Posted August 3, 2006

Sara White finds peace without Reggie

Family and friends doubt that Reggie’s legacy will be marred by the past controversy.

“All I know for sure is the way I’ll remember my dad,” says Jecolia. “He will always be the greatest man I’ve ever known, a wonderful father, a minister who did a lot more than just talk the talk, an extremely talented football player ... He always strived to make things better.”

A decade ago, Reggie brought attention to a rash of church burnings that included his own in Knoxville, Tenn. He built a home for unwed mothers. He established the Urban Hope Entrepreneur Center, an entity that still exists in Green Bay and has taught hundreds with courses designed to build businesses.

Sara, still president of the board for Urban Hope, says there are plans to expand.

She is mulling other pursuits that exemplify the type of causes Reggie was committed to, such as establishing a fund to aid the most needy NFL retirees.

“My goal is to find some of the older guys and support them monthly,” she says. “Some people give you $2,000, and that’s it. I want to find 10 guys who really need it and facilitate monthly checks to them.”

Sara sounds a lot like Reggie, a visionary who lived to pursue big dreams.

We had him - for OUR last link to GLORY in the NFL.

Dedicated here to Reggie White's wife - Sara. woodbuck27