Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidney Rice has hip surgery....out at least half the season!

Sidney Rice has hip surgery....out at least half the season!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-hip-surgery/

Story says he may have surgery, on NFL radio they said its already done.

Just heard on NFL Radio that Rice is out half the season after hip surgery, reported by Judd Zulgad or watever his name is. Peter King and Ross Tucker were saying #4 likely does not come back if this was out two weeks ago. Interesting....
    Chris: Dad, what's the blow-hole for?
    Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...DEh7P:grin:iUs

He had it done. No Rice + Harvin's migranes = WR nightmare for the Vikings. I don't know about you all, but Shiancoe's value just skyrocketed for me in fantasy football.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

At least they will have Javon to pick up all the slack.

I am a little biased, but this is a huge blow considering the early season schedule they have is really tough.
    Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

You gotta think they knew about this already but didn't want it to happen until Brett made a commitment to coming back. That's very much within the Childress realm of coaching probability.

They caught some lightning in a bottle for most of last season and I can't help but think it's going to be the exact opposite this year. I'll hopefully get to enjoy following every moment of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mission
    You gotta think they knew about this already but didn't want it to happen until Brett made a commitment to coming back. That's very much within the Childress realm of coaching probability.

They caught some lightning in a bottle for most of last season and I can't help but think it's going to be the exact opposite this year. I'll hopefully get to enjoy following every moment of it.
    I could not agree with you more. And I hope we are right.

Hip surgery doesn't sound like something that a player comes raging back from at 100% as soon as the rehab is over, does it? Sounds like something that could hold him back for a full year to me. But I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on TV either. And no, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently.

I am not sure they did themselves any favors by signing Javon Walker. He would be the come back player of the year if he puts up the numbers he did in 2004 and I don't think that's going to happen.
    "Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

To the Favre fans, Favre made Rice what he was last year anyway. He should be able to do it again with whoever they throw out there. No excuses.

Barrian
    Shiancoe
    Harvin
    Peterson

That's still a decent group. Rice was their superstar pass catcher though and Favre relies heavily on throwing to his best guys in tightly covered spaces. Harvin isn't that type of player as far as I can tell. He's dangerous, but not that, "catch it in traffic" type that Favre loves. Barrian definitely isn't that type. Shiancoe a little, but he's not a dynamite weapon.

This definitely hurts the Vikings. Hopefully Jenkins and Bulaga come back and we have a really healthy run. Would love to take the North this year.

I'd say Adrian Peterson's value just went up too. No Chester and now no Sydney Rice. He's their true bell cow at RB and now he's not competing with Rice for TD's. He should get more.

I'd put Peterson back at #2 overall in fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    I'd say Adrian Peterson's value just went up too. No Chester and now no Sydney Rice. He's their true bell cow at RB and now he's not competing with Rice for TD's. He should get more.

I had him at #1 before this injury. Even though I drafted Chris Johnson with the second pick in my recent draft, I was hoping the guy drafting first would take Johnson. Just have a feeling he's going to break down.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell

So far Toby Gerhart has run for 34 yards on 12 carries - 22 came on a single run. Ouch. Are they counting on him to replace Taylor right away? (he's has 4 receptions for 15 yards) BTW, Garrett Mills seems to be getting most of the attention from Sage...

Quote Originally Posted by get louder at lambeau
    Hip surgery doesn't sound like something that a player comes raging back from at 100% as soon as the rehab is over, does it? Sounds like something that could hold him back for a full year to me. But I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on TV either. And no, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently.
    I don't know either but they did say he was riding the stationary bike later that evening after his surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by mngolf19
    I don't know either but they did say he was riding the stationary bike later that evening after his surgery.
    They said he was riding it "with some help". Ive never heard "With some help" in the same sentence as riding a stationary bike. Maybe it's the same miraculous recovery that had Chipper Jones limping around in the dugout the day after his ACL surgery. Meaning: absolutely nothing.

I expect it will mean more running game. And will put more pressure on AP to not fumble. Gerhart will be fine as a change of pace and breather for AP. I expect Favre to make all the JAGs at WR left to look better than they are but they'll still become a more run oriented team for the first half season anyway. If Rice comes back fine in week 9 then I'll say they win all 8 remaining games and that gives them probably a 11 wins. So it may be a tough start for MN.

They said he was riding it "with some help". Ive never heard "With some help" in the same sentence as riding a stationary bike. Maybe it's the same miraculous recovery that had Chipper Jones limping around in the dugout the day after his ACL surgery. Meaning: absolutely nothing.
    It means they're making sure the joint remains mobile and he retains as much flexibility and muscle as possible. He probably has a hard time pedaling on his own but all good Ortho's want you to move your joints as soon as you can stand to after surgery. I was walking the day of my ACL surgery.

Maybe that means he sat on the bike while Childress knelt next to it, moving the pedals with his hands and saying, "Cmon, Sidney, you can do it! Pretty please! Just TRY to pedal. Oh God, Brett's gonna have my head for this. PLE-HEE-HEASE!"

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Wow BIG blow to the Vikings. Benefit to the Pack because we play them week 6.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

It means they're making sure the joint remains mobile and he retains as much flexibility and muscle as possible. He probably has a hard time pedaling on his own but all good Ortho's want you to move your joints as soon as you can stand to after surgery. I was walking the day of my ACL surgery.
    I was being a bit sarcastic realizing that forced motion is part of the rehabilitation and the report that he was riding a bike in no way should be construed as "he's ahead of schedule, (Brett, don't worry and please don't re-retire)"