Thread: anyone here have an mba, cpa, accounting or finance degree?

? HOFer

anyone here have an mba, cpa, accounting or finance degree?

if so, can you pm me? I am thinking about changing my major and have a few questions about the whole thing if its not too much trouble.

Thanks! Please don't respond in this thread. I'll bump it up when necessary.

edit - left some words out

I've heard that a lot of accounting work is being off-shored, much like computer programming.

but then again, what's NOT being off-shored?

Partial,

I'm finishing up my bachelor's in accounting right now. Be done in August.

Re: anyone here have an mba, cpa, accounting or finance degr

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Thanks! Please don't respond in this thread. I'll bump it up when necessary.
    Oops sorry, I PM'ed you

well since bossman already bumped it up...I'm just gonna reply here, lol...

I have my A.A. in Accounting. am doing absolutely nothing in my field of work that relates to it though. shocker, I know.

My advice, if you are going for accounting, to really have it pay off, get your masters and be a CPA...that's where the $$$$ is. and possibly a little less boredom...although i can't confirm that

? HOFer
    Mods can you lock this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by GBMichele
    well since bossman already bumped it up...I'm just gonna reply here, lol...

I have my A.A. in Accounting. am doing absolutely nothing in my field of work that relates to it though. shocker, I know.

My advice, if you are going for accounting, to really have it pay off, get your masters and be a CPA...that's where the $$$$ is. and possibly a little less boredom...although i can't confirm that
    Though I am not in the field of finance, I have heard the sound advice offered by GBMichele echoed by many knowledgable others--get your masters and your CPA.

Oregonpackfan

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Mods can you lock this topic?
    Working on my EMBA as I type....

I have a bachelor in accounting and finance. I never bothered to go for my CPA...it is a real chore to achieve and really doesn't help you that much unless you want to remain in public accounting your entire life. The coin is great as a CPA...after you spend 15 years as a auditing grunt. Most people I've known haven't been able to hold out for much more than 5 years in public accounting.

If you get an degree in accounting/finance, skip the CPA and work on gaining real-world experience. I think an MBA actually offers more versatility for down-the-road career advancement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leaper
    I have a bachelor in accounting and finance. I never bothered to go for my CPA...it is a real chore to achieve and really doesn't help you that much unless you want to remain in public accounting your entire life. The coin is great as a CPA...after you spend 15 years as a auditing grunt. Most people I've known haven't been able to hold out for much more than 5 years in public accounting.

If you get an degree in accounting/finance, skip the CPA and work on gaining real-world experience. I think an MBA actually offers more versatility for down-the-road career advancement.
    Really Leaper? Most of my advisors here at school have strongly suggested going for CPA. Of course, that could be them just pimpin for the school.