Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26

Thread: The Official Packers @ Falcons Gameday Thread

Senior Rat All-Pro Fred's Slacks's Avatar
    I put myself through the hell of watching the game again on the DVR and I have to comment on my 3 Goats of this game.

1. Daryn Colledge - On the second and goal, just before the Rodgers fumble into the endzone, Rodgers checked to the QB draw and should have walked into the endzone. Instead, the DL (who was taking a knee when the ball was snapped) gets under Colledge's block and hits Rodgers low, stopping him dead. If Colledge a) gets his pads down or b) gets his head on the corect side, Rodgers walks in and its 10-3.

2.AJ Hawk - I am not a Hawk hater. I've always been a little disapointed that he didn't make more plays but also thought he's a solid, hardworking player. However on the 4th and goal to start the 4th quarter, Hawk had a golden oppurtinity to stop Turner and get the ball back to our offense still tied. He was unblocked on the play. Instead of scrapping effectivly and keeping the RB inside, he falls down and turner jogs around him into the endzone. On a similar play earlier, Bishop scraped, filled and made the play. I'm very disappointed Hawk didn't make the play and for the first time, I don't really care if he's on the team next year.

3. Shawn Slocum - Duh! I don't want to read about injuries being the reason. Our Specials have been terrible and inconsistent since he's taken over and nothing has changed. Please go away.

I just had to post this to vent a little after yet another 3 point loss. That was tough to swollow considering what was at stake.
    Fred's Slacks is a Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Slacks View Post
    I put myself through the hell of watching the game again on the DVR and I have to comment on my 3 Goats of this game.

1. Daryn Colledge - On the second and goal, just before the Rodgers fumble into the endzone, Rodgers checked to the QB draw and should have walked into the endzone. Instead, the DL (who was taking a knee when the ball was snapped) gets under Colledge's block and hits Rodgers low, stopping him dead. If Colledge a) gets his pads down or b) gets his head on the corect side, Rodgers walks in and its 10-3.

2.AJ Hawk - I am not a Hawk hater. I've always been a little disapointed that he didn't make more plays but also thought he's a solid, hardworking player. However on the 4th and goal to start the 4th quarter, Hawk had a golden oppurtinity to stop Turner and get the ball back to our offense still tied. He was unblocked on the play. Instead of scrapping effectivly and keeping the RB inside, he falls down and turner jogs around him into the endzone. On a similar play earlier, Bishop scraped, filled and made the play. I'm very disappointed Hawk didn't make the play and for the first time, I don't really care if he's on the team next year.

3. Shawn Slocum - Duh! I don't want to read about injuries being the reason. Our Specials have been terrible and inconsistent since he's taken over and nothing has changed. Please go away.

I just had to post this to vent a little after yet another 3 point loss. That was tough to swollow considering what was at stake.
    Thanks for posting this. I can't take another close loss either, it sucks!
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Evidently this goes on all over. I submit we pulled this on MN and didn't show replays of Quarless' TD either. From what I gather the coaches upstairs do not have access to the networks' feeds. At home we could see on Fox's replays that Gonzales didn't control that ball all the way thru so that catch probably gets overturned if MM challenged it IF his assistant coaches could have seen the replay before the next snap. This issue should be addressed by the league and corrected in 2011.
    That's what I was curious about, as to whether or not other teams do this. Overall, Atlanta showed very few replays on the screen. Heck, between their corporate advertising plastered everywhere and misplaced digital scoreboards, it was hard to find anything!

I can't say that you're incorrect in saying we pulled his on MN with Quarless TD, because I wasn't at that game. However, in the many games I've been to at Lambeau, I know they're constantly showing replays and they've never favored one team or the other. In Atlanta, it was totally obvious they were doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Greetings! Next time Atlanta comes to Green Bay, we'll just run Sargento Cheese commercials instead of replays that might help them.

Darn weather here is finally starting to cool off. Coming north for Christmas?
    Not going home for Christmas this year, no. I was home a few months back, plus I'll be flying home twice next year, so I'll have to pass up the chance of experience 20 below zero...at least this year

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz View Post
    That's what I was curious about, as to whether or not other teams do this. Overall, Atlanta showed very few replays on the screen. Heck, between their corporate advertising plastered everywhere and misplaced digital scoreboards, it was hard to find anything!

I can't say that you're incorrect in saying we pulled his on MN with Quarless TD, because I wasn't at that game. However, in the many games I've been to at Lambeau, I know they're constantly showing replays and they've never favored one team or the other. In Atlanta, it was totally obvious they were doing just that.

I've never been at a stadium (Lambeau included) that did NOT cater almost if not exclusively to the home team fans with it's replays on the scoreboard. I have NO problem with that whatsoever. In Green Bay, you'll see Green Bay replays, in Detroit, Detroit replays etc. You cater to your season ticket holders, period. My concern is that the replay feeds to the booths were delayed and that sounds fishy.

Not going home for Christmas this year, no. I was home a few months back, plus I'll be flying home twice next year, so I'll have to pass up the chance of experience 20 below zero...at least this year
    Great. We'll be coming to visit you where it's warm...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Wow! But allowing the home team to screw with the video feed is okay?
    And this is why I think the league should address access to replays for the visiting team's coaches upstairs.

I guess I said that because Quarless didn't really control the ball all the way to the ground (or whatever they're calling it these days) and I wondered why MN didn't challenge that play. I'm assuming MN didn't see a decent replay before we kicked the extra point. I haven't been to a game at Lambeau since we moved down here in 2005 (we still have our tix but my sister is using them).

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPackerFan View Post
    I've never been at a stadium (Lambeau included) that did NOT cater almost if not exclusively to the home team fans with it's replays on the scoreboard. I have NO problem with that whatsoever. In Green Bay, you'll see Green Bay replays, in Detroit, Detroit replays etc. You cater to your season ticket holders, period. My concern is that the replay feeds to the booths were delayed and that sounds fishy.
    Agreed.

why can't they just put a freaking tv in the booth with the same directv feed we all watch? they'll see the network feeds the same time we do. if that's not allowed than have someone from a different location simply call them on the phone with the replay info.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    why can't they just put a freaking tv in the booth with the same directv feed we all watch? they'll see the network feeds the same time we do. if that's not allowed than have someone from a different location simply call them on the phone with the replay info.

I believe that is not allowed for some reason. I posted the same thought a while back and was told something to that effect.

TV viewing/videotaping during a game is not allowed by League rule (see Cheatriots, 2007). However, there is also a delay between any live action and any TV reception. All the video (with possible exception of local coverage) is fed through satellites and there are delays. Even on the two radio stations in town that broadcast the Packer games, one is set several seconds slower to sync with the TV broadcast and even then it runs ahead. This is most easily noticed when the Badgers play a basketball game on TV and you listen to LePay on the radio. You always know whether the jump shot has fallen before the thing even gets to the rim.

Seven seconds doesn't sound like much, but with a 40 second play clock, you lose 1/4 of your time just waiting for the network to dig up the replay. And if it isn't a good replay, then it would be too late.

And that is why I don't think the TV broadcast might have mattered with Gonzalez's non 4th down catch. The first replay was reverse angle (from the Packers/visitors) side of the field. It was difficult* to see that he didn't have control from that angle. By the time the network dug up a replay from the endzone (where it was evident it was a trap), the Falcons had already snapped the ball.

* I say this in reference to my real time viewing of that replay. After seeing it from different angles, it was possible to see the ball trapped from that camera. But I didn't even suspect until the other angle was shown.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Originally Posted by Fritz
    Why not hire an assistant coach to sit in front of his TV at home and watch the game, and call McCarthy on his cell phone once the assistant sees the television replays?

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I asked why we don't do this and I was told that it is against the rules.
    What? Against the rules to pick up your cell phone and call your ol' buddy Mikey McCarthy, see how he's doin'? Then find out he's at work, and say, "Cripes, I'm watchin' the game, Mikey, and me and my buddies just seen a replay of that catch that Gonzago guy just made, and we all seen that he juggled the ball, eh?"

What can be illegal about that?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    We may need to go to Bill Bellichek for a ruling on that one.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Slacks View Post
    What's funny is that I think Hawk has been solid, but I don't think moreso than any other year. He is what he is. I thought he struggled this game. On the play you are talking about, wasn't Nick Collins the most to blame? He had outside contain and just sold out inside. If he keeps contain on the outside, he has a chance to tackle Turner. Also, Collins made a poor play on a big play earlier in the game. I can't remember the exact play right now. I think it was another Turner run. I think Collins is one of the best safeties in the NFL, but I thought he had a poor game also.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    What's funny is that I think Hawk has been solid, but I don't think moreso than any other year. He is what he is. I thought he struggled this game. On the play you are talking about, wasn't Nick Collins the most to blame? He had outside contain and just sold out inside. If he keeps contain on the outside, he has a chance to tackle Turner. Also, Collins made a poor play on a big play earlier in the game. I can't remember the exact play right now. I think it was another Turner run. I think Collins is one of the best safeties in the NFL, but I thought he had a poor game also.
    I thought so too, for both Hawk and Collins. But Hawk also made a big play for a two or three yard loss, too.

Collins makes some nice, physical plays; and every once in a while can wow you with his speed if you have a chance to see where he came from to make some tackles. But once in a while he still looks like a rookie on a particular play. Unlike Leroy Butler, who may have spoiled us all a little, Collins will simply screw up a play (or two) each game, it seems. I think every now and then the urge to "make a play" causes him to over-commit on a play, and get fooled or lost.

Slocum pretty much said Collins is the one who blew the last kickoff coverage, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    IIRC Collins came up and took on a blocker creating a pile. The only option Turner had was to go outside. Hawk was the free man and needed to scrape and make the play. He fell down after running into Collins and the guy he was blocking.

Maybe Collins could have kept his outside arm free and tried to slow down Turner or contain the outside, but I thought he did a pretty good job of just taking on the block and creating a pile so that his LB could be free to make the play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Originally Posted by Fritz
    Why not hire an assistant coach to sit in front of his TV at home and watch the game, and call McCarthy on his cell phone once the assistant sees the television replays?

What? Against the rules to pick up your cell phone and call your ol' buddy Mikey McCarthy, see how he's doin'? Then find out he's at work, and say, "Cripes, I'm watchin' the game, Mikey, and me and my buddies just seen a replay of that catch that Gonzago guy just made, and we all seen that he juggled the ball, eh?"

What about somebody using a cell phone to call one of the coaches upstairs?

I think the illegal part is for the coach to have a cell phone on the sideline. Have you ever seen a coach on the sideline talking on a cell phone?

Here's what you do: 2 people watch the game from a true live feed and have cell phones each with a pre-typed text ready to fire to a person standing outside the coaches box upstairs. One says challenge, the other says don't challenge. As soon as they see a reply with conclusive evidence, they send the text. The person recieving the text opens the door to the coaching booth and tells them, they can then tell M3 over the head set what to do.

I don't know. While we're going nuts here why don't we set up our own app with a direct connection to this person outside the coaches box so that the guys watching the live feed just hit one button or the other. Bam. The signal gets sent and we don't miss a game changing challenge. I bet Belichick would go for it.