PDA

View Full Version : US Today & MSNBC Sportsman of the Year

POLISHHAWK
01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Brett Favre!

Not only for his crafty on-field play, but also for his great hunting prowess.

Way To Go Brett!

packinpatland
01-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Is this a new award, or the one he got from SI?

packinpatland
01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Found this at: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=332452#Favre

I had never heard the deer hunting story before :lol:

Brett Favre: The ol' gunslinger

2007 statistics
Att. Comp. Pct. Yds. TD Int. Rating
535 356 66.5 4,155 28 15 95.7

What makes him special: No quarterback -- now or ever -- is tougher than Favre. If he had to get a tooth pulled, he'd probably tell the dentist to skip the Novocain. Favre, 38, has started 253 consecutive regular-season games -- the most by a quarterback and second among non-kickers to only defensive end Jim Marshall's 282. He has suffered myriad injuries during that run, many of which would have sidelined most other quarterbacks.

The difference this year: Favre is spending more time preparing for opponents, arriving at Lambeau Field early and staying late most days. He watches a lot of tape with quarterbacks coach Tom Clements, the other QBs and the best group of receivers he has had -- immediately after practices and in special sessions on Thursdays and Fridays. Favre talks to the receivers about what he expects, how he'd like them to run their routes and what they should look for from defenses. "He probably looks at film and approaches the game now more like a coach than a player," says Clements.

Strengths: He has one of the strongest arms in the league and a nonpareil level of confidence. "He can throw it on a rope," Seahawks safety Brian Russell says. "There are spots in cover 2 that are considered a weakness. He can find those in a heartbeat." Favre's instincts, a rare combination of anticipation and eye control, make him tough to read. He can look in the flat, causing a linebacker to move over, then whip a pass to a receiver running a slant in the area the linebacker just vacated. He probably wouldn't be cast as the poster boy for quarterback mechanics -- his footwork, in particular, has been criticized over the years -- but he still can put speed on the ball when he throws off his back foot.

Weaknesses: He's a risk taker who still makes ill-advised throws into coverage. Although he is making better decisions and has cut down on his interceptions (he led the league in 2005 with 29), defensive backs anticipate chances for picks because Favre throws passes other quarterbacks would avoid. In a Week 13 loss to Dallas, Favre became impatient and started throwing more downfield rather than checking off to safer options. How will he respond if the Packers fall behind by 10 or 14 points in the playoffs? Will he stick with the game plan and throw high-percentage passes, or will he force throws?

Leaving an impression: "All I know is before he showed up, the Packers couldn't spell playoffs," says Wilcots.

The human touch: An avid outdoorsman, Favre went bowhunting for deer late last season. During the outing, the legs on his deer stand collapsed and he had to shimmy down a tree (he showed up at practice the next day with scrapes and cuts on his hands and arms). Then he had to flag down a passing car to get a ride back to his car, which got stuck in a ditch. He extricated it with the help of his brother-in-law.

Deputy Nutz
01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Day of Deer Hunting Hell. Stand collapses shimmy down tree, flag down car for a ride, car gets stuck, have to push car out, go to practice.

GrnBay007
01-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Dang........why am I never in the right place at the right time????

Car doesn't get stuck in snow in Green Bay.....I'm never just driving by Brett's favorite deer hunting spot when he needs a ride!!!! Damn the luck!!! :P

Jimx29
01-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Brett Favre!

Way To Go Brett!Links?

I'm looking and not seeing anything :?:

woodbuck27
01-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Day of Deer Hunting Hell. Stand collapses shimmy down tree, flag down car for a ride, car gets stuck, have to push car out, go to practice.

Reads like the lyrics of a Joe Diffey song.

Just polish that up a wee bit and send it right along to him. You've got a hit there.

Jimx29
01-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Brett Favre!

Way To Go Brett!Links?

I'm looking and not seeing anything :?:anyone??

b bulldog
01-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Brett has had a wonderful year, hopefully the next three games will be his best.