Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Packers @ Falcons Gameday Thread

The Official Packers @ Falcons Gameday Thread

Have at it, Rats! Here's hoping the Packers win in spectacular fashion and I'm starting the thread next week!

Cheers!!

A win Sunday against Atlanta Falcons crucial if Green Bay Packers want home field advantage in playoffs
    NOVEMBER 27, 2010
    The Green Bay Packers will play their most important regular-season game in three years today against the Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome.
    While the Falcons might not stir up the same kind of buzz for the Packers as the Brett Favre-led Minnesota Vikings, the matchup has huge implications. So much so that Packers players this week didn’t even bother trying to downplay the game’s significance.

“Not to sugar-coat it or nothing, but it’s a big one,” said receiver James Jones. “It’s a big game. They’re 8-2 in the NFC. Everybody is shooting for this playoff run. Everybody wants homefield advantage. It’s a big game and we know the impact this game can take down the road.”

What’s at stake is the chance to claim the No. 1 seed in the NFC and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Win and the Packers have a legitimate shot to claim that prize. Lose and they can kiss those hopes good-bye.

Not since a Nov. 29, 2007, game at Dallas, with both the Packers and Cowboys sporting 10-1 records, has so much been on the line in a late-season matchup. The Packers lost in Dallas that day, and now almost exactly three years later, they are looking for a better result.

The Packers (7-3) can’t afford to lose ground to the Falcons, who own the best record in the NFC.

“You don’t really want to fall two games plus a tie-breaker behind the Falcons,” said quarterback Aaron Rodgers. “We need to start thinking about homefield advantage and the playoffs, should we be fortunate enough to get there. This is a big game for us.”

How important is homefield advantage? In four of the past six seasons, the No. 1 seed in the NFC qualified for the Super Bowl. The Packers haven’t captured the top seed since 1996, which was the last time they won the Super Bowl.

Players are trained to approach each regular-season game the same, but it’s been difficult this week for the Packers to treat the Falcons as just another opponent.

“You try not to think about it because it’s November, but it’s in the back of your head,” said guard Josh Sitton. “It could potentially be a playoff implicating game.”

It won’t be easy for the Packers, considering Atlanta’s stellar 18-3 home record under coach Mike Smith. But the Packers can counter with some impressive records of their own under Mike McCarthy, including 10-3 in domes and 21-16 overall on the road.

Both teams feature talented quarterbacks that were thrust into starting roles in 2008. Both teams own four-game winning streaks, and both have been playing fundamentally sound and haven’t committed a turnover in the last three games.

“We know how important this game is,” said guard Daryn Colledge. “This is a big game. Atlanta’s controlling the NFC right now. We’d like to be a part of that talk.”

The only way the Packers become part of that discussion is by beating the Falcons.

There will be five weeks of regular-season football remaining after this game, so no one is suggesting this is a win-or-else clash. But the Packers’ playoff path would become much less treacherous with a victory today.
    Thanks Ted!

In Year 2, Capers has Packers sold on his 3-4 philosophy

By Steve Wyche NFL.com
    Senior Writer
    Published: Nov. 23, 2010 at 10:07 p.m. Updated: Nov. 25, 2010 at 12:45 p.m. Liked: 11 | Comments: 90

There are reasons why Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews -- the NFL sacks leader with 11.5 -- is having a special season, why recently little-known cornerback Tramon Williams might be playing better than most cornerbacks in the NFL, and why an injury-depleted Green Bay defense has allowed just 10 points over the past three games.

Those reasons might also lead the Packers to the Super Bowl.

"Everyone has bought in," a Packers team source said.

This isn't the same old football-speak about everyone being on the same page. The translation is that in Year 2 of defensive coordinator Dom Capers' version of the 3-4 defense, players understand their roles. They know that in certain cases they have to occupy two blockers so Matthews has an unimpeded path to the quarterback. Williams and fellow cornerback Charles Woodson have to be incredibly efficient in man coverage at times to allow disguised stunts to work effectively.

To pacify egos, something Capers and his staff found out last season, those who sacrifice stats and making plays also have packages designed for them to flash. That's a huge deal because if players don't feel like they're being put in position to succeed, they won't always give you premium effort (see Albert Haynesworth).

Last season, a lot of players in Green Bay were reluctant to embrace the change from the 4-3 front because it marginalized their playmaking skills. Outside linebacker Aaron Kampman's showed displeasure with having to move from defensive end to outside linebacker, a change that did not play to his pass-rushing strengths. Several other players weren't pleased about the switch either, but that's changed now.

"Guys weren't always receptive, but now they understand that there is a role and packages for everybody," the source said. "Guys are playing so unselfish, and they're realizing that when they do their jobs so someone else can make a play, it's just as rewarding."

Green Bay is second in points allowed (14.6) and 12th overall in yards allowed (323.4). They've forced 21 turnovers, including 15 interceptions -- three of those returned for touchdowns.

Players also trust Capers.

In the Packers' 31-3 victory over the Vikings last week -- Brad Childress' last game as head coach -- Green Bay's game plan worked as it was drawn up. Early on, the Packers dared Brett Favre to throw by stacking the box to stop Adrian Peterson and locking up the wide receivers on the edges in man coverage. Nothing new compared to what most teams do. They held Peterson to 72 yards.

In obvious passing situations, Green Bay also ran zone blitzes that applied pressure to the defense's left -- Favre's right -- because Favre prefers to break containment in that direction, and his mobility moving back to his left isn't what it was, the source said. Pressure also was schemed to be applied up the middle because Favre isn't as comfortable on the move, the source said. Adding to things, Green Bay's defensive backs were able to knock Minnesota's receivers off their routes.

Also playing into things, the Vikings' offense wasn't overly diverse, the source said. The same could be said for the 8-2 Jets, who were shut out by the Packers on Oct. 31.

That won't be the case Sunday when Green Bay travels to Atlanta to face the 8-2 Falcons in what could turn out to be the game of the week. Not only are the Falcons nearly unbeatable at the Georgia Dome (QB Matt Ryan is 18-1 as a starter at home), they have the best offense the Packers have seen this season, the source said.

"They have plays they can run two ways, they have run-pass options on so many plays," the source said. "They have so many looks. (Offensive coordinator) Mike Mularkey has put together some serious stuff. The quarterback is really comfortable, and he gets rid of the ball. They are really good.

"The offensive line is really good, collectively. Individually, there isn't a Pro Bowler there, but as a group they block through the play, they're tough and they work really well together."

And then there's wide receiver Roddy White.

"He's a complete player," the source said. "He's doing things like catching the curl and hook routes he wasn't so good at a few years ago and his yards after the catch, he's really good once he gets the ball in his hands."

Based on what Green Bay has done at times this season, I'd expect Williams to tail White for most of the game, which won't be easy because the Falcons use White from every receiver-eligible spot on the field.

The Packers are looking forward to the challenge, which leads us to the main reason why the defense is playing at such a high level.

"On Victory Monday (this week) there wasn't an empty meeting room," the source said. "Guys were in there watching film and really preparing. That's been the most incredible thing about this, the way guys have taken to preparation and film study on their own. They really want to be good."

The contagious work ethic can't be taken lightly. How else can you explain why a unit that has been hit hard by injuries is arguably playing its best with several frontline players on the shelf?
    Thanks Ted!

The big thing about the Falcons is that they don't beat themselves with penalties and turnovers. If the Packers want to win, they have to continue to play relatively error-free football.
    If they can do that, they have a real chance because I think the Packers are better on defense.

When a lot of people last week were a little nervous about the Viking game, my gut was telling me the Vikings were done and that the Packers would dominate. My gut this week says Packers in a close one.

Packers 23
    Falcons 20

"On Victory Monday (this week) there wasn't an empty meeting room," the source said. "Guys were in there watching film and really preparing. That's been the most incredible thing about this, the way guys have taken to preparation and film study on their own. They really want to be good."
    One thing I've noticed over the last month or two is that players frequently mention film study. I've read quotes from Raji, Williams, Collins, Pickett, Shields, and Woodson all make a reference to "something they saw on film". Collins and Shields have mentioned that they learned how to study from Wood and I feel like his study habits have influenced a lot of guys on that D even outside of the secondary. I don't ever remember the players ever seeming so involved in film study but I really think their zeal for that aspect of preparation has really helped the defense raise their game.

All teams and players study film but it is huge to have a veteran player like Wood who has an effective system of film study and is willing to impart his methods to any of his teammates.

Let's get it done.

Ok, a gambler would point out that the Pack is coming off a huge emotional victory against a division rival and is due for a letdown. Fortunately I don't bet on Packer games. This is also a huge game and no way we let down. Too many playoff implications.

Pack 34 Atl 17 in a game that is closer than the score will indicate.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I am going to be torn this afternoon. I am in a poker tournament to win a seat in an event in Nassau that is going to run from 11-4. So I will have the computer running the tourny and watching the Packers on the big screen. It's not going to leave much time for posting in the game day thread.

Thanks for the articles packrulz.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I like our chances. The Falcons are good. If we can play solid ST's, low penalties and win the turn over battle . . . . . That's a lot to ask, but that's how we've been playing. If we do those things, I think our offense and defense are good enough to beat them. That dome is nasty to play it, but we're good on the road, even in loud domes. . . . .

I'm going to be horribly disappointed if we lose. Winning pumps our hopes for a championship through the roof.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    We crush them easy! 35-3
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Inactives: Bigby, Smith, Starks, Briggs, McDonald, Newhouse, D. Lee and Wynn

Quarless is starting...

I'm pretty surprised to see that Donald Lee is inactive.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Lets go Packers! We show we are the dominant team in the NFC today!

we just need to keep doing what we've been doing recently. defense has been big, the o has been good and taken pressure off the d, keep getting turnovers and keep the penalties down. Packers get the win!

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    We beat them so bad a 7-4 coach gets fired!!!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    We beat them so bad a 7-4 coach gets fired!!!
    lol...THIS!

Packers owe me a win versus Falcons; I'm still miffed about loss two years ago at Lambeau.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Go Packers! Time to show the league who the best team is!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    Packers owe me a win versus Falcons; I'm still miffed about loss two years ago at Lambeau.
    I'm still miffed witnessing the first ever home playoff loss against these damn birds..

I actually watched the pregame show today. Terry had his top QB's under 30. Rodgers came in at #3 after Rivers and Rothlisberger. Seemed like a decent list.

Surprised three of them took the Packers.