Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers worktout punters today

Packers worktout punters today

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...er/index.shtml

Monday, October 6, 2008

DeBauche, other punters workout

Former Bay Port High School and University of Wisconsin punter Ken DeBauche was among four punters who worked out for the Packers today.

DeBauche signed with the Packers as a free agent after the draft but was released shortly before training camp opened.

The other punters were: former Pro Bowler Scott Player, Zac Atterberry and Waylon Prather.

Player is the only one who has kicked in an NFL regular-season game. He played for the Arizona Cardinals from 1998 to 2006 and made the Pro Bowl in 2000. He punted for the Cleveland Browns last season and was signed by the New England Patriots this offseason but did not make the team. In 727 career punts, he has career averages of 43.1 (gross) and 36.1 (net).

DeBauche, Waylon and Atterberry have no NFL experience.

The Packers also worked out long snapper Kevin Garvoille of UW-Whitewater.

Most teams work out players on Tuesday. The fact that the Packers did so on Monday could indicate that they are strongly considering cutting punter Derrick Frost and/or long snapper Brett Goode.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com
    posted by PackersNews.com at 5:15 PM | 5 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are they trying out long snappers? Isn't Goode doing a Good job? I thought the main problem was the way Frost is kicking.

TT was an idiot for releasing Ryan and now Karma is kicking TT's ass. I love it.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I could care less about the punter. I liked Ryan and wish we still had him but come on he wasnt elite and we were trying for an upgrade, they dont always pan out!

But then you look at a guy like Mason Crosby and i think he has worked out VERY well after letting go of another traitor!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Speaking of workouts, did they ever actually work Frost out before they signed him?

The guy needs to go. He's been successful in the past, and he probably has some talent, but he needs some couch time at the sports psychologist to get back on track. He can do that on his dime, not the Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk1994
    TT was an idiot for releasing Ryan and now Karma is kicking TT's ass. I love it.
    Strange comment for a Packer fan, in my opinion. Do you despise TT so much that you take pleasure out of the team struggling just so he looks bad???

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    Strange comment for a Packer fan, in my opinion. Do you despise TT so much that you take pleasure out of the team struggling just so he looks bad???
    Pretty ridiculous. A Packer fan hopes the team does good. A TT hater hopes his cat gets hit by an ice cream truck.

Seriously though, I don't agree with everything TT does...but I never root against the team just to make him look bad. That's silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brando19
    Pretty ridiculous. A Packer fan hopes the team does good. A TT hater hopes his cat gets hit by an ice cream truck.

Seriously though, I don't agree with everything TT does...but I never root against the team just to make him look bad. That's silly.
    I also tend to believe that cosmic/godly forces have other things to worry about than some perceived lack of character in an NFL GM. I hope Karma kills cpk's cat. If he doesn't have a cat, I hope karma gives him one, then kills it. Now that would be karmic.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Frost has been a disaster and he's only going to get worse as the temp drops, not that Ryan would be any better.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641
    Frost has been a disaster and he's only going to get worse as the temp drops, not that Ryan would be any better.
    Wolf is STILL to blame for the punting problems....Should have signed Hentrich in 1998. He would still be their punter today! In 29 punts this year he has 7 fair catches, 9 inside the 20 with only 4 touchbacks, 43.9 gross and 35.7 net.

and he was OURS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641
    Wolf is STILL to blame for the punting problems....Should have signed Hentrich in 1998. He would still be their punter today! In 29 punts this year he has 7 fair catches, 9 inside the 20 with only 4 touchbacks, 43.9 gross and 35.7 net.

and he was OURS!!!!!!

Agreed! Hentrich has been solid for all these years.

? HOFer
    Agreed. You don't cut a savy, solid player like Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Savvy? Solid?

Those are words I associate with consistency. Consistency is not a word I would associate with Ryan. He had a cannon of a leg but he was much too up and down.
    Go PACK

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Ryan's kicking for Seattle, right? Could be humiliation time this Sunday. I hope one of those guys can kick better than frost. TT arrived at a fork in the road and he took the road less traveled (choosing Frost), and has been all the worse for it.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    But that is exactly why they signed Frost. He was supposed to be the savy, solid player that Ryan was not. Frost's claim to fame was:

- four year experience , going into his 5th. (Ryan has 2)
    - consistent. (Ryan ran hot and cold)
    - very good directional kicking ability. (a frustration for Stock with Ryan)
    - 1:4 ratio of touchbacks to kicks downed inside the 20. (Ryan was 1:1.5)
    - 1:3 ratio of fair catches to returns. (Ryan was 1:4)
    - true 2 step kicker, 1 block in 300+ punts. (Ryan was still converting from 3 to 2, had lapses and has now had 3 blocks in 158 punts.)

On paper, and with Stock's familiarity with Frost, it seemed like an upgrade.

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    Pretty ridiculous. A Packer fan hopes the team does good (well; good is an adjective not an adverb). A TT hater hopes his cat gets hit by an ice cream truck (in front PETS members children).

In the long run Ted is right much more often than he is wrong.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez
    Pretty ridiculous. A Packer fan hopes the team does good (well; good is an adjective not an adverb). A TT hater hopes his cat gets hit by an ice cream truck (in front PETS members children).

In the long run Ted is right much more often than he is wrong.
    I agree with your sentiment, just not your numbers. I think even good GMs are barely right 50% of the time. There's a lot of room to be wrong in the NFL and still win - or to be right and still lose. For example, TT was probably right about Corey Williams, except that Harrell and Jenkins and KGB, and Picket all got hurt. TT was right about Rodgers (or at least even), but having an unsettled O-line and a weakened Grant for the first 1/4 of the season didn't do him any favors, etc. etc.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat HOFer
    TT is not an idiot for releasing Jon Ryan. TT is an idiot for not replacing him with somebody better, but I had about enough of Ryan's 15 yard shanks. Both punters stink. An upgrade is welcome.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Senior Rat Veteran

He is being sarcastic other than JH he is the biggest TT lover and BF hater on this forum. I hate to say it but TT is batting worse than Ben Sheets this year with his moves, although Rodgers has panned out better than expected at least be me. Look at the bright side we have already lost as many games as last season can it get any worse.

the thing that bothers me most is that it looks like they did very little research on him before they cut ryan and signed him.

right after we signed him i went to a couple redskins boards, and they were all happy as a pig in shit to get rid of him. they listed all the problems with him that we have been seeing since we signed him

and the kicker is, that ryan had a better net average between the 2. the number that is most important