Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: For all you HAWK Fans

Not sure about that, Bretsky, not sure. TT strikes me as the guy who not only says he'll take the best available athlete, but actually will. I think picking Young is not an indictment of Rogers, not necessarily. However, if TT got both Hawk and Carpenter that would fix the linebacking problem in a millisecond.

Still, if Mario Williams happens to be sitting there at #5, I'd grab him. If not, I'd trade down a couple spots (I think Oakland might want to jump ahead of San Fran, or maybe Boofalo will), pick up an extra second rounder, and then grab Hawk. Have your cake and eat it too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    Not sure about that, Bretsky, not sure. TT strikes me as the guy who not only says he'll take the best available athlete, but actually will. I think picking Young is not an indictment of Rogers, not necessarily. However, if TT got both Hawk and Carpenter that would fix the linebacking problem in a millisecond.

Still, if Mario Williams happens to be sitting there at #5, I'd grab him. If not, I'd trade down a couple spots (I think Oakland might want to jump ahead of San Fran, or maybe Boofalo will), pick up an extra second rounder, and then grab Hawk. Have your cake and eat it too.
    I'll rephrase; if TT had confidence that Aaron Rodgers were the answer he'd ignore Young. Best available is fine, but with a top 5 pick you won't see Green Bay drafting a LT, or at least I don't think they will, even if Ferguson is best available.

I would not mind seeing that trade occur, but I do think it's a pipe dream. The Raiders don't think we are taking a QB so they won't be offering much to trade up. And they are also said to be enamored by AJ Hawk, who the Niners also like. I guess I could see Buffalo, but I'd be very disappointed if we traded out of what I think is the top tier of players..Leinart, M Williams, V Davis, Reggie Bush, Ferguson, and AJ Hawk. If we move to 8 we won't see any of those guys.

Looks like this thread has taken a different direction, but back to Hawk...

Pete Prisco's latest draft has Hawk going #2 to NO - that's definitely the highest I've seen him on the board (He has BG taking Mario, btw)
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness
    Looks like this thread has taken a different direction, but back to Hawk...

Pete Prisco's latest draft has Hawk going #2 to NO - that's definitely the highest I've seen him on the board (He has BG taking Mario, btw)
    I listed to ESPN today while I was shopping for a birthday gift for a female realtor who sends me a lot of clients.

The ESPN guy Todd McShay sp ? was getting interviewed.

He's completely convinced the Saints are drafting Mario now, and also thinks the Jets brass actually wants D Ferguson and is hoping Leinart is off the board by then so it's an easy choice.

He also noted the Titan brass is split and the scouts want V Young, but the coaches prefer Leinart. Norm Chow, Leinart's old offensive coach, really wants him.

He thinks Green Bay ends up with the Hawkmeister, but said TT and scouts have shown a keen interest in Vince Young.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    If Favre doesn't come back and Thompson takes a quarterback at #5, he needs to admit the fact to the fans of the Green Bay Packers that Rogers was the wrong pick last year, and that he made a terrible mistake that might hold this franchise back for several years.

He takes Hawk, he automatically improves the defense ten fold.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutz
    If Favre doesn't come back and Thompson takes a quarterback at #5, he needs to admit the fact to the fans of the Green Bay Packers that Rogers was the wrong pick last year, and that he made a terrible mistake that might hold this franchise back for several years.

He takes Hawk, he automatically improves the defense ten fold.

I agree completely; The reason I HATED the Rodgers pick last year, excluding his average at best arm, was the fact that decent and more proven QB's are available every year. We had a chance to stack the defensive talent on our roster last year with multiple picks and instead went for a QB and WR.

Hawk makes an incredibly weak group slightly below average. Maybe we get lucky in round 2 and Carpenter slips and our group is strong for many years to come.

One can only hope

One thing to consider: maybe TT is letting it get out he's enamored with Young so that the Raiders decide they'd best trade up to get him.

My fantasy (beyond the one about the hot older woman) is that it goes Bush, Ferguson, Young, Leinart, and Williams to the Pack with the #5. Barring that I'd like to see them trade down to #7 or #8 and grab Hawk and a second round pick. Personally I believe Hawk will still be there at #8 even.

Blog Entries
    One thing to consider: maybe TT is letting it get out he's enamored with Young so that the Raiders decide they'd best trade up to get him.

My fantasy (beyond the one about the hot older woman) is that it goes Bush, Ferguson, Young, Leinart, and Williams to the Pack with the #5. Barring that I'd like to see them trade down to #7 or #8 and grab Hawk and a second round pick. Personally I believe Hawk will still be there at #8 even.
    San Fran will lost their top LB and has a need there. I'd be surprised if they pass him up. And if Buffalo trades up there and grabs Young there is no way Hawk lasts til 8 IMO

I kind of think because the Pack has such a need at that spot we are overvaluing the linebacker spot. San Fran has many needs, like the Pack. A fast, strong tight end like Davis, for example. Or a corner/safety. Remember too this is supposed to be a deep year for linebackers, so teams may think they can pick a guy up later.

Blog Entries
    I kind of think because the Pack has such a need at that spot we are overvaluing the linebacker spot. San Fran has many needs, like the Pack. A fast, strong tight end like Davis, for example. Or a corner/safety. Remember too this is supposed to be a deep year for linebackers, so teams may think they can pick a guy up later.
    I'm going back to my roots here.

The best 6 players in this draft in no particular order are

Leinart
    Bush
    Hawk
    Williams
    Ferguson
    Davis

I want one. I don't have a good feel of whether V Young belongs in there or not. But I think most GM's would have these six at the top and then some would included Young and some would not.

I've closely watched AJ Hawk for four bloody Ohio State hating years. The guy is awesome. I'd have no problem with Ted Thompson taking AJ Hawk over Mario Williams, who has tremendous upside but I'm not convinced he'll contribute that much in his rookie year.