Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gene Upshaw, Dead!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gene Upshaw, Dead!?

Per PFT.com, Clear Channel online is reporting Upshaw died of cancer. Hope it's a hoax of some kind.

edit: Here is a link from NBC:
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26326065/

REPORT: GENE UPSHAW DEAD AT 63
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2008, 7:26 a.m.
    A report citing unnamed sources from Clear Channel online indicates that Hall of Fame offensive lineman Gene Upshaw, the long-time Executive Director of the NFL Players Association, has died at the age of 63.

Per the report, Upshaw had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

Upshaw’s condition not been publicly known, and it’s unclear whether others at the NFLPA were aware of the illness, which is one of the most serious forms of cancer.

It’s also unknown whether the disease had developed recently, or whether Upshaw became afflicated with it months ago.

It’s a shocking development, to say the least. In recent months, Upshaw had indicated a desire to stay on the job through the completion of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations, which became a focal point for the league and the union in May of this year, when owners voted to end the current CBA two years early.

Upshaw also has been criticized for his refusal to allow the NFLPA to identify his successor, out of fears that the league would then undermine him by working directly with the successor as to key terms of the CBA.

But now the NFLPA by all appearances will be thrust into disarray, with a power vacuum only two weeks from the start of the 2008 regular season.

Too young. I didnt often agree with him, but you cannot deny his devotion and work ethic.

RIP
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Well, none of the major sites are reporting it with the exception of one, MSNBC.com. I really don't know what to make of this, but I will hold off until confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk1994
    Well, none of the major sites are reporting it with the exception of one, MSNBC.com. I really don't know what to make of this, but I will hold off until confirmed.
    Yea, I agree. It's just one source and that seems unusual.

It's on the radio here too.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead
    It's on the radio here too.
    Im guessing a Clear Channel station?

actually no. for whatever it's worth. Seems like its the sad truth.

But then why isn't ESPN reporting it? or SI? or Sporting News? Seems rather odd that a story that would be "Major Breaking News" is ony being reported by MSNBC.com. This is beyond bizarre.

Pancreatic cancer is almost invariably fatal and in a very short time. That's what Walter Payton had.
    more freedom, less government. Go Sarah!

Quote Originally Posted by motife
    Pancreatic cancer is almost invariably fatal and in a very short time. That's what Walter Payton had.

Totally agree, but why isn't anyone else reporting it? I'm sure all the major news outlets are aware of the story now. Obviously they can't confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead
    http://www.northjersey.com/sports/ALERT_NFLs_Upshaw_dies.html

http://www.nfl.com/
    Is on ESPN.com as well. A sad day.

RIP.

Upshaw's passing is quite sad. For me he is a great example of perserverance, as in the mid 1980's, his stance that players should be paid from a pool of 55% of general revenues was widely mocked by media and owners.

It took almost a decade, but Upshaw beat that number by quite a bit when they hammered out the Free Agency/Salary Cap CBA in 92 or 93. No one gave him much of a chance.

The union lost its challenges stemming from the strikes in 82 and 87, and then decertified itself as the player's representative. Five years later, they (and other players including Reggie White) successfully sued the NFL over anti-trust charges. When they won, the NFL had few choice but to negotiate over Free Agency.

His public image was almost unlikable at times. But this guy took on the best organized and deepest pocketed sports league in this country and got them to submit. The NFL players union was considered the weakest of the sports unions, usually ascribed, in part, to their short careers and willingness to submit to authority. He achieved quite a lot.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I thought Peyton's liver dried up? Is that a cause from Pancreatic cancer?

Geez, there's been more deaths the last two weeks........

It's time for a physical.

Upshaw was a phenomenal player.

To achieve status as the head of the players union is quite an achievement. When he played in the 60's, racism was still very common in our country. For an African-American to be the president of a professional players union was unthinkable for that era.

Some of his decisions and stances were certainly controversial but he made great achievements in his life.

The news was just on Fox Sports Radio's national broadcast. He was a tremendous player and worked hard for his union, though I hope the union will now work things out with its older retirees who were so frustrated with what they saw as lack of help from the union. Pancreatic cancer is both fast-moving and very painful; the mothers of two of my childhood friends died relatively young because of it. God bless the Upshaw family.
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    I thought Peyton's liver dried up? Is that a cause from Pancreatic cancer?
    I remembered his liver being the problem as well, but it was apparently bile duct cancer (though there were related problems with his liver):
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=10910

Walter Payton died so young. Damn shame.
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

Blog Entries
    Get tested for all the cancers you can.

'Cause pancreatic cancer is one of those that has no test.

Upshaw first learned he had it Sunday. By Thursday night he was gone.

It's a swift killer, leaves you no time to put things together.