16, Collins passed for a season-high 254 yards with two touchdowns as the Redskins knocked off Minnesota. He finished the month with a 224-yard, one-touchdown performance against Dallas to get Washington into the playoffs.

In his 13th season from Michigan, this is Collins' first career Player of the Month Award. He was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in Week 14. Collins is the first Redskins quarterback to win the award and is the first Washington player to be honored on offense since October 1996 (TERRY ALLEN).

DEFENSE: S ATARI BIGBY, GREEN BAY PACKERS
Bigby tied for the NFL lead with four interceptions during the month in just four games. The Packers posted a 3-1 record in December and clinched the NFC North division, locking up the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoffs. Bigby posted an interception in three of Green Bay's four December games. He had a 22-yard interception in Week 14 and recorded a career-high two interceptions the next week against St. Louis. Bigby finished the month with an interception in the Packers' win over Detroit.

In his second year from Central Florida, this is Bigby's first career Player of the Month Award. He is the second Packers player to be named Defensive Player of the Month this year, joining Pro Bowl defensive end AARON KAMPMAN (October).

SPECIAL TEAMS: K MATT BRYANT, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
Bryant ranked second in the NFC during December with 42 points and 10 field goals as the Buccaneers clinched the NFC South. Bryant connected on 10 of 11 field goal attempts (90.9 percent), including a long of 49 yards. He also converted all 12 PATs. Bryant finished the season with career-highs in field goals made (28) and total points (118).

In his sixth season from Baylor, this is Bryant's first Player of the Month Award. He is the first Buccaneers kicker to be honored since December 2002 (MARTIN GRAMATICA).

2007 NFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH
September
QB Tony Romo, Dallas
LB Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay
KR-PR Devin Hester, Chicago

October
RB Brandon Jacobs, NY Giants
DE Aaron Kampman, Green Bay
K David Akers, Philadelphia

November
WR Terrell Owens, Dallas
DE Patrick Kerney, Seattle
K Mason Crosby, Green Bay

December
QB Todd Collins, Washington
S Atari Bigby, Green Bay
K Matt Bryant, Tampa Bay

BallHawk
01-03-2008, 02:26 PM
We have a player of the month three months in a row. Pretty good.

Partial
01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Player of the month. That surprises me. I remember Marquis Anderson got that award once. Or maybe rookie of the month. Regardless, I'm not confident Bigby is the long-term solution at safety. Has your opinion changed in the past month on this matter?

BallHawk
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Has your opinion changed in the past month on this matter?

For me it hasn't.

gbgary
01-03-2008, 02:38 PM
http://forums.eu.atari.com/images/style_12/atari_europe_logo.gif

RashanGary
01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Bigby is tough as nails. He gets caught peeking from time to time, but he makes up for it with monster hits, dominate run support for a safety and good hands.

He's not great at everything, but he's good enough at a lot of things to be hard to replace. I see Rouse/Bigby being the Safety's of the future with Collins as nickle back untill his contract is up.

Merlin
01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
He has the "Sharper" knack for being in the right place at the right time. But what he has that Sharper never had is the ability to lay the wood. He isn't afraid to get right in there on a tackle. Now, they both might get burned as much but at least with Atari, he makes up for his mistakes instead of magically getting turf toe playing at Lambeau...

RashanGary
01-03-2008, 06:04 PM
If Bigby wasn't the toughest guy pound for pound on our defense, I'd be a lot more critical. When you take WR's out of the game when the go over the middle, force fumbles, stuff the run like a linebacker and get interceptions, I can let a missed assignment go every game. Hell, most safety's miss an asignment every game. Most don't average a big play in every game they play.

SkinBasket
01-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Looks like the NFC was short on defensive players this month.

SkinBasket
01-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Seriously. If Bigby was the best defensive player in the NFC this month, the NFC is fucked.

Rastak
01-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Looks like the NFC was short on defensive players this month.

Could be but a big honor nevertheless.

BlueBrewer
01-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Bigby is in his first year as a starter and I don't think anyone can argue that he is a huge improvement over Manuel. With that said let him mature a little, you can't expect every first year starter to have numbers and plays like Grant. He is playing better every week and I think he is a pro bowler in the making. Write that down.

Kiwon
01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Bigby was a quiet "Player of the Month." I heard Deon praise him, but still it's a little surprising. Great confidence booster, though, and added change to his bank account.

Seriously, is Atari his real name?

Who are his brothers, Sega and Nintendo?