Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HARRELL- "Responding to his Critics"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

HARRELL- "Responding to his Critics"

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    But the fact Harrell admittedly wasn't in condition before damaging his back is as an indictment to some degree of how he has approached his career with the Green Bay Packers.

A bit disappointing if true
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Too bad. We really needed this kid to step up. Seems like he's a bit complacent.

I see him on IR before the final cuts to the roster are made. It seems to have worked for Hodge, although I don't see Hodge making the roster.

What I find galling are these two quotes:

"It's one of life's lessons that you learn and grow from," Harrell said Saturday. "Next year I'll approach it a little different."
    "People were doubting me, saying things. Look where I'm at right now."
    He thinks he's doing well so far and is already thinking about next off season??? I just don't think he gets it.

I was extremely supportive of this pick, because I think TT does do his homework, especially on 1st round choices. But I am ready to admit the error of my ways with this guy.

I think Harrell needs to silence his critics on the field, not in the media. The best thing he can say now are "I've been a disappointment so far, both to myself and others, but I'm going to do everything I can to come back from the injury and I'm not going to repeat any of my mistakes."

So far he's been a lot of nothing, with a few flashes here and there. It's too early to say that he's a bust. I mean, Pickett didn't really impress greatly until his fourth year in the league, but he's been solid ever since. But to say Harrell is behind schedule is an understatement.

I still have hope for the kid, but I realize that DT is one of the hardest positions to make the transition from college to the pros in, and I don't think he's made a lot of progress so far.

Here's hoping he plays this season, and plays well enough to shut us all up.
    </delurk>

Senior Rat HOFer
    This is indeed sad news. Hopefully though he now realizes that the NFL season is 12 months long, and works his ass of year round so that he can salvage a career in the league. In the meantime, it's a positive sign that Jolly is having such a good camp. Hopefully he can adequately fill that other DT spot and contribute when called upon.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64
    Maybe he's still pissed at the fans for booing when he was selected? Maybe he's sayin' "f**k Green Bay. I got my 1st rounder guaranteed money. Cut me, so I can go to another NFC North team and I can rub it into those Packers' fans".

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    Maybe he's still pissed at the fans for booing when he was selected? Maybe he's sayin' "f**k Green Bay. I got my 1st rounder guaranteed money. Cut me, so I can go to another NFC North team and I can rub it into those Packers' fans".

Which other NFC North team needs a DT? If there is anything this division has plenty of, it's DT's. Well, aside from the Packers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor

Which other NFC North team needs a DT? If there is anything this division has plenty of, it's DT's. Well, aside from the Packers anyway.
    I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, Tarlam! was making a joke about the whole Favre Debacle here...
    </delurk>

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, Tarlam! was making a joke about the whole Favre Debacle here...
    I know, I was being a little sarcastic. Favre could find a home in any other city in our division. Harrell would have trouble even making a case for it.

Actually, I was being serious, but I didn't think far enough about the glut of DT in our division.

Thanks for giving me credit, though!

I don't think that's it. I think he's just kind of a complacent kid who hasn't understood how hard you have to work to make it in the NFL. Hopefully someone can light a fire under him soon, or he will be a wasted draft pick. I'm not giving up yet though. i
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Too bad. We really needed this kid to step up. Seems like he's a bit complacent.

I see him on IR before the final cuts to the roster are made. It seems to have worked for Hodge, although I don't see Hodge making the roster.

What I find galling are these two quotes:

"It's one of life's lessons that you learn and grow from," Harrell said Saturday. "Next year I'll approach it a little different."
    "People were doubting me, saying things. Look where I'm at right now."
    He thinks he's doing well so far and is already thinking about next off season??? I just don't think he gets it.

I was extremely supportive of this pick, because I think TT does do his homework, especially on 1st round choices. But I am ready to admit the error of my ways with this guy.
    I don't think thats what he means with that first quote Tar. What he means is when he next off-season comes he will take a different apprach than he took this past off-season. As for the second quote I think he is trying to say that you don't become a first round pick if you didn't work hard for it. I think you are making too much of those quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    I don't think that's it. I think he's just kind of a complacent kid who hasn't understood how hard you have to work to make it in the NFL. Hopefully someone can light a fire under him soon, or he will be a wasted draft pick. I'm not giving up yet though.
    Yeah, maybe the guy could just "show up" in college and didn't have to do a whole lot other than spring and fall practice. He had a rep for playing passionately through pain and injury. Maybe he never prepped adequately (which is a career-killer in a league of guys who do).

We all hit walls at some point in our life where we need to up the effort to keep going. The lucky ones are the guys who have to do it sooner rather than later.

I met Harrell in the Atlanta airport before last season's training camp — just long enough to shake hands. I hope for the Packers' sake and his that he can safely rehab and still make a career of it.

Otherwise, we can recover about $6.5 million from upcoming salaries and roster bonuses if we cut him after this season and go for prorated signing bonuses.

EDIT: Geez. I just read the article. Kid, there are a lot of hungry DL players coming out every year. You've got the advantage that you're already on a roster, you've got a training/position staff for your development, and you have a playbook to study. Don't let any of that slip on by, or you'll be playing both ways on a 50-yard field.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

What's with TT's first rounders not named AJ, being injury-prone? :P :P

Blog Entries
    EARTH TO HARRELL

There were reports he was in bad physical condition in his rookie season...outside areas of his injury

Now reports that he was in bad physical shape in his second year

WHAT lesson can be learned that he didn't learn after year one

I don't know, but if you want to bash TT, here's a place to do it.

Harrell sounds like a lazy mofo, and I thought that coming out of college he was supposed to be a hard worker?

So far, an extremely bad pick by TT.

After the bust of his first year, the guy went home and kicked back? As the article points out, even DeShawn Wynn was working out. Harrell didn't get it and doesn't seem to get it even now.

I'm not liking the guy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    I don't know, but if you want to bash TT, here's a place to do it.

Harrell sounds like a lazy mofo, and I thought that coming out of college he was supposed to be a hard worker?

So far, an extremely bad pick by TT.

After the bust of his first year, the guy went home and kicked back? As the article points out, even DeShawn Wynn was working out. Harrell didn't get it and doesn't seem to get it even now.

I'm not liking the guy right now.
    Sums up my feelings pretty well. It looks like a really bad pick. It happens, but man, I was hoping he'd play like he did at Tennessee.

Speaking of Justin Harrell, I wonder how Jamaal Reynolds is doing these days...

Months ago, I labeled Justin Harrell a "bush" and was jumped on by a number of posters. It appears my description of him is becoming more reality than opinion.

The biggest factor for me in labeling him a bust is that he hasn't worked hard in trying to keep himself in shape. Is he really committed to playing football?

You might want to do a quick edit there, OPF...calling the man a bust is one thing, but let's not get overly insulting...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings