PDA

View Full Version : Allen Barbre

Patler
01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Barbre has been fairly well spoken of by the staff.
Barbre played extensively in the last game.
Coston has been hurt off and on all year, and was again.
Even though his injury was said to be "a couple weeks" Coston goes on IR.

I think this means they were pleased with what they saw from Barbre. I think they feel a healthy Barbre is better than a dinged up Coston, who is still slowed by a bum ankle. If they weren't pleased with Barbre, they would not have put Coston on IR if he had the possibility of being ready as a backup for the NFC Championship or Super Bowl weekends. He was their third guard.

MJZiggy
01-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I agree they must have seen something. Hopefully we'll all get to see it too next game...

Deputy Nutz
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Like I said before Coston got the nod because of the failure of others, not because he all of a sudden became super dominant in practice and during games. I honestly think we saw all we can out of Coston and next year he will be an odd man out with Babre getting more looks, and the assumption that Thompson will bring in other options at the interior line positions.

Patler
01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Until now they had commented that Barbre had a real future, but probably would not be ready this year. I think their opinion changed.

I don't think Colledge will even be in the mix at guard next year. Spitz, Barbre and Coston will fight it out for the two starting positions.

Colledge may end up in a battle with Thompson to be Clifton's backup.

Patler
01-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Like I said before Coston got the nod because of the failure of others, not because he all of a sudden became super dominant in practice and during games.

No one suggested he had. However, I think he can still be more of a player than he showed this year. He's younger than all the others and will mature physically. He was hurt all the time this year. If he can stay healthy, he might still develop.

My point was simply that if they did not think Barbre could fill in if he had too, Coston likely would not have been put on IR unless he was out for a month for sure. Until now they never hinted that Barbre would be ready this year.