Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PFW : Packers, Walker moving toward complete separation

PFW : Packers, Walker moving toward complete separation

Packers, Walker moving toward complete separation

Green Bay

We hear the Packers are beginning to strongly consider dealing disgruntled WR Javon Walker. General manager Ted Thompson has steadfastly refused claims that Walker would be traded, not because he’s stubborn but citing concern that he would set a precedent that quality players could sit out and be rewarded. Thompson’s fear is that giving in to Walker may increase the chance others could hold the team hostage in a similar vein. But with Walker’s home having been placed on the market and his dislike for the Packers’ organization, including QB Brett Favre, becoming more public by the week, Thompson’s grip on his star receiver isn’t what it once was. There does seem to be a market for the damaged receiver — he tore the anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his left knee in Week One last season — based on the lack of veteran talent available and a poor WR crop in the draft. Walker, through his stepfather, Charles Goldsmith, told our sources that no amount of money or resolve will bring Walker back to the Packers. Goldsmith said Walker’s position, outlined to Thompson on Jan. 20, wouldn’t change and that Walker was willing to sit out the season. He’s due $1.15 million in salary and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next March. However, if he sits out the entire season, he would not be credited with an accrued season of experience, which would kill his shot at unrestricted free agency next spring. If he reported in time to play the final six games of ’06, as he’s indicated he would do if he’s not dealt, Walker would earn an accrued season, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent.

It pisses me off that he only has to report for 6 games to get credit for having played the season. Hell, at least make him play more than 1/2 the games.

? HOFer
    Well, they could play hardball and suspend him and not let him get his 6 games. However, I'd rather keep him, let him become a free agent, and franchise him. Then, they can trade him for atleast a second ala Seattle trying to do with Sean Alexander and Indy with Edge.

A 2nd is certainly better than what they'd get now. If all they offer is a 4, then TT should make an example. If someone offers a 1, then I would consider dealing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Well, they could play hardball and suspend him and not let him get his 6 games. However, I'd rather keep him, let him become a free agent, and franchise him. Then, they can trade him for atleast a second ala Seattle trying to do with Sean Alexander and Indy with Edge.
    The new collective bargaining agreement keeps teams from doing what Philly did last year. I'm not sure, but I think a team can only suspend a player for 4 games or something like that.

? HOFer
    Right, I understand that, I was referring if he only comes to play for the 6 games.

If he wants to pull that bs, suspending him is a very easy way of shoving bs right back in his face.

Quite frankly, while I don't want the Packers to be the team to do it, I wish someone would so these players finally clean up their act and start acting like role models.

Trade him! Trade him!

What do you think TT could get? I'm guessing maybe - maybe a fourth. Get rid of him and move on. The circus atmosphere of last summer did not help this team.

? HOFer
    I don't think it hurt it, either.

Tell him to honor his contract or not ever make any money. Tell him he can either play or they will suspend him and he won't be a free agent.

-or-

Franchise him after the season.

Hang onto him so you get value for him

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Right, I understand that, I was referring if he only comes to play for the 6 games.

If he wants to pull that bs, suspending him is a very easy way of shoving bs right back in his face.

Quite frankly, while I don't want the Packers to be the team to do it, I wish someone would so these players finally clean up their act and start acting like role models.
    Suspend him for what? Holding out? You can't. You could make something up but good luck with the arbitration hearing.

Someone help me out here.... Walker can come in for the last six games and get credit for the season..right??? So whats up with the holding the team hostage? Can't any player do the same thing?? Come in for the last six and get the season counted for?? I'm full of questions tonight.. But I truly don't understand some of this.

When a player reports, they have to pass the team physical don't they?

Something tells me if Walker held out for the first 10 games, he would have a very hard time passing the team physical.

I know if I where the Gm, and he had to pass for it to be considered as reporting, he would have a very difficult time passing the team physical before the 11th game was played.

Quote Originally Posted by AtownPackFan
    When a player reports, they have to pass the team physical don't they?

Something tells me if Walker held out for the first 10 games, he would have a very hard time passing the team physical.

I know if I where the Gm, and he had to pass for it to be considered as reporting, he would have a very difficult time passing the team physical before the 11th game was played.
    Then he's released right there.....that'd be even better for him than playing the last six games...instant free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro66
    Someone help me out here.... Walker can come in for the last six games and get credit for the season..right??? So whats up with the holding the team hostage? Can't any player do the same thing?? Come in for the last six and get the season counted for?? I'm full of questions tonight.. But I truly don't understand some of this.
    Yes, any player can, and some have. It's one of the hammers the players have. And if they are smart, they get hurt the first week back and the team can't cut them, they get paid and are UFA the next year.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I agree with Fritz, but not a fourth, at least a second if not a first day and a seconday pick. And I am low balling there.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Get rid of him then. People wanna get rid of Favre for running his mouth about the team sucking but Walker says the whole Organizations sucks and he should stay?? Hell no, trade him to worse AFC team you can for a 1-15 in the 2nd round at worse or activate him if he holds out but dont let him play and them franchise him.

If both sides try and play hardball, it could be interesting. Lots of issues to consider.

First is money. JW, AFAIK, isn't independantly wealthy, doesn't have any big endorsements, and hasn't gotten his big payday. I wonder what his commitments are, and if he can afford to lose 10 paychecks?

Now, he has said he'd retire before playing in GB again. I have to think that's a bluff - pride is one thing, but he'd literally be walking away from millions of $$$. So throwing out the retirement thing, one of the following would have to happen:

He sits the 10, then does the phantom injury thing, I think he screws himself. As has been pointed out before, he'll be 2yrs removed from football, and all he'll get is a 'prove it' contract.

The other scenario that's been mentioned is that he sits 10 games, and comes back for the final 6, to get his accrued season. If the Packers then tried to suspend him 'For conduct detrimental to the team' or something like that, I wonder how it would work out? Initially, he wouldn't get credit for the games, and hence the season. He'd appeal, I'm sure, and then I guess it would be up to the arbitrator. In the current climate, it looks like he'd win that one.

One more thing to consider - if he did come back and actually play the last 6, does Brett (or Rodgers, or ???) even throw him the ball? Not much, if at all. And I'm thinking he's the #3 receiver. So he finishes the season with 8 catches for 34 yards...not much of a barganing chip in FA.

i dunno *shrug*
    got me.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    WE ARE NOT GETTING FAIR MARKET VALUE FOR A GUY WHO TORE HIS ACL

And I completely disagree about moving him.

Javon Walker is nothing but a spoiled little bratty boy who wants to get his way and most importantly get rich in doing so. But the latter is his only real goal, and he holds none of the cards.

Javon Walker is recovering from the most serious knee injury in the NFL. We will not receive fair market value until he's healthy and we cannot accept a mid tier draft pick for first round talent. An example must be set that players cannot whine their way out of Green Bay, which isn't exactly a place most players want to be in the first place right now IMO.

Ted Thompson should make it very clear to this punk that if Javon Walker is going to play football in 2006, it is going to be for the Green Bay Packers.

Ted Thompson should make it very clear that if Javon Walker is going for his road to riches, he will first have to excel as a Green Bay Packer.

And Ted Thompson should make it very clear that we are not dealing somebody who blatantly attempts to use the media to get his crying wishes.

We are the Green Bay Packers, and Javon Walker is acting like a punk. Do NOT reward his immaturity. Make him play, or let him retire. AND as Partial keeps saying, if he does excel, stick the franchise tag on him and then get a first rounder.

But this little boy's antics should not push the Green Bay Packers around

? HOFer
    Then let him rot and franchise him. If he shows what it takes to be in the top 5 number 1s in the league, somebody will give a first rounder for him.

Moss, coming off a mooning and massive embarrassment to his franchise not to mention a grotesque sum of money netted the vikings a starting linebacker and the #7 overall pick in what was deemed the deal of the century.

If I am the Packers, I don't accept anything less than the Broncos #22 pick. I let him play his 6 games and show that he still has it so he makes the big bucks, or I let him fake an injury. Either way, what I do right now is I tell Javon he will be franchised, and if he wants a long term deal he had better come in ready to perform. That would be the best thing they could do. Since this season has already started, they cannot change any rule that would prohibit this.

Everyone's talking about him coming back and faking an injury. If he had a serious injury last year and comes back only to be "injured" in his first game back, doesn't that just tell other GM's all over the league that he's not back and gives him an "injury-prone" rep? Wouldn't that just kill the payday he so desperately wants? By that time he'll be how old, having never proven himself recovered from his injury and having another one. Would you give him the payday then?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I agree kids, let him sit the ten games. And when he comes back, have our punter waiting for him when he enters the locker room. Welcome him back with a drop kick to the nut bag. It's called tough love.
    "Litre is French, for give me some f*ckin cola!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy37
    I agree kids, let him sit the ten games. And when he comes back, have our punter waiting for him when he enters the locker room. Welcome him back with a drop kick to the nut bag. It's called tough love.
    SEEING WE HAVE NO HOLDER I WONDER IF HE CAN HOLD FOR THE DITRY BILL ON FIELD GOALS