PDA

View Full Version : Christl Mini-Camp report - Camp 2, Day 1

AtlPackFan
05-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Thought you all might be interested...hope I'm not repeating another POST...my apologies if I am. Interesting comments on Rogers.

FRIDAY, May 19, 2006, 2:36 p.m.

Minicamp Report - Camp 2, Day 1
Defensive tackle Donnell Washington practiced, but still didn't appear to be in the best of shape. A third-round draft pick in 2004, Washington was held out of the first minicamp for not meeting conditioning requirements. In agility drills at the start of the Friday morning practice, Washington worked at a slower speed than the other defensive tackles. He couldn't push himself without getting gassed. But no defensive tackle showed more power on a sled drill. Washington might be the strongest player on the team. He said after practice that he had benched press 500 pounds a year ago and probably could do 510 right now. Washington, who stands 6-foot-6, said he weighed 338 pounds, down from about 345 at the first minicamp. He said his body fat was 21%. Washington was listed at 328 last season. He said he stayed in Green Bay after the last camp and participated in the off-season workouts. But he said he also took part in some of the workouts between March 20, when they started, and the first camp. Whatever, Washington said he knows that he's under pressure to produce. In two years, he has yet to appear in a regular-season game. "It's do or die time for me right now," he said.

Kenderick Allen, another big body at defensive tackle, looked to be in better shape than the first camp. He said his weight was at 328, down from 336 in the first camp when he tired easily. Back then, Allen said, "I was fresh off the couch." Allen was cut by the New York Giants for not participating in their off-season workouts. He said it was because of family issues. He added that the Packers allowed him to work through those issues and that he stayed in Green Bay to work out after the first camp.

One of the questions scouts raised about quarterback Aaron Rodgers going into last year's draft was his ability to thow the deep ball with accuracy. In the first team session, on a cool but not particularly windy morning on the Clarke Hinkle Practice Field, Rodgers overthrew a wide open Robert Ferguson on a deep post. In seven-on-seven, Rodgers overthrew an open Donald Driver on a deep pass and also threw incomplete to rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings on a deep sideline pattern. Rodgers put the ball over Jennings' outside shoulder and Jennings got his hands on it, but couldn't haul it in. And even if he had, it didn't appear that he could have gotten both feet down in-bounds. In the final team session, Rodgers underthrew a deep ball to rookie wide receiver Ruvell Martin and it was intercepted by safety Marvel Underwood. With Brett Favre skipping the camp, Rodgers worked with the No. 1 offense and took 50% of the snaps.

Defensive lineman Kenny Peterson practiced after missing the first camp with a shoulder problem. Peterson worked with the first defense at end in place of the absent Kabeer-Gbaja-Biamila. Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly, a sixth-round draft pick, also practiced after missing the first camp with an injury to his left ankle that the Packers thought might require surgery. Jolly said he didn't have the surgery, but had recovered. He wouldn't elaborate, explaining that he was instructed not to talk about the injury. Safety Marquand Manuel participated in individual drills, but not team work.

In addition to Favre and KGB, other veterans who were missing Friday morning were Ahman Green, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, William Henderson and Rod Gardner. Rookies who were missing were linebacker A.J. Hawk, tackle Tony Moll and linebacker Kevin Schimmelmann. Injured players who still weren't practicing were Brady Poppinga, Jason Horton, Najeh Davenport, Chaz Williams, Chad Clifton, Adrian Klemm and free agent defensive tackle Tim McGill. Safety Jeremy Thornburg and linebacker Kurt Campbell, two other players coming off injuries, didn't practice and weren't on the field. No NFL Europe players participated, either.

Ahmad Carroll and Mike Hawkins worked with the first unit at cornerback. Ben Taylor, at the strong side, and Roy Manning, at the weak side, practiced with the first unit at outside linebacker. Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Colin Cole and Ryan Pickett continued to rotate with the first unit at defensive tackle. . . On offense, Daryn Colledge and Junius Coston worked with the first unit at left and right guard, respectively. William Whitticker continued to practice with the first unit at left tackle.

Kevin Barry was back at right tackle after working at right guard in the first camp, but said nobody told him the move was permanent. Barry said he lost about four pounds since the first camp, putting him at about 337, more than what the Packers want him to weigh.

Carroll and Martin got into a short scuffle. . . Second-year cornerback Jerron Wishom made a nice play on a curl pattern and deflected a pass that was intercepted by Tracy White, a fourth-year linebacker signed by the Packers this year as a free agent. On the other hand, second-year corner Patrick Dendy got burned by rookie receiver Leo Bookman on a deep sideline pass and didn't hustle to catch up. . . Rookie linebacker Tim Goodwell dropped out of practice with what appeared to be an ankle injury.

mraynrand
05-19-2006, 03:34 PM
" Washington, who stands 6-foot-6, said he weighed 338 pounds, down from about 345 at the first minicamp. "

-----

This makes me laugh. Probably dropped the pounds in the toilet before weigh-in.

OS PA
05-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Ahmad Carroll and Mike Hawkins worked with the first unit at cornerback. Ben Taylor, at the strong side, and Roy Manning, at the weak side, practiced with the first unit at outside linebacker. Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Colin Cole and Ryan Pickett continued to rotate with the first unit at defensive tackle. . . On offense, Daryn Colledge and Junius Coston worked with the first unit at left and right guard, respectively. William Whitticker continued to practice with the first unit at left tackle.

Was Tauscher sitting out at as well? Or did Whittaker somehow pass him on the depth chart? (I sure hope not)

OS PA
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
" Washington, who stands 6-foot-6, said he weighed 338 pounds, down from about 345 at the first minicamp. "

-----

This makes me laugh. Probably dropped the pounds in the toilet before weigh-in.

If he is 6'6" and is putting up 510 lbs on bench he deserves to weigh in the 300's. If he were only 6'0 and in his 340's I would be scared, but at 6'6 and with that much muscle all he has to worry about is conditioning... He's not that fat.

Noodle
05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
That's true. If it's true that his body fat is 21%, that's not much over the average for American males, which is around 18% or so.

He ain't cut, but he ain't that big of a slob. Of course, he ain't an average American male but a friggin' "elite" athlete. So Big Fella better mix in a salad and got on the stationary bike (or something non-impact!).

AtlPackFan
05-19-2006, 03:53 PM

Was Tauscher sitting out at as well? Or did Whittaker somehow pass him on the depth chart? (I sure hope not)

I think Whittaker was subbing for Clifton, not Tauscher...I think.

MJZiggy
05-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Injured players who still weren't practicing were Brady Poppinga, Jason Horton, Najeh Davenport, Chaz Williams, Chad Clifton, Adrian Klemm and free agent defensive tackle Tim McGill.

Chad didn't practice so that's likely it.

Deputy Nutz
05-19-2006, 04:05 PM
21% is pretty shitty if your not Grady Jackson. American Males are fat slobs. Isn't that right Tarlam!?

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Its nice to know Carroll is getting smarter. He knows Martin is gonna get hurt anyways so he must want to take his injury prone ass out right now. Talk about a team player! :mrgreen:

mraynrand
05-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Optimal Percent Body fat

Body Type Male Female
Athlete <10% <17%
Lean 10-15% 17-22%
Normal 15-18% 22-25%
Above Average 18-20% 25-29%
Overfat 20-25% 29-35%
Obese 25+% 35+%

Of course, all bets are off where these Defensive linemen are concerned. I think Traylor (the Denver LB who ate himself into a DT) tops out the percent body fat at 45%. He'll likely die of a massive MI any day now.m One advantage of a body fat % above 30 is that you don't need a life saving device should you fall in the drink; you're already more buoyant than water!

Guiness
05-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Is that right that Washington hasn't appeared in a game yet? The guy hasn't taken a snap?

And he's talking about his bench. *sigh* I think he belongs with Hanz and Franz from the SNL thread, not with the Pack. All he should be concerned with it how he's going to get on the field.

gbpackfan
05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Its nice to know Carroll is getting smarter. He knows Martin is gonna get hurt anyways so he must want to take his injury prone ass out right now. Talk about a team player! :mrgreen:

Not to rain on your parade, but it was Ruvell Martin, NOT DAVID! Whoops!!! :oops:

Guiness
05-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Optimal Percent Body fat

Body Type Male Female
Athlete <10% <17%
Lean 10-15% 17-22%
Normal 15-18% 22-25%
Above Average 18-20% 25-29%
Overfat 20-25% 29-35%
Obese 25+% 35+%

Of course, all bets are off where these Defensive linemen are concerned. I think Traylor (the Denver LB who ate himself into a DT) tops out the percent body fat at 45%. He'll likely die of a massive MI any day now.m One advantage of a body fat % above 30 is that you don't need a life saving device should you fall in the drink; you're already more buoyant than water!

Frankly ann, that's just idiotic :smile:

45%? Really? Wow - I'm at a loss for words.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 03:07 AM
21% is pretty shitty if your not Grady Jackson. American Males are fat slobs. Isn't that right Tarlam!?

I am more of an expert on American Females.... :cool:

Harlan Huckleby
05-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I think we might make a little bit too much of the big guys coming into camp overweight. Well, it is dissappointing, and not excusable. But they typically need to lose 20 pounds or something. A big guy can drop that in 8 weeks of training.

Bretsky
05-20-2006, 01:18 PM

Yes, he's smarter; the punk knows he'd get his @ss kicked by most so he picks on a first year rookie to fight :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Actually, Carroll seems kind of tough for a corner. He does boxing or judo or something. He'd probably kick the shit out of me.
:D

MadtownPacker
05-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but it was Ruvell Martin, NOT DAVID! Whoops!!! :oops:
Ahh man, that damn Carroll. Is he ever gonna figure it out? :mrgreen:

Bretsky
05-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Ahh man, that damn Carroll. Is he ever gonna figure it out? :mrgreen:

good thing the colors are different on Sunday

MadtownPacker
05-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Actually, Carroll seems kind of tough for a corner. He does boxing or judo or something. He'd probably kick the shit out of me.
:D
Whats so special about that? Your wife probably does it weekly! Just ask Bretsky, he knows about getting a wifey beatdown.

AC is a tough lil guy though. He WILL be a Packers starting CB in 2006 and he will win the job not get it via injury to Harrisment or Woodson.

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Frankly ann, that's just idiotic :smile:

45%? Really? Wow - I'm at a loss for words.

That's MR. Ayn Rand to you buddy! (LOL). And I made up that 45% body fat thing. but have you looked at that guy (Traylor) lately. Bloated doesn't even begin to describe it. I have this horrible feeling that Traylor, Jackson, or one of these other DTs that balloon outta control will end up one day fused to their barcoloungers and show up on the news getting sent to the hospital on the front end of a forklift.