PDA

View Full Version : Whos the breakout player on the Pack this year?

Tony Oday
01-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Number one guy you think this year.

I think Jennings, gave us a deep threat and a guy that can turn any play into sx.

packinpatland
01-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Ryan Grant.

Scott Campbell
01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Jennings, Grant, Jolly - flip a coin.

Tony Oday
01-06-2008, 11:28 AM

only 1! :)

MJZiggy
01-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Jennings was as good last year, we saw it at the beginning of the season. He was hobbled by injury, but we knew he was good.

Grant is pretty intriguing as a candidate. He was expected to be good, but who knew how good...

But who expected Jolly to have the kind of season he has? He kinda came from nowhere, so he gets my vote.

cuqui
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Good picks so far, but don't forget Donald Lee.

b bulldog
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Jolley, Bigby, Grant, Lee and jennings

Joemailman
01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Donald Lee

Tony Oday
01-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Donald Lee

I Like it

FritzDontBlitz
01-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Jennings was as good last year, we saw it at the beginning of the season. He was hobbled by injury, but we knew he was good.

Grant is pretty intriguing as a candidate. He was expected to be good, but who knew how good...

But who expected Jolly to have the kind of season he has? He kinda came from nowhere, so he gets my vote.

Who expected Grant to be good?

I say a toss-up between Jennings and Grant. Jennings rookie season was a disappointment due to injuries. Grant went from 4th string to all-world in one season.

Scott Campbell
01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Ted's a player.

Deputy Nutz
01-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I guess when you say Breakout player I think of Jennings, Lee, Grant on offense.

On defense I think of Bigby. Jolly was really playing strong, but he got hurt midway through the season. Jolly is going to be a vital cog to this defense in the years to come.

Tony Oday
01-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I guess when you say Breakout player I think of Jennings, Lee, Grant on offense.

On defense I think of Bigby. Jolly was really playing strong, but he got hurt midway through the season. Jolly is going to be a vital cog to this defense in the years to come.

cheater you can only pick one :)

b bulldog
01-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks Nutz :lol:

Deputy Nutz
01-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Well I say Jennings because he has the most touchdowns.

Tarlam!
01-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Aaron Rodgers?

pacfan
01-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Aaron Rodgers?

I think they want a "break-out player", not broken.....

Tarlam!
01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Aaron Rodgers?

I think they want a "break-out player", not broken.....

Oh, my bad. :doh:

The Shadow
01-06-2008, 02:27 PM
#4.
Under McCarthy's control, he is, at least in my opinion, finally fulfilling his true potential. When the out-of-control gunslinger mentality is kept in check, the rookie mistakes disappear, and the Packers win games.

Fred's Slacks
01-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Jennings, Grant and Jolly were better than expected. All are good canidates but there was hope that they could be good. Some of the offseason reports gave me a glimmer (as slight as it was) of hope that Bigby could be good.

Last off season, I had zero faith that we had anything that resembled an NFL caliber TE. I was hoping that Bubba could return to form and at least give us something but thought for sure that Lee would be cut for some rookie FA. Lee has played outstanding and might deserve a trip to the Probowl. Lee gets my vote. I would have never imagined him having the season he's had. Hope he keeps it up.

gbpackfan
01-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Atari Bigby?

ND72
01-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Jolley, Bigby, Grant, Lee and jennings

First, I wouldn't consider Bigby a break out player. He plays like a linebacker which at times is awesome, but he can't cover worth a lick, which as a DB, is a problem. I'm still on the fence about him.

Here's my breakout player of the year, and for most of you who know me...it might be a :shock: wait for it......wait for it....Brady Poppinga. With Hawk and Barnett I considered us solid at LB, and have considered Poop the liability, and at times I still do, and still think he's a bit slow to cover the TE which he is mostly responsible for, but he plays with a fire, fills holes with a meaning, is around almost every tackle, and just like AJ Hawk, but propbably more so, gives us an additude...and I like it.

Jimx29
01-06-2008, 07:47 PM
No brainer

Not even the most diehard fan on this site predicted the #'s he put up this season

b bulldog
01-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Bigby was a player that was on nobody's radar before camp started. He has now garnered NFC D player of the week a few times and has made himself known. I'd definitely keep him on my list.

Packers4Ever
01-06-2008, 11:08 PM

Speaking of John Jolly, anyone know when he's expected back?
Or Kabeer ? I guess MM isn't giving out the info til last minute,
that's ok too.....

OH I forgot, Greg Jennings has had my vote since the first time I
saw him take off running - man could he run that ball !! :shock:

Iron Mike
01-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Desmond Bishop

Zool
01-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Jolly is on IR. He'll be back next year.

The Leaper
01-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Gotta go with Grant...none of us even knew who the guy was in the first month of the year.

Packers4Ever
01-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Jolly is on IR. He'll be back next year.

OUCH !
Thanks, Zool,

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2008, 09:05 PM
A lot of players played better than expected. Donald Lee. Clifton bounced back from some down years. Its almost more challenging to look for weaknesses. The fullbacks have been unimpressive.

Deputy Nutz
01-07-2008, 09:07 PM
A lot of players played better than expected. Donald Lee. Clifton bounced back from some down years. Its almost more challenging to look for weaknesses. The fullbacks have been unimpressive.

Actually the play from the fullbacks have been a pleasant surprise especially in the second half of th season.

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
fullbacks should be catching screen passes, flare outs. I guess they pass protect ok. I'm not sure what you are seeing. they don't get any carries.

Bossman641
01-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Fullbacks never get carries. I have been disappointed with the pass-catching of the FB's, but they really never have any chances. Favre used to love the 3rd down pass to Henderson, now there's hardly even a RB in on 3rd down, let aone a FB.

MJZiggy
01-07-2008, 09:20 PM
That's because we have an incredibly dangerous WR corps out there (who would have predicted that in August?)

Scott Campbell
01-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Actually the play from the fullbacks have been a pleasant surprise especially in the second half of th season.

I was shocked that they could turn Hall from a college LB into a serviceable FB that quickly.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2008, 11:27 PM

Clifton had down years? WTF? The dude has been protecting Favre's blindside impeccably for 8 years.

Partial
01-08-2008, 06:19 AM
People have been saying they thought "this", meaning 2005, 2006, and now 2007, would be the last year he would be effective due to nagging injuries. I think he'll be a starter for another year or two. He's an absolute stud!

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Clifton definitely took a step back after his serious hip injury. He looks as good as ever this year.

Fritz
01-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Jennings, to me. Put it this way: if Ted's pick is coming up in, say, the second round, and you had to tell him to pick a wide receiver or a running back, which would you want?

hurleyfan
01-08-2008, 10:05 AM
No brainer

Not even the most diehard fan on this site predicted the #'s he put up this season

Agree :lol:

MJZiggy
01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Hell, Favre himself couldn't (and wouldn't) predict this before the season started...

Iron Mike
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Desmond Bishop

Nobody else remembers the wood Bishop laid down in the pre-season???

Jacked Up!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHufxwBtCg)

In a few years when he's starting over Nick Barnett, I'm gonna bump this thread. :evil:

PackerPro42
01-08-2008, 10:17 PM

Where the fuck are we going to find a three sided coin? :D

I'll go with Grant, the guys a playmaker.

4and12to12and4
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
#4.
Under McCarthy's control, he is, at least in my opinion, finally fulfilling his true potential. When the out-of-control gunslinger mentality is kept in check, the rookie mistakes disappear, and the Packers win games.

It seems ridiculous to say Favre given his career and unbelievable seasons, but Shadows got a good point. Nfl Network reaired the Seahawks/Packers playoff game and even then Brett threw a few ridiculous passes to noone in particular 45 yards down the field, when Holmgren was coaching him he used fear, Shermy simply didn't coach him, and so for the first time in his career I think that Brett is showing his full potential, partly because of his maturity and partly because M3 is making him accountable without screaming at him. I think that he is a perfect fit for Brett and is why I vote for Favre also. If you look back, this is the only season that Brett is making great plays without all the baggage. Credit McCarthy for that.

MJZiggy
01-09-2008, 09:56 PM
You should finish that thought and just vote McCarthy.

Deputy Nutz
01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Desmond Bishop

Nobody else remembers the wood Bishop laid down in the pre-season???

Jacked Up!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHufxwBtCg)

In a few years when he's starting over Nick Barnett, I'm gonna bump this thread. :evil:

Hopefully we get a healthy Abdul Hodge in 2008 as well.

TheRaven
01-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Though there are a lot of worthy choices, having to only choose one is easy enough for me. Ryan Grant easily wins for me. There wasn't a bigger mess or a bigger obstacle for this team to overcome when he finally took the reigns of the RB job and was one of the top backs in the NFL in the 2nd half of the year.

Great breakout years from a lot of players, not to take away from anyone else.

The Leaper
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Breakout is a sweet arcade game.

Some on here can probably closely identify with a game that involves balls, a stick, and lots of frantic twisting and turning.

Iron Mike
01-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Breakout is a sweet arcade game.

Some on here can probably closely identify with a game that involves balls, a stick, and lots of frantic twisting and turning.

http://www.ataritimes.com/images/5200/superbreakout.gif