PDA

View Full Version : Vick to get sentence shortened?

GrnBay007
01-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Not sure how reliable this is...found it at AOL Sports Fan House. Seems odd. In the Federal system, I would think in order to get a deal like this, drugs would have had to be the driving force behind the criminal behavior. That wasn't the case with Vick.

Vick's Prison Sentence May Be Shortened

Michael Vick might be back sooner than we think.

Humane Society and PETA picketers better keep those posters ready, as there's a chance Michael Vick could be back on the field for the 2009 season.

Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the Falcons quarterback could end up serving as few as 12 months of his 23 month sentence thanks to his entry into a drug rehab program in prison. By connecting the dots, the story speculates that Vick could be back in the NFL for the 2009 season, as he would likely wrap up his sentence early next year.

Apparently the drug treatment program, which is only in place at the Leavenworth, Kan., federal penitentiary, allows inmates to wipe off up to a year of their sentence if they complete the drug treatment program. Vick has tested positive for marijuana, which ended up likely adding time to his prison sentence. But now that same drug test might end up helping him cut time from his current sentence.

Vick has to be in the program for a year, which apparently hasn't begun, so he's likely looking at a February or March 2009 release.

Now, there are several other obstacles to Vick getting back onto an NFL field. Commissioner Roger Goodell will have to end his indefinite suspension, he'll likely have to pass frequent drug tests, and probably most importantly, he'll have to find a team willing to have a dog killer on their roster, with all the bad publicity that will come with it.

But getting his prison sentence over six months or more before the 2009 season does make it much more likely that Vick will end up getting back onto the field.

Lurker64
01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I was under the impression that a federal sentence couldn't be shortened to under 75% (or so, I forget the number) of its original length. So Vick would have to serve over 12 months, likely closer to 16-18 months.

MJZiggy
01-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Dude seems to have forgotten that Vick is also still awaiting trial on state charges. And I think the NFL is done with him but that's just my impression.

The Shadow
01-06-2008, 02:35 PM
When he finally gets out, he undoubtedly will be on a very short leash

MJZiggy
01-06-2008, 02:42 PM
With a tight collar?

pbmax
01-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Entering into treatment would put Vick in the NFL's program. While I don't remember him missing games due to suspension, he could ratchet up to that if he was already in the NFL program at stage 1.

Patler
01-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Apparently the drug treatment program, which is only in place at the Leavenworth, Kan., federal penitentiary, allows inmates to wipe off up to a year of their sentence if they complete the drug treatment program.

I seriously doubt the program will allow him to wipe a year off a 23 month sentence, especially when the sentence was not because of a drug conviction, or a crime committed even indirectly because of drugs. I suspect the "up to a year" for a 23 month sentence on a non-drug relateed conviction will be only a couple months, at most. I will be surprised if it is even as much as 6 months.

mmmdk
01-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe he's allowed to wear shorts!? God that was lame :lol:

gbgary
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
When he finally gets out, he undoubtedly will be on a very short leash

With a tight collar?

preferably a shock collar.

oregonpackfan
01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
If he would be available for the 2009 season, which NFL team(s) do you think would be willing to take him?

MJZiggy
01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
The Argonauts, MAYBE....

GBRulz
01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
If he would be available for the 2009 season, which NFL team(s) do you think would be willing to take him?

I'm sure MN or Chicago will still be looking for a QB

Freak Out
02-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I wonder if he should have his teeth removed so he can't harm his cellmates?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/02/sports/football/02vickdogs.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Patler
02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Interesting article. I just assumed Vick's dogs had been euthanized long ago already.

Jimx29
02-02-2008, 05:46 PM
He'll not play in the NFL ever again. If Goodall allows him to return that'll show that he really isn't going to be "hard" on offenders

MJZiggy
02-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Interesting article. I just assumed Vick's dogs had been euthanized long ago already.

I did too. I wonder how many of them are really and truly going to be adoptable. It would have to be an owner who REALLY understands how to control their animal.

Fosco33
02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
We rescued a dog 3 months ago and have started obedience classes (10-20 wk course). LOTS of work - especially when you don't know the breed, age, background, etc. It was a bit of a risk but he's doing pretty good (mostly house-trained, on a schedule, learning tricks, very friendly - loves attention, a bit too much energy with other dogs though).

I hope somebody out there will rehab those dog's of MV (and then send him the bill).

mission
02-02-2008, 07:29 PM

I did too. I wonder how many of them are really and truly going to be adoptable. It would have to be an owner who REALLY understands how to control their animal.

I think the tests found 3. (that's it!) dogs who are suitable for adoption based on temperment tests. its not about controlling an animal or knowng how ... at thisbpoint in their lives these dogs cannot be broke to establish alpha.

I have two pit bulls and they will lick you to death but I've had them since week two and have had to raise them very sternly--even get comments from people with poodles or whatnot about how I'm doing it wrong. these animals have the potential to kill anything and it takes education and a strong approach to make them pets.

its sad, I love pits more than anyne but dogs who have fought--even once--need to be put down

MJZiggy
02-02-2008, 07:42 PM
According to the article, the ones they deemed unadoptable are in a no-kill sanctuary (I missed exactly where this place is, though).