PDA

View Full Version : Of Our Guys - Who's Gonna Get Paid Big Money?

Scott Campbell
01-06-2008, 09:27 AM
I think Jennings, Jolly and Grant are likely to get expensive new contracts at some point. All 3 are better than CW in my mind. Who else on this roster has the potential to cost us a lot more than were paying them right now?

Bretsky
01-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I think Jennings, Jolly and Grant are likely to get expensive new contracts at some point. All 3 are better than CW in my mind. Who else on this roster has the potential to cost us a lot more than were paying them right now?

I agree all three are more deserving; IMO it's probably more relevant to see when some of these contracts are coming due. Most of the D is tied up. Not sure who has earned a big pay raise on the offense besides those you mentioned.

The Cap keeps going up every year. Jennings is under contract for at least two more years. Jolly as well. Not sure about Grant. I'm not sure how many other players are clearly going to get more $$. Spitz maybe if he keeps developing, but he has 2 or 3 more years. Colledge, Moll, Coston.......we're just hoping they develop into average starters at this point. The teams so young there are not many deals coming due.

Next year I think it's Williams and Morency as the main guys.

That might be the reason why you offer C Williams a fair deal.

MadtownPacker
01-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Jennings needs to be locked up in the offseason because if he has another big year the price is gonna hit the roof.

Didnt Grant sign a two year deal? If he performs well in the playoffs I say lock him up too!

CW can hit the road.

Rastak
01-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, it's kinda early for Grant but if he keeps it up he could get some big money. He's only 24.

Jennings is definately in line for some money if he can stay healthy.

Hawk probably has three years left but in two if he keeps progressing he'll get a big contract.

Maybe Blackmon or Rouse can develop and get the bucks.

Pickett maybe get's another contract worth some money. Not sure how long he has left on his deal. Big guys in the middle get money late in their careers.

One last guy, how many years does Favre have on his deal? If plays long enough, he gets a pile of cash I guess.

Fritz
01-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I think if TT can get a low-cost year out of a young guy, he's not going to tear up that contract. He seems to be willing to do so for the vets who've been around (Harris, Driver), but with the younger guys he's going to wait til they're going into the last year. Why spring for a big contract until you know a guy is going to be a consistent performer? He did that with Jenkins, and the reviews are decidedly mixed.

pbmax
01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Grant is an exclusive rights free agent. If the Packers tender a qualifying one year contract, he cannot go anywhere. Don't remember the number, but its close to the vet minimum.

He gains leverage only if the Packers want to lock him up beyond one year.

Jolly really made a leap, but he and Williams are two different players. Jolly was the one guy beside Pickett who could stone a double team. Williams is more a three technique type, who is close to average against the run.

Jolly has a quick step and applied some pressure, but Williams has more pass rush ability.

b bulldog
01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
See ya 99

b bulldog
01-06-2008, 10:38 AM
TT will make the correct moves, I have a great deal of trust in him. TT won't overpay, he will do what is right for the organization.

RashanGary
01-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Cdub is a good player. I still would like to have him around for something similar to the Jenkins deal. If someone offers him a lot more than that, it will hurt us more to keep him than it will to let him go. Like SC sort of hinted to here. We'd rather keep our ducks in a row so we can keep the real playmakers when their time arises.

woodbuck27
01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Jennings needs to be locked up in the offseason because if he has another big year the price is gonna hit the roof.

Didnt Grant sign a two year deal? If he performs well in the playoffs I say lock him up too!

CW can hit the road.

Is that your 1964 Pontiac Parisienne Mad?

That car is too HOT!

woodbuck27
01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm betting that TT gets Favre Re-Signed ASAP. He's only got him locked up till end of 2010 if my memory serves me correctly.

Let's not doodle around and possibly allow this fella to get away Ted. He's showing potential to play beyond George Blanda in years (age). He loves to play and I'll be shocked if he retires this off season.

This also might be a great season to make his exit unless he really trusts that TT will get him what we need. Pull out the stops like try to trade up in the draft.

TT is more likely to trade down as it's never obvious who he likes. He likes to play the numbers game. Coaching and developing rather than pure talent.

Anyone see that Rookie DT Derek Landri make a nice play this weekend? He's one of a few I liked over possibly picking Justin (yauuunnn) Harrell.

By all means TT has to take a real interest in re-signing Greg Jennings.

We are going to have oor OL tested this Saturday BIG TIME. Seattle will put as much pressure on Favre as need be. If our OL holds up? - and only based on that I believe that TT will offer more $ to a falla like Jason Spitz. I'm not impressed with Darren Colledge but his natural position is LT not at Guard.

How much longer will our LT Chad Clifton play decently?

Anyone have thoughts on Chad Clifton?

Deputy Nutz
01-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I think Chad Clifton has one more good year left in 2008. He has never been one to keep his body in top condition in the off season and it is finally catching up with him with nagging injuries in 2007. Clifton has been a dream in pass pro and should have gone to at least one Pro Bowl based on keeping Favre up right for all those years. He isn't a powerful run blocker and has never shown an aggressive side while blocking, he has great feet and for the most part has been a finesse blocker while in Green Bay, definitely not a mauler.

Like I said one maybe two more decent years blocking on the left side. It is Tauscher that I am more concerned with. His play has slid this year and you can attribute it to an ankle injury, I don't know about his ability to do this but he might think about making a move to guard to prolong his career.

I really don't see Thompson need to extend any of the current players on the roster. Most have two years left on their deals, or are exclusive rights free agents.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2008, 06:07 PM
We have a lot of contracts coming up in a couple of years. A lot of these young guys that Thompson started finding in 2005 are going to be hitting their FA years. It's hard to tell at this point who deserves the raise. For example, for all we know, Jolly could be injury prone.

Partial
01-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Thats why I don't think he is even close to done with his drafting of 10-12 guys a year. If he continues hitting on some of the later picks this way he'll always have depth.

Iron Mike
01-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Well, it's kinda early for Grant but if he keeps it up he could get some big money. He's only 24.

Hawk probably has three years left but in two if he keeps progressing he'll get a big contract.

Pickett maybe get's another contract worth some money. Not sure how long he has left on his deal. Big guys in the middle get money late in their careers.

One last guy, how many years does Favre have on his deal? If plays long enough, he gets a pile of cash I guess.

I hate to admit this, but if I had to name 6 Vikings that were due for a payday, I probably couldn't do it. :oops:

It'd be more along the lines of "You don't have Fred Smoot anymore?"

Fritz
01-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Extend the coach.

Partial
01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Jennings is going to get some big bucks come the expiration of his contract.

My guess is someone will pay Collins big bucks, but not us!

Hawk got a big contract already so he got paid.

I would say Kampman gets renegotiated soon so he will be making some bank.

Rastak
01-08-2008, 10:59 AM

I hate to admit this, but if I had to name 6 Vikings that were due for a payday, I probably couldn't do it. :oops:

It'd be more along the lines of "You don't have Fred Smoot anymore?"

That's partly because they've recently extended three guys with decent contracts. Kevin Williams, Pat Williams and EJ Henderson. McKinney was also extended last year I believe. They Vikings are similar to the Packers in the sense they have a few promising young guys. It's hard to predict who may command a big salary in the future. Of the guys I listed for the Packers, only Jennings and Hawk are in the high probability range.

LL2
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Jennings is the only one that deserves a nice new contract, but it should only be in the mid-level range. He's not a top 10 receiver. I say hold off on Jolly and see what he does next year. CW can walk, but if we can re-sign him at a decent price TT should do it. ARod should get a new 5 yr deal so he's locked up until he's 30.