Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question shocks draft prospect

Question shocks draft prospect

NFL Teams Ask Draft Prospect: 'When's the Last Time You Cheated on Your Girlfriend?'

by Michael David Smith

Tennessee linebacker Jerod Mayo will be a first- or second-round draft pick on Saturday, and before NFL teams spend first- or second-round draft picks on players, they like to get an idea of what kind of person they're adding to their roster.

But while due diligence is understandable, this question seems a bit excessive:

"They said 'When's the last time you cheated on your girlfriend?' " Mayo said. "They didn't even ask me, 'Did you cheat on your girlfriend?' I told them I didn't cheat on my girlfriend."

Mayo didn't say which team asked him that question, but at some point you have to wonder whether the questions cross the line from legitimate efforts to get to know a player into pure nosiness. Questions regarding sex, gender, sexual orientation and marital status are almost always considered inappropriate and are in some cases illegal in job interviews, and NFL teams need to remember that a job interview is exactly what they're conducting when they talk to draft prospects.

They were talking about this on NFL Network radio. They said EVERY agent is told a line of questions that could be asked, and non of them are "did you ever smoke weed?"...they are all "so when is the last time you smoked weed?". They do it to try to catch the player off guard. They also said they got the questions or line of questions from Donald Trumpf who does the same thing to anyone he is interviewing for potential jobs.

I have no problem with it.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

? HOFer
    I don't have a problem with it either. It's an excellent judge of character imo.

i was taken back a bit when i first looked at that, but after it sank in, i like it

if a guy can't be loyal to the one he's closest to, then have can he be loyal to a team?

as to the way it was asked, i have no problem with that either. its pretty clever

? HOFer
    I think it shows how much they like football, or how much the like the baller lifestyle personally.

I'm sure the reaction to the question tells a lot in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    like if the guy starts sweating and yelling at the scouts its probably a sign that they shouldn't draft him?

Quote Originally Posted by red
    like if the guy starts sweating and yelling at the scouts its probably a sign that they shouldn't draft him?
    Yeah...something like that. Or like if he'd say something like woman are only capable of doing simple tasks = no draft. :P

Blog Entries
    I think Mayo will be a very very good football player. Some still have him slipping til the end of round one; he will be too good to pass up IMO if he's there. Playmaker
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

i would think that saying something like that would improve their draft stock by showing that manly high IQ

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I don't have a problem with it either. It's an excellent judge of character imo.
    Saintly Rat.

and YES but. . .

An inappropriate question. No questions should be asked RE: Religion, Politics or Sex related. These sort of questions are often asked by people for biased Power Groups that harbour strong prejudices, thus discimminatory in nature.

They also bring out the smart a$$ in the respnder more often than not rather than the "sorry Bud, wrong question for me" response.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Re: Question shocks draft prospect

'When's the Last Time You Cheated on Your Girlfriend?'

Which one?

Re: Question shocks draft prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    'When's the Last Time You Cheated on Your Girlfriend?'

Which one?

Aside from it being illegal, if I were asked that question in a job interview I'd be very insulted. I'd also reconsider wanting to work for a place that assumed the worst of me. I have nothing to hide, but I wonder how the interviewer would feel if I asked them the same question, or some other question that crosses a line. There are other, more legal and less insulting ways to catch a person off guard in an interview.

If Donald Trump was asking that question to job candidates, he'd be getting sued left and right.

What ever happened to freedom of speech?

I wouldn't exactly even call this a "job interview". Even if it is, no question shouldn't be illegal or off limits anytime. The person can simply choose not to answer--or lie.

If in fact, a law has somehow been slipped through abridging free speech to ask such a question, it's a sad and bad thing.

Perhaps they should have players do some type of Truth or Dare gameshow format. I'm sure the ratings would be good.

Blog Entries
    We've got quite a few posters who have been in a corporate environment. In a basic interview, questions about sex, sexual preference, religion, age, and all kinds of other shit are strictly verboten and can get your company sued like crazy if asked.

I also have personal knowlege of all kinds of stuff that's illegal to ask candidate actually asked in informal interviews when execs are down to the final two, or whatever.

It's a wierd world, but these questions this kid was asked are way over the line.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I would have politely told that the interview was finished and walked out. I don't need that shit, there are 31 other teams out there, I will take my chances. I would have a hard time going through the combine and the whole draft process, hell I don't think the CIA screens as in depth as NFL GMs.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    NFL GM: "When was the last time you cheated on your girlfriend?"

Player: "A week ago, with your wife."

He's 22 years old--who cares!?? Too young to settle down anyway, besides, I dont necessarily want a boyscout as a linebacker.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967