PDA

View Full Version : Orange Bowl thread

pack4to84
01-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Most mock drafts have the Packers taking CB A. Talib. Well he just picked it off and returned it for a TD. Got a penalty for high stepping down the sideline. Man he's huge. (6'2")
link to bio
http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/talib_aqib00.html

link to mock draft
http://condraft.com/mocks/round-1.html
PICK #29 The Packers Pick:
Aqib Talib (CB, Kansas)
Brett Favre is at it again. The Packers came out of nowhere to the top of the NFC, and have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl. An improved defense along with some big-play young guys in Ryan Grant and Greg Jennings, and Mike McCarthy and the Packers are champions of the NFC North. As for needs going into next year, the Pack could use some depth behind Al Harris and Charles Woodson at CB, and a guy like Aqib Talib of Kansas would be a great addition. Talib is one of the top cover-men in the nation and has NFL skills, as he accounted for 4 interceptions this season, returning one for a touchdown. Talib also played some snaps at WR, and scored four touchdowns on only eight catches. A playmaker, Talib could develop into a starting CB at the next level, and will immensely help his stock if he runs well in the postseason.

Bossman641
01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Is nobody watching this? Pretty entertaining game, one of the better ones in what has been a shitty bowl season. I kept waiting for VT to finally score and take this game over cause their D was dominating the second half but they haven't got anything going at all cause of poor QB play.

Partial
01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Awesome game!

DannoMac21
01-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Talib was projected in the top 10 before the college/NFL seasons started. The guy's a stud.

Pacopete4
01-04-2008, 01:11 AM
these bowl games have been a joke

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Is nobody watching this? Pretty entertaining game, one of the better ones in what has been a shitty bowl season.

The bowl season was a little disappointing because the BIG GAMES have frequently been flops. At least there were lots of exciting games in the earlier small bowls. The Michigan-Florida game was good.

Bossman641
01-04-2008, 08:55 AM
I agree there were some good games earlier in the year and that Fla-Mich was entertaining but all the big games have sucked. The matchups weren't really all that interesting to being with and they have been quite disappointing.

If only there were a playoff. The strongest teams right now look like OSU, LSU, Kansas, WVU, Georgia, USC, Missouri. I was surprised how bad OKL looked the other night, WVU just has ridiculous team speed though.

Badgerinmaine
01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
it was competitive but it sure was raggedy. I was a lot more impressed by West Virginia and USC.

b bulldog
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
USC would win it all if there was a playoff

BallHawk
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM

I'm inclined to agree with you, although I think LSU could have a shot at them.

Bossman641
01-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Disagree, I was actually reading about this earlier. For some reason, the media has a huge stiffy over USC and thinks they are the same team they have been the past couple years when that's not really the case.

Link http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/01/03/cfb.bag/2.html

Stewart -- did I miss something? Since when does beating Arizona State and Illinois get you crowned likely national champs and the hottest team in college football? Oh, I forgot ... USC was the only team with injuries this season. Do you crown these guys too?
--Dustin, Lake Charles, La.

No, I'm as puzzled by the continued USC infatuation as you are. Even before the Rose Bowl beatdown of Illinois, there seemed to be a huge segment of the public and media that still believed the Trojans were the best team in the country, despite almost no tangible evidence to support that. This is a team that beat two -- I repeat, two -- teams with winning records during the entire regular season and lost to a team (Stanford) that finished the year 4-8.

Yes, I understand USC -- and John David Booty in particular -- was banged up in that game. You know who else suffered a boatload of injuries this season? Oregon. The Ducks were playing without three of their top four receivers and their No. 2 tailback when they beat the Trojans on Oct. 27. If you want to argue that USC could have won the national championship if it had stayed healthy, I'd counter that they might not even have won the Pac-10 had Dennis Dixon stayed healthy.

No question, USC, once healthy, was one of the top teams in the country by the end of the season, but there are still at least three other teams -- Ohio State, LSU and Georgia -- I'm more impressed with based on their seasons as a whole. As far as I can tell, the continued perception held by those who still believe USC as the top team in the country is based primarily on their track record (six straight seasons of at least 11 wins is pretty darn impressive) and the fact the Trojans were picked as such before the season. (Which is itself amusing, considering all the complaints I hear about preseason polls).

The fact is, USC did not look remotely like the No. 1 team in the country until the 11th game of its season, Thanksgiving night against Arizona State, and the Sun Devils wound up getting crushed by the two other best teams (Oregon with Dixon and Texas) it faced. The Trojans then beat up on what we figured all along would be an overmatched Illinois team. If you want to ignore their first 10 games and anoint them based on their final three, be my guest, but I personally tend to favor those who show consistency over a slightly longer period.

I think Georgia would be very tough to beat. WVU as well, depending on which team shows up.

oregonpackfan
01-04-2008, 11:48 AM

When they are "Clicking" USC players form an incredible team.

What has hurt this team is their inconsistency. Don't forget they lost to a weak, but spirited Stanford team. On a couple other Pac 10 games, they barely beat their opposition because they were "Out of sync." When they are "on", USC is as good as any team in the country.

The Leaper
01-04-2008, 11:55 AM
When they are "on", USC is as good as any team in the country.

That is one of the dumbest thing I've heard.

You can say that for just about ANY top 25 team...hell, you can say it for App State.

hurleyfan
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Talib was projected in the top 10 before the college/NFL seasons started. The guy's a stud.

Don't think he'll be around when the Packers are on the clock... late in round 1!

Deputy Nutz
01-04-2008, 01:17 PM

Don't think he'll be around when the Packers are on the clock... late in round 1!

Unless he runs above a 4.6 forty he will go in the top 15. He is big and has been a shut down corner for most of his career at Kansas, lucky for him the Jayhawks were good this year and he has gotten the attention he deserves to make the jump into the top half of the first round.