Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brutal

Brutal

http://www.steelertribute.com/countdown36.htm

America Loves Countdowns
    Countdown #36: Worst Brett Favre Collapses

Interesting that 7 of these 10 performances came since 2001. This would seem to indicate a player in decline.

I have a feeling the Favre cult will not repsond to this thread.

Blog Entries
    Who is keeping track of the threads started relating to Favre ? I don't really care enough anymore to read any of them...but
    Chalk another one up on the score card
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky

CAN YOU HEAR MY FOOTSTEPS GUNNY?

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell

Damn you're persistent. You even went and started a thread to bolster your post count on the subject. How can I compete with that, after so vehemently stressing the fact that I don't start threads about the Favre deal. You win, but you cheated.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Blog Entries

I don't think he's been around in a while; hopefully he doesn't leave cuz he was a sound poster.........but I still think his scorecard was jaded

To be honest, the number of threads started by the Anti Favre group should be far more than the people who have not thrown Favre under the bus. Because percentage wise it appears that people seemed to be lined up in much greater numbers waiting for more buses

As usual I'm in the minority
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I don't think he's been around in a while; hopefully he doesn't leave cuz he was a sound poster.........but I still think his scorecard was jaded

To be honest, the number of threads started by the Anti Favre group should be far more than the people who have not thrown Favre under the bus. Because percentage wise it appears that people seemed to be lined up in much greater numbers waiting for more buses

As usual I'm in the minority

I ran through it quickly the first time. Then I read it again, and it was a pretty interesting read. But painful. I like the stories of his comebacks better. And thankfully there are more of those.

Senior Rat HOFer
    but I still think his scorecard was jaded
    We're catching up.

You know as soon as Favre officially becomes a Viking there will be 3 new threads started by Mobb alone, as well as countless others. We'll be so deep in the hole we won't be able to see above ground.

Senior Rat HOFer
    When you've played as many games as he has and as many seasons, it's easy to disect them any way u want to make it look.. It just gives CPK and SC some good feeling that over 16 years of service, Favre like any human.. Had his share of bad games...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor
    but I still think his scorecard was jaded
    We're catching up.

You know as soon as Favre officially becomes a Viking there will be 3 new threads started by Mobb alone, as well as countless others. We'll be so deep in the hole we won't be able to see above ground.

I know everybody would disagree; but Mobb should have his own scorecard.
    He's really on his own level of extemeness

Glad you are still around.....when you do a recount I bet you'll find it's at least 5-3 in favor the anti's

Senior Rat HOFer

I know everybody would disagree; but Mobb should have his own scorecard.
    He's really on his own level of extemeness

Glad you are still around.....when you do a recount I bet you'll find it's at least 5-3 in favor the anti's
    The last couple of weeks it has been. Overall... Well, maybe if Mobb has his own scorecard.

To be fair, Freeman shouldn't have dropped that pass in the Super Bowl. I wonder how differently Favre's career turns out if they go on to win that game.

This just kills me:

"Favre belongs in that exclusive group because no one performed better in the clutch.... Joe Montana was brilliant in Bill Walsh's West Coast offense, but if there's a minute left on the clock and my team needs to go 80 yards for a score, give me Favre."
    - Matt Mosley on ESPN.com
    Feb 11, 2009

WTF? Brett Favre was a lot of things, but picking him over Montana if you had two minutes left and needed the score? I mean, yes, Favre would be better than Joey Harrington or maybe Phillip Rivers even and I'm not saying he was awful, but he is not the guy you'd pick from any all-time list as the QB to take your team down the field with two minutes left.

Montana would be far and away my first choice. He had this sense of the game, like he was watching it from above. He knew exactly what the situation was at all times, and he seemed to see the whole field. Favre seemed to have that quality at times, then at other times he seemed to freak out a little and force a play that didn't need to be forced.

Based on my own sad history as a Packer fan, Steve Young seemed to be pretty good at the last-minute stuff, too. I think though I have no numbers that Peyton Manning is the type of QB who would be good at this sort of thing.

I'd be curious to hear what other old-time QB's had this quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    Unitas and Elway come to mind. Not sure about Otto Graham, but his teams won at a ridiculous rate.

Ask anyone who lives in Cleveland about John Elway's comeback ability...

I have no axe to grind, but I would say that part of why someone can write a top ten list like that is because of the length of Brett Favre's career and that his teams were usually in the playoffs or in contention for them. There's just an awful lot of big games to pick from there.
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerinmaine
    Ask anyone who lives in Cleveland about John Elway's comeback ability...

I have no axe to grind, but I would say that part of why someone can write a top ten list like that is because of the length of Brett Favre's career and that his teams were usually in the playoffs or in contention for them. There's just an awful lot of big games to pick from there.
    This is true. Favre had some great moments also. I'd say he was pretty average in the clutch in big games. Best regular season QB ever maybe, but he's had enough of these stinkers for me not to rank him in my top 3 QBs. I'd put Elway, Montana, and Unitas. I'd throw Graham in there also, if we are going way back. Brett is in that next group for me--with the likes of Baugh, Starr, Manning, and Brady. I'd put him slightly above the likes of Marino, Staubach, Bradshaw. I'd probably put him at #4 or #5 right now, but Manning and Brady have a solid chance at surpassing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    This just kills me:

"Favre belongs in that exclusive group because no one performed better in the clutch.... Joe Montana was brilliant in Bill Walsh's West Coast offense, but if there's a minute left on the clock and my team needs to go 80 yards for a score, give me Favre."
    - Matt Mosley on ESPN.com
    Feb 11, 2009

WTF? Brett Favre was a lot of things, but picking him over Montana if you had two minutes left and needed the score? I mean, yes, Favre would be better than Joey Harrington or maybe Phillip Rivers even and I'm not saying he was awful, but he is not the guy you'd pick from any all-time list as the QB to take your team down the field with two minutes left.

Montana would be far and away my first choice. He had this sense of the game, like he was watching it from above. He knew exactly what the situation was at all times, and he seemed to see the whole field. Favre seemed to have that quality at times, then at other times he seemed to freak out a little and force a play that didn't need to be forced.

Based on my own sad history as a Packer fan, Steve Young seemed to be pretty good at the last-minute stuff, too. I think though I have no numbers that Peyton Manning is the type of QB who would be good at this sort of thing.

You really shouldn't be suprised about that comment. It comes from a guy at BSPN. I would expet nothing less than someone from there blowing Favre.

I agree with you and would take Montana with 2:00 minutes left also. Montana did it in the Super Bowl. Favre didn't. Case closed.

I really hate this type of discussion because there really is no answer without looking at every big game every one of the individuals ever played. That said, I will make a few comments but won't bother arguing about them. Everyone has their own opinion, and you may agree or disagree with mine. Have at it! My comments:

I can remember no situation at the end of an important game that I felt Starr blew it. If the Packers were not successful, I can't remember ever feeling that Starr was the reason, that he had come up short in his performance. I never worried that he would make a bone head play.

On the other hand, ever since shortly after the turn of the century, I almost expected Favre to fail in a clutch drive at the end of a big game, it had become that commonplace. My family still reminds me of my comment in the Giants playoff game, just before the Packers drive started, when I said Favre would throw an interception. I'm not claiming any great foresight, but that was my attitude about Favre. (It is also why I predicted on here that the Giants would win. I had no faith in Favre in big games anymore.)

I wonder if the players still had as much faith in Favre as the media would have you believe when it came to a game winning drive in a big game?

I'd put Starr above Favre, frankly. HE played great in the clutch. Starr should be ranked in with the Elways and Montanas of NFL history.

I will say the Falcon playoff game isn't all on BF. I was at that game and if memory serves half of our offensive starters ended up limping off the field one by one that night. It was a truly awful evening. I still steam when I think of Sherman not throwing his red hanky on that muffed punt...

Dumb

This is the perfect example of football stupidity! Gee, "I'll take Montana with 2 minutes left". DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who would'nt with all the talent and brilliant coach he had.

ANYONE who's going to argue Favre had the same talent around him that Montana did, is an out and out MORON!

Does'nt it stand to reason if you have 2 QB's who are very good, that the one with the most talent around him is going to stand out?

Favre did more with less and that is his legacy. It's something the haters are to stupid to understand although why I don't know. It's not that hard of a concept to fathom.