Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Probabilities

Playoff Probabilities

Interesting read. If we go 3-3 and finish at 10-6, there's a 40% chance that we won't make the playoffs. If we go 4-2 and finish at 11-5, there's a 97% chance that we will make the playoffs.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/packerswhatif.html

Interestingly, we have a higher probability of making the playoffs than the Bears (despite them holding the tiebreaker at the moment)--in large part because we play them at home and are probably favored to switch that home field advantage.

The probability ratings show that we'll win the NFC North, but get the #3 seed and host the Bears in the playoffs.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

1 Atlanta
    2 Philadelphia

6 Chicago at 3 Green Bay
    5 New Orleans at 4 Seattle

Tampa Bay finishes #7 and NY Giants finishes #8.

If we beat the Bears, we'd then travel to Philadelphia.

Senior Rat All-Pro Fred's Slacks's Avatar
    Interesting. It says we could finish 8-8 and still have a tiny chance (< 1%) for a first round bye.
    Fred's Slacks is a Winner!

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I would NOT want to beat the Bears and then play them again the next week. Enough of losing in the playoffs to the team we just beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Slacks View Post
    Interesting. It says we could finish 8-8 and still have a tiny chance (< 1%) for a first round bye.
    Wouldn't that be something?

It would be something that would seemingly require the retirement to become a monk by half of the Falcons, Giants, Bears, Eagles and a few others.
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    (snip) Interestingly, we have a higher probability of making the playoffs than the Bears (despite them holding the tiebreaker at the moment)--in large part because we play them at home and are probably favored to switch that home field advantage.
    That's probably it, because their schedules are extremely similar. The record of the Bears' future opponents so far this season is 35-25; the packers' future opponents are 34-26. Both play at Detroit, and both play the Patriots, too. The Jets-Bears game in Week 16 could have some really interesting implications in both conferences.
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

I like our chances for a 2 seed.

Bears have 2 - 3 wins left. Pack will win NFCN.

Eagles have an inspired Cowboy team twice.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.
    Vince Lombardi

"Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.

The evil fan in me enjoys seeing the Vikings at <1% across the board.

Nice find.
    "My problems with him are his vision and tendency to dance instead of pounding a hole." - Harvey Wallbangers

Here's my prediction (based on remaining schedule):

1. Philadelphia
    2. Green Bay

6. Chicago @ 3. Atlanta
    5. New Orleans @ 4. St. Louis (I think Seattle blows it down the stretch)

Quote Originally Posted by Brando19 View Post
    Here's my prediction (based on remaining schedule):

1. Philadelphia
    2. Green Bay

6. Chicago @ 3. Atlanta
    5. New Orleans @ 4. St. Louis (I think Seattle blows it down the stretch)
    Chicago in and NYG out? Not so sure about that, but things are bad in the big apple.

St-Louis in...*sigh*
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    1 Atlanta
    2 Philadelphia

6 Chicago at 3 Green Bay
    5 New Orleans at 4 Seattle

Tampa Bay finishes #7 and NY Giants finishes #8.

If we beat the Bears, we'd then travel to Philadelphia.
    I saw this and as a gut reaction said "Fuck, if Seattle actually makes the playoffs, I bet we'll host 'em at Lambeau again"
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

I dont think the Bears will hold up. That last game will be a non issue. The wild card doesnt come out of the NFC North. Just a prediction based on Chicago's personnel.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Pack goes 5-1 the rest of the way....you heatd it here first. No one is playing better right now. Chiily and wade got the wrong matchup at the wrong time.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Senior Rat All-Pro Fred's Slacks's Avatar
    I understand the whole division winners get in thing, it makes sense but when you have a division as bad as the west it really makes me question how a team like Seattle or St Louis can host a playoff game at maybe 8-8? They need to institute a minimum of 9 wins to get the top 4 spots. Unless of course only 3 teams have more than 9 wins. I don't know, I like the system they have but I think it needs one small tweak like this to make it a little better. Can you imagine we (or someone else) could finish 11-5 and not get in. Mean while Seattle or St Louis gets to host a game? Rediculous.
    Fred's Slacks is a Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Slacks View Post
    I understand the whole division winners get in thing, it makes sense but when you have a division as bad as the west it really makes me question how a team like Seattle or St Louis can host a playoff game at maybe 8-8? They need to institute a minimum of 9 wins to get the top 4 spots. Unless of course only 3 teams have more than 9 wins. I don't know, I like the system they have but I think it needs one small tweak like this to make it a little better. Can you imagine we (or someone else) could finish 11-5 and not get in. Mean while Seattle or St Louis gets to host a game? Rediculous.
    The easy solution is that every division winner is guaranteed a playoff spot, but not necessarily a home game. They are still seeded 1-6 based on record and other applicable tiebreakers.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    The easy solution is that every division winner is guaranteed a playoff spot, but not necessarily a home game. They are still seeded 1-6 based on record and other applicable tiebreakers.

I like it. Make it so, Roger!

here's one guys scenario for us to have the 1st seed...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-289002

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    here's one guys scenario for us to have the 1st seed...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-289002
    I'm pretty sure that guy is wrong when he says the Bears lead the league in point differential. I thought that I had been hearing that WE are leading the league in that.

Well, both teams have allowed the same number of points, but the Pack has scored more...

Still, lots of people are dissing da Bears, yet they are 7-3. You can talk all you want about how good they look or don't look, but they are 7-3.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Chicago in and NYG out? Not so sure about that, but things are bad in the big apple.

St-Louis in...*sigh*
    Are you still sighing over my St Louis pick? They're now tied with Seattle for the NFC West.

Not laughing...more like shaking my head.

Franchise doesn't deserve a thing - if you know much about the franchise in it's current incarnation, you'd know they make Detroit look like a well oiled machine. Georgia Frontiere, the owner until her death in 2008, knew and cared nothing for football. She inherited the team from her husband. It was a pure cash cow for her, and she put nothing into it, and was the one who left the LA area. She didn't deserve the winning team that fell onto her lap when Martz was there.

Her son runs it now, and I have to admit I don't know what sort of an owner he's like.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...