Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jordy love

Jordy love

Jordy

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...for-next-level

Green Bay Packers receiver Jordy Nelson has put together a phenomenal offseason in his third year, demanding attention with his play in organized team activity practices and minicamp.

Passes stuck to his gloves. Defenders couldn’t keep up. Any ball in his vicinity seemed catchable.

As quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his bag of offensive toys prepare for what the organization hopes is a lengthy playoff run, Nelson looks ready for a bigger role.

“Jordy has had, by far, his best offseason,” receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. “He’s feeling so comfortable out there, that he’s making a ton of plays.”

The team prides itself on drafting and developing its own players and examples litter the roster: Aaron Rodgers, Donald Driver, Jermichael Finley, Greg Jennings, Nick Barnett. Putting Nelson in that group with proven commodities is premature after an offseason running routes in shorts and helmets, but no one denies the strides he has made.

“Thing about Jordy is, when he first came in you looked at him and said this guy has all the talent to be a great receiver,” Driver said. “Jordy just wants an opportunity.

“The good thing about it is our receiving group is so deep, (but) it’s hard for guys to get that opportunity.”

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    Hopefully JN does not have to rtn kicks next season and emerges as a legit threat.

I know it's OTA's, but I'm buying the Jordy hype. He has size, strength, hands, deep speed and just enough wiggle. Driver, Jennings and Jones bring similar skillsets as guys who rely on separation and burst. Nelson and Finley are different. They rely on their size and hands to catch the ball in traffic and deep speed for their positions to stretch the field at times.

Nelson and Finley both have the type of potential that if it clicks right for them, Rodgers will have a couple of guys he can line up against the wrong defensive alignment on 3rd and long, throw the ball into a tight spot and these guys can keep a drive alive by catching an extremely tough ball. They also both bring a redzone skillset that we don't really have otherwise.

And then the occasional bomb becuase of their deep speed doesn't hurt either.

Blog Entries
    Jordy is faster than Jones if I'm not mistaken. I'd categorize Jones with Finley more than Jordy.

EDIT: They are both 4.55 guys, so I retract the speed comment. I see Nelson as more athletic and less stiff than Jones. Neither has a ton of juke, but I think Jordy's a more potent receiver.

It's summertime. Temps getting hotter here in Michigan.

Time for a king-sized pitcher of Kool-Aid!

Count me in!

Blog Entries
    Both guys average about 14 yds a catch, and Jones did have 5 TD catches last year vs. Nelson's 2, which I'd say is too small a sample to say a lot about. There's little to differentiate the two statistically, other than their drop rates, but that doesn't really say much about their athleticism.

I like Nelson better for this year, even though he caught fewer balls and TD's last year. Wasn't he hurt for some time last year?

On Jones's behalf I will say that he seems to have a nose for the end zone. He catches the ball and if he's got open space he seems to have an ability to get to the endzone. That's my impression.

However, he also seems to have a hard time getting open against man-to-man coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by vince
    Jordy is faster than Jones if I'm not mistaken. I'd categorize Jones with Finley more than Jordy.

EDIT: They are both 4.55 guys, so I retract the speed comment. I see Nelson as more athletic and less stiff than Jones. Neither has a ton of juke, but I think Jordy's a more potent receiver.
    Someone on her posted a while back (PB? Waldo? Lurker? Patler?) in response to who the fastest person on the team was. It was said by the poster that Tramon Williams had the best short speed and Jordy Nelson had the best long speed. So while at the combine Nelson and Jones may have both posted 4.55s, it appears they don't have the same type of speed.

Me, I like them both and can see (when DD hangs them up) them both pairing to complement Jennings. Jones in the slot and Nelson along the sideline.

I agree that Jones seems suited to the slot. He doesn't do so well trying to go long down the sideline. But he's a strong dude and ought to be able to catch stuff over the middle.

Blog Entries
    What I should have said regarding JH's comments (a little too early in the morning) is that I agree with it all except that I wouldn't put Jones in the same category as Jennings and Driver when it comes to separation and burst. I'd put him more in the Nelson/Finley camp in that regard. Jones is a good receiver IMO, but he's not nearly as elusive as Jennings or Driver.

JH did comment on Nelson's long speed, so I was off base in interpreting his categorization of Jordy with a tight end relative to the other three guys to mean something he didn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    I agree that Jones seems suited to the slot. He doesn't do so well trying to go long down the sideline.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...Jones-TD-catch

Blog Entries
    And there's this one. What a perfect throw.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-...4-yard-TD-Pass

And there's this one. What a perfect throw.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-...4-yard-TD-Pass
    I was going to post, "tell that to champ bailey"

edit: oops, quoted the wrong post, but you get the idea
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Dammit, one time I saw Jones get hung up by a corner and I'm basing my opinion on that and I'm not changing it. I don't care how many James-Jones-goes-deep videos you show!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon

Someone on her posted a while back (PB? Waldo? Lurker? Patler?) in response to who the fastest person on the team was. It was said by the poster that Tramon Williams had the best short speed and Jordy Nelson had the best long speed. So while at the combine Nelson and Jones may have both posted 4.55s, it appears they don't have the same type of speed.

Me, I like them both and can see (when DD hangs them up) them both pairing to complement Jennings. Jones in the slot and Nelson along the sideline.
    I seem to recall that Clay Matthews has the best 10 yard time on the team. (I realize that comparing offense to defense here is not relevant, but what distance are you talking about when you say short speed?)

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand

I seem to recall that Clay Matthews has the best 10 yard time on the team. (I realize that comparing offense to defense here is not relevant, but what distance are you talking about when you say short speed?)
    I thought Nick Collins was the fastest guy on the roster. Too busy to look it up right now though.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by get louder at lambeau
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand

I thought Nick Collins was the fastest guy on the roster. Too busy to look it up right now though.
    I think you're right - with Clowney and Hawkins off the roster - but I think it still depends on distance. Collins probably has the fastest 40 time (4.34).

Are those times on Nelson and Jones legit combine times--because I'd be shocked if Nelson wasn't faster? There are things to like about Jones, but he runs like a TE.

Nelson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordy_Nelson

After the season, Nelson continued to improve his stock as one of the best wide receiver prospects in the 2008 NFL Draft. At the NFL Combine. Nelson showed he has speed running an official 4.47 in the 40 yd dash.
    Jones

http://gnb.scout.com/2/639827.html

AGILITY TESTS
    Campus: 4.59 in the 40-yard dash
    Combine: 4.6 in the 40-yard dash