Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Packers Greatest player - Don Hutson?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Packers Greatest player - Don Hutson?

Don Hutson
    Winning Respect

By Ralph Hickok

It took Don Hutson a long time to win respect.

He was a pretty good high school football player in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, but at 6 feet tall and only 160 pounds, no one thought of him as a prospect during those single-platoon days, when an end had to play defense as well as offense.

However, a high school teammate was recruited by the University of Alabama and said he wouldn't go unless his friend, Don Hutson, could go, too. So Alabama Coach Wallace Wade reluctantly accepted Hutson.

Hutson starred as a sprinter on the track team, but didn't become a starting end until near the end of his junior season. Then, as a senior in 1934, he suddenly blossomed, winning All-America honors and catching six passes for 165 yards and two touchdowns in Alabama's 29-13 Rose Bowl victory over Stanford.

By then, Hutson weighed 175 pounds, which still wasn't enough to impress most NFL coaches. After all, as a professional, he would be up against much bigger players than he'd faced in most of his college games, and his size would be a terrific handicap on defense.

There was no college draft in those days, so teams were free to bid for Hutson's services. Only two were interested: The Green Bay Packers and the Brooklyn Dodgers. (Yes, Virginia, there really was a football team with that name.)

Hutson eventually signed with the Packers, but he still didn't seem to get much respect. He didn't even play in their first game of the season. When he lined up at left end in their second game, against the Chicago Bears, the Bears hardly seemed to notice. They were more worried about the dangerous veteran Johnny Blood, who was flanked to the right.

The Packers were on their own 17-yard line, but they were about the only team in the NFL that would pass from that position. Tailback Arnie Herber took the snap, the Bears double-covered Blood and halfback Beattie Feathers covered Hutson. Hutson faked to the outside, cut back to the inside, and flew past Feathers. He caught Herber's pass in stride just across the fifty and went on to score. An 83-yard touchdown reception on his first play from scrimmage--not bad.

But, despite the fact that he put up unheard-of pass reception numbers during his first four seasons, many hard-bitten NFL players were still scornful of Hutson because he wasn't really a full-time player. When the Packers kicked off to open a game, he didn't start, and he was often taken out during games so that someone bigger and stronger could replace him on defense.

In the middle of the 1939 season, Coach Curly Lambeau came up with a brilliant idea. On defense, he began using blocking back Larry Craig to play defensive end, while Hutson moved back to safety.

Hutson quickly established himself as one of the best defensive backs in the NFL. In 1940, he not only caught a record 45 passes, he tied for the league lead with 6 interceptions.

But 1942 was his greatest season. In fact, it was one of the greatest seasons any NFL player has ever had. Hutson caught 74 passes that year for 1,211 yards and 17 touchdowns. He also intercepted 7 passes, kicked 33 extra points and a field goal, and totaled 138 points.

Those numbers may not seem like much today, but Hutson did it in just 11 games. Projected over a 16-game season, he would have had 108 receptions, 1,761 yards, and 25 TDs.

Hutson caught more passes that year than the entire Detroit Lions team; he had more reception yardage than two of the ten NFL teams and more touchdown receptions than six of them.

When Hutson retired after the 1945 season, he held virtually every NFL receiving record: Most receptions in a game, season, and career; most reception yardage in a game, season and career, and most touchdown receptions in a game, a season, and a career. He was also the NFL's single-season and career scoring leader.

Hutson's TD record in 1942 was like Babe Ruth's 60 home runs in 1927.

Ruth's record wasn't broken for 34 years. Hutson's record stood even longer, until Mark Clayton of Miami caught 18 touchdown passes in 1984. That was 42 years after Hutson's incredible season. And Clayton was in 14 games, to Hutson's 11, in an era when the forward pass played a much bigger role in football than it had in Hutson's day.

His receiving records have gradually fallen as seasons have lengthened and offenses have become more pass-oriented. He hasn't exactly been forgotten--when he died last year, there were fairly lengthy obits in a lot of sports sections--but he isn't nearly as well remembered as he ought to be.

Unfortunately, many pro football fans seem to think that the sport didn't begin until it was nationally televised. While baseball fans still honor the memories of Ruth, Cobb, Honus Wagner, and many other great players from the distant past, Hutson is only vaguely known, along with such other antediluvian stars as Bronko Nagurski, Benny Friedman and Arnie Herber.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I think Don was the greatest two-way player of all-time. What he did would be unprecedented in today's game, so yes, I think he is one of the greatest Packers of all-time -- the greatest would be a tie between him and Brett.

Bart Starr!

Blog Entries
    Don was such an incredible football player that it took years for his records to even seem believable. Don was like a "Back to the future" player. It was like he came from the present and was projected back to '35-'45.

Some of his records seem amazing even in a present context, One that always blows my mind is some of his scoring records. Don scored 29 points against the Lions is a single quarter! He caught 4 TD passes in the second quarter and wound up scoring 31 points in the game.

C'mon, gotta be Barty Smith.
    60% of the time it works every time.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    hehe MAx McGee You have to love a guy playing football hung over!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack
    Don was such an incredible football player that it took years for his records to even seem believable. Don was like a "Back to the future" player. It was like he came from the present and was projected back to '35-'45.

Some of his records seem amazing even in a present context, One that always blows my mind is some of his scoring records. Don scored 29 points against the Lions is a single quarter! He caught 4 TD passes in the second quarter and wound up scoring 31 points in the game.
    Don Hutson would certainly be considered the GREATEST Packer by the older generation. I started in the beginning of the Lombardi Era so didn't see him but ALL I've read says he was the GREATEST.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

I'm obviously a bit biased in my opinion but I'd have to say Reggie White is the "greatest" Packer ever. If you could draw up the perfect defensive end, (Pass rushing/run stopper, power, agility, leadership, dominance, and production) I feel he possessed all those attributes and then some.

Reggie is in the top ten list of any NFL player, regardless of position, from any era, IMO.

Blog Entries
    The Pack has had so many great players, it's hard to pick one great one:

Favre? sure
    Reggie? a legend
    Starr? 5 titles don't lie

Thanks to everybody who mentioned Don Hutson. I can think of no other legendary player who is so unknown. I heard of Don in my youth from the old time Packer fans who were still awed by this Superstar. I even got to talk to Champ Seibold many times. Champ was a teammate of Don's for 4 years, and told many stories about the great Don Hutson. Many of the stories were pertaining to Don's character, rather than his fabulous exploits on the field.
    Don was a true Southern gentleman, quiet and humble to a fault. He was universally loved by all his teammates. He was really a humble guy and would always credit his teammates for his success.

On the field, it was another story. Don was a fierce competitor. He was much quicker and had far more speed than the average player of his day. Don could run a legit 9.7 hundred yard dash. He was about as fast in full football gear. When you see the old films of the footballers of the 30's and 40's, they look funny, kind of herky jerky. Not the flicks with Hutson in them, Don was fast and smooth. In the still pictures of Hutson you see him 5 & 10 yards behind the defensive backs, with Don a picture of grace & the DB with a frantic look on his face.

People talk of Jerry Rice, TO and the other guys of today. Yeah, they are great, but did they ever catch 220 - 300 passes in a single season? that's what they would have to do to equal the accomplishments of Hutson.

Don made another contribution to football that is often overlooked. When Hutson started in pro ball, ends played a few yards from the end of the line and ran simple routes like a down & in or a hook pattern. When Don retired, ends played like wide recivers. Pass routes also evolved. Why,?because teams weree copying Hutson and the Packers. The hook and go, the false shake, z in and z out routes were pioneered by Herber, Isbell, and Hutson.

I sit in my office as I type this, &I look at a picture of Javon Walker on the June calender page. There's a Packer trivia question on the bottom of the page.

Who were the two Packers who earned consensus All Pro honors a club record 5 times?

Well kids, waddaya say?

Hutson is the best and he is also one of the NFL's alltime greatest.
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    I would take Bill Schroeder over Hutson anyday. I mean, Schroeder is 6'4" and runs the 40 in 4.2 seconds. Too bad, Schroeder played in a different era. Hutson played in a era where there wasn't a lot, if any, black CBs.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

I have already posted a couple of times that my Dad was at the game where Don Hutson scored 4 TD passes in a QUARTER. He stated that after the second TD, the opposition put 2 cornerbacks on him--one to hold him up at the line or scrimmage/knock him off his route and the second one to actually cover Hutson if he got past the first defender.

Through shifty moves and sheer grit, Hutson was a phenomenal receiver--particularly in the day where the majority of offensive plays were running plays.

Oregonpackfan

we had this same talk over at packerchatters a couple of months ago, "who was the greatest packer", and it pretty much boiled down to brett and bart (IMO brett is the better qb, star threw almost as many int's as td's).

but then someone chimmed in with something lee remmel said. they said Lee considered Hutson the best ever.

it really is hard to argue with the team historian who's pretty much been there and seen it all

when you look at the numbers he put up compared to what others were putting up at the same time its amazing. not only did he shatter the records befor him, but he set the bar so high that it wouldn't be touched until the 80's. it is just like what ruth did. before babe ruth the single season hom e run record was something like 15, then he got 50-something, then took it up to 60. and if it wasn't for the roid-era that 60 would still be a god-like figure today

hutson did for catching the ball what ruth did for hitting the ball out of the park

"Who were the two Packers who earned consensus All Pro honors a club record 5 times?" KYPack

consensus All Pro honors ? Not sure what that means KYPack but. . .

Note: In 1931, the NFL picked its first All-League Team

**HOFer DE/Dt Reggie White "The Minister of Defense" was elected to 13 straight Pro Bowls. . .Named All-Pro 13 of 15 seasons including 10 as first-team selection. Recorded more sacks (124) than games played (121) in eight seasons with Eagles. . .Became Packers’ all-time sack leader with 68.5. . .Recorded 12 seasons with 10-plus sacks. . . NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1987, 1998. . In 1993,White became the first big name free agent to switch teams. He joined the Green Bay Packers and instantly helped turn the fortunes of the once-proud franchise.

The team steadily improved and in 1996 returned to glory with White leading the NFL's top ranked defense to playoff and Super Bowl victories. In Super Bowl XXXI he recorded a record three sacks.

** HOFer Don Hutson 1935-45, was All-NFL 9 years and league MVP on two ocassions 1941 and 1942. NFL's first "super end". . .Also placekicked, played safety. . . NFL receiving champ eight years. . .Topped scorers five times. He wound up with 99 career touchdown receptions, a record that stood for more than four decades. When Hutson retired in 1945 after 11 superb seasons, he held 18 NFL records, including 488 career receptions.

That was 200 more than his closest competitor.

** No offensive lineman was more decorated than HOFer T Forrest Gregg in the 1960s. He played in nine Pro Bowls (1960-65, 1967-69) and was All-Pro eight straight years (1960-67). In 1965, he was named All-Pro at both tackle and guard, where he filled in for an ailing Jerry Kramer.

** HOFer safety Willie Wood 1960-71 was recognized as a premier free safety in the NFL. He became a starter in his sophomore 1961 season and held that job for more than a decade until his retirement following the 1971 campaign.

Willie played in eight Pro Bowls (1962, 1964-70) he won first - or second - team All-NFL honors nine times in a nine-year stretch from 1962 through the 1970 season. Willie Wood was All-NFL six times and played in six NFL championships,and Super Bowls I, II.

** During his final two years in Green Bay, HOFer WR James Lofton broke two of the Packers' most enduring receiving records. In 1985, he surpassed Don Hutson's career receiving yardage (7,991). A year later, he bettered Hutson's standard for most passes caught (488).

A seven-time Pro Bowler with the Packers, Lofton was traded to the Los Angeles Raiders after the 1986 season, played with three other teams and retired in 1993.

** During his career 1953-63, HOFer C Jim Ringo played in seven Pro Bowls (1958-64). He was named All-Pro six times.

**HOFer DB Herb Adderley played in five Pro Bowls (1964-68).

** HOFer DE Willie Davis 1960-69 never missed a game in his career and played in five Pro Bowls (1964-68).

Nice analogy Red. I learn so much from you guys.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27
    "Who were the two Packers who earned consensus All Pro honors a club record 5 times?" KYPack

consensus All Pro honors ? Not sure what that means KYPack but. . .

Note: In 1931, the NFL picked its first All-League Team

**HOFer DE/Dt Reggie White "The Minister of Defense" was elected to 13 straight Pro Bowls. . .Named All-Pro 13 of 15 seasons including 10 as first-team selection. Recorded more sacks (124) than games played (121) in eight seasons with Eagles. . .Became Packers’ all-time sack leader with 68.5. . .Recorded 12 seasons with 10-plus sacks. . . NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1987, 1998. . In 1993,White became the first big name free agent to switch teams. He joined the Green Bay Packers and instantly helped turn the fortunes of the once-proud franchise.

The team steadily improved and in 1996 returned to glory with White leading the NFL's top ranked defense to playoff and Super Bowl victories. In Super Bowl XXXI he recorded a record three sacks.

** HOFer Don Hutson 1935-45, was All-NFL 9 years and league MVP on two ocassions 1941 and 1942. NFL's first "super end". . .Also placekicked, played safety. . . NFL receiving champ eight years. . .Topped scorers five times. He wound up with 99 career touchdown receptions, a record that stood for more than four decades. When Hutson retired in 1945 after 11 superb seasons, he held 18 NFL records, including 488 career receptions.

That was 200 more than his closest competitor.

** No offensive lineman was more decorated than HOFer T Forrest Gregg in the 1960s. He played in nine Pro Bowls (1960-65, 1967-69) and was All-Pro eight straight years (1960-67). In 1965, he was named All-Pro at both tackle and guard, where he filled in for an ailing Jerry Kramer.

** HOFer safety Willie Wood 1960-71 was recognized as a premier free safety in the NFL. He became a starter in his sophomore 1961 season and held that job for more than a decade until his retirement following the 1971 campaign.

Willie played in eight Pro Bowls (1962, 1964-70) he won first - or second - team All-NFL honors nine times in a nine-year stretch from 1962 through the 1970 season. Willie Wood was All-NFL six times and played in six NFL championships,and Super Bowls I, II.

** During his final two years in Green Bay, HOFer WR James Lofton broke two of the Packers' most enduring receiving records. In 1985, he surpassed Don Hutson's career receiving yardage (7,991). A year later, he bettered Hutson's standard for most passes caught (488).

A seven-time Pro Bowler with the Packers, Lofton was traded to the Los Angeles Raiders after the 1986 season, played with three other teams and retired in 1993.

** During his career 1953-63, HOFer C Jim Ringo played in seven Pro Bowls (1958-64). He was named All-Pro six times.

**HOFer DB Herb Adderley played in five Pro Bowls (1964-68).

** HOFer DE Willie Davis 1960-69 never missed a game in his career and played in five Pro Bowls (1964-68).
    WB,

Selection to the Pro Bowl and consensus All-Pro are two different things (BTW, this ain't to argue, it's a confusing deal)

The Pro Bowl is an All Star game. Although some participants claim All Pro status, that is reserved for consensus All Pro's.

Consensus All Pro's are players that are named to the All Pro Team by 3 out of the 5 top News sources (eg AP, UPI, Sporting News, Pro Football Writers of America, etc.)

My office Packer calendar is wrong again.

the answer to the trivia question i posted is listed as Don Hutson & Jim Ringo.

Don Hutson was a Consensus All Pro 11 TIMES!

WB,

"Selection to the Pro Bowl and consensus All-Pro are two different things (BTW, this ain't to argue, it's a confusing deal)

The Pro Bowl is an All Star game. Although some participants claim All Pro status, that is reserved for consensus All Pro's.

Consensus All Pro's are players that are named to the All Pro Team by 3 out of the 5 top News sources (eg AP, UPI, Sporting News, Pro Football Writers of America, etc.)

My office Packer calendar is wrong again.

the answer to the trivia question i posted is listed as Don Hutson & Jim Ringo.

Don Hutson was a Consensus All Pro 11 TIMES!" KYPack

Got ya.

Rat Starter
    Hutson and Sharpe are by far the 2 greatest Packer receivers. My pick for all time Packer though is #66. Ray was by far the most dominant defenseman on a great defensive team. 1962? title game MVP. HOF. Heart of Lombardi's defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbffl66
    Hutson and Sharpe are by far the 2 greatest Packer receivers. My pick for all time Packer though is #66. Ray was by far the most dominant defenseman on a great defensive team. 1962? title game MVP. HOF. Heart of Lombardi's defense.
    Don't forget James Lofton . . . but my All-Time favourite Packer on "D" was easily that Ray fella. . . with the funny Irish name.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear
    I would take Bill Schroeder over Hutson anyday. I mean, Schroeder is 6'4" and runs the 40 in 4.2 seconds. Too bad, Schroeder played in a different era. Hutson played in a era where there wasn't a lot, if any, black CBs.
    You're a funny guy, Tank. Hah hah.

Hutson was hands down best ever. Look at his numbers extrapolated over 16 games. 108 catches? 25 touchdowns? And I bet he didn't get nearly as many passes thrown his way as a T.O. or a Randy Moss would.