PDA

View Full Version : Hasselbeck--another shot at Green Bay

GrnBay007
01-06-2008, 03:36 AM
SEATTLE - Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck knew what questions were coming.

A 35-14 playoff rout over Washington insured Seattle has a second-round game next Saturday at Green Bay. That means Hasselbeck's infamous sound byte from their 2003 playoff contest — "We want the ball and we're going to score" after winning the overtime coin flip, only to have the opposite happen in a 33-27 road loss — will be replayed ad nauseam until kickoff.

But Hasselbeck isn't running from the boast or embarrassment of Packers cornerback Al Harris returning his interception for the game-winning touchdown. Hasselbeck began his post-game news conference Saturday by stepping to a podium, asking if he should give an opening statement and then delivering one that had the media in stitches.

"I'm just going to say it right now: 'We want the ball and we're going to score,'" Hasselbeck said. "Is that OK? I said it, I mean it. Thank you."

Hasselbeck then began walking away in jest but returned to answer questions about a statement that proved as accurate as Pittsburgh safety Anthony Smith's "guarantee" of a Steelers victory last month against New England. Hasselbeck said he isn't remorseful "at all, not even a little bit" about what he said. Hasselbeck thought his comments wouldn't be aired and were intended for two former teammates from his days with the Packers.

"It was funny, too," Hasselbeck said. "I regret throwing the interception."

Hasselbeck, though, wouldn't be joking Saturday without having recovered from an admittedly poor performance that almost cost Seattle another playoff game.

Although he completed 20-of-32 passes for 229 yards, Hasselbeck missed open throws and said he was "off a little bit." Such accuracy issues may have resulted from an injured right wrist he aggravated when hitting a Redskins helmet in the second quarter. Hasselbeck, who had his hand and wrist taped after the game, also had his thigh pad split in half when taking a vicious hit from Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot on a third-quarter scramble.

"Some guys don't wear thigh pads," Hasselbeck said. "It's a good thing I do."

Hasselbeck's biggest errors were two fourth-quarter interceptions, both of which were registered by Washington's LaRon Landry, as Seattle squandered a 13-0 lead. But Hasselbeck never lost his confidence when Seattle regained possession trailing by one point with 8:03 remaining.

"Matt gets in the huddle and he's looking at us with fire in his eyes knowing we're going to go out there and score," Seahawks wide receiver Nate Burleson said. "He wasn't down on himself. Nobody out there was down. We can care less about what had happened in the previous plays. We knew at that point in the game, we needed to make something happen."

Hasselbeck and Burleson did just that. The Seahawks had converted on only one of their first nine third-down attempts. But on a third-and-six from Washington's 38-yard line, Burleson ran what he called a "quick fly" down the Redskins sideline. Hasselbeck lofted the pass over Redskins (and former Seahawks) cornerback Shawn Springs for a 15-yard gain.

"I told him, 'Put it in the air. I've got a pretty good vertical,'" Burleson said. "(Springs) was kind of stuck to me and I was trying to head up the sideline. I kind of gave him a little body — a little Randy Moss — and went up and got the ball."

Hasselbeck then extracted his revenge on Landry two plays later. Hasselbeck said his interceptions stemmed from Landry "doing a great job reading my eyes" and quickly motoring to provide coverage help. This time, Hasselbeck looked off Landry with a pump to his right, then fired a 20-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver D.J. Hackett on a seam route down the middle of Washington's defense.

This is the kind of play Hasselbeck wouldn't have made four seasons ago against the Packers. Another example of Hasselbeck's development: He quickly changed Seattle's audibles after realizing Washington had figured them out. Hasselbeck said he waited too long to make a similar change against Green Bay, which allowed Harris to jump the rout for the interception that triggered Seattle's demise

"I'm probably not too different of a person," Hasselbeck said. "I'm a little bit smarter."

But to defeat the Packers, Hasselbeck must be a better player. The Seahawks (11-6) defeated Washington (9-8) largely because of superior special teams play and a defense that returned two Todd Collins interceptions for touchdowns in the final 5:56. Those turnovers marked the first time Collins was picked off since orchestrating Washington's four-game winning streak to end the regular season.

"My teammates played well around me," Hasselbeck said. "It was a good thing I got those chances."

And for Hasselbeck, it's good to have another chance for redemption at Lambeau Field.

^^^^Good luck with that!! :roll:

:cow:

Scott Campbell
01-06-2008, 08:44 AM
He won't have Shaun Springs to pick on against us. Boy was that guy terrible.

Scott Campbell
01-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Speaking of Hass, did you see the vicious hit he took from Fred Smoot. I read that it split his thigh guard in two. That's gotta hurt.

Bretsky
01-06-2008, 09:54 AM
That was nasty

Just watched the Sports Reporters and they were split on the Packers Seattle Game.

MadtownPacker
01-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Collinsworth mentioned how he couldn't walk after getting the same hit back in the day. Hass is going to GB all dented up. The DL needs to make sure to punish him badly.

Fritz
01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Seattle's defense looked pretty darned good, especially against the run. This game is going to hinge on the Packers' offensive line playing at a high level all game long.

Bretsky
01-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Seattle's defense looked pretty darned good, especially against the run. This game is going to hinge on the Packers' offensive line playing at a high level all game long.

This game is on TT's two second round draft picks last year. Tauscher will do fine versus Kerney. He's a gamer; remember when he shut down Strahan when he was going for the record ? If the OG's hold up and we are even on the turnover battle we will win

Fritz
01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Bretsky, you're still pretty down on those guards, huh? I think in terms of Colledge, yes, he's been disappointing. But Spitz (third round pick) has been solid.

I know it doesn't help this week, but I'm not ready to write off Colledge just yet, either. He may be a late bloomer, like Rivera and Wahle.

Bretsky
01-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Bretsky, you're still pretty down on those guards, huh? I think in terms of Colledge, yes, he's been disappointing. But Spitz (third round pick) has been solid.

I know it doesn't help this week, but I'm not ready to write off Colledge just yet, either. He may be a late bloomer, like Rivera and Wahle.

Not sure what I think about the OG situation. I like Spitz better than Colledge at this point. I'd say on a 1-10 scale I'd give that position a 5 or so. It needs to get better.

FritzDontBlitz
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM

If Colledge takes any longer to bloom he'll be a cicada.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-06-2008, 04:14 PM

:lol:

His heart just doesn't look to be in it, really bad technique too. Maybe he just needs to be stuck back at tackle in the future?

ND72
01-06-2008, 04:20 PM

:lol:

His heart just doesn't look to be in it, really bad technique too. Maybe he just needs to be stuck back at tackle in the future?

his biggest problem is his body isn't built to put on a bunch of weight to play guard, he is a lean guy that is built to be a tackle. His technique is that of a tackle. In college, I was moved from a TAckle to a guard, and it was a BIG difference. at tackle, you have a larger area to cover, so you take larger steps or larger slides, at guard you are almost in a box, if you play like you're playing in a large box you're screwed, right now he is in a big box.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2008, 04:40 PM
This game is on TT's two second round draft picks last year.

Colledge and Jennings?

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
NFL Network will replay the the 2003 wild-card playoff game between Green Bay and Seattle at 7 p.m. Monday.

mmmdk
01-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I WANNA CRUSH SEATTLE :x