Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: McCarthy = Sherman?

Witness Protection Rat HOFer

Thumbs down McCarthy = Sherman?

Its apparent McCarthy continually gets overly conservative in crucial situations (2qb runs at the goal line) like Sherman (recall the 04 Eagles playoff game).

Both have a .333 playoff winning percentage.

What do you guys think?

5 wide at the GL is not exactly conservative. I thought at least one of those sneaks was A-Rod's choice and was supposed to be a pass.

There is too much to this comparison to make me comfortable.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm just glad M3 is not the GM as well.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    5 wide at the GL is not exactly conservative. I thought at least one of those sneaks was A-Rod's choice and was supposed to be a pass.
    4 or 5 times we were in short yardage situations and went empty backfield with 5 wide. every time it was a QB draw. plus i believe we ran it twice back to back on the goal line with the second one being the a-rod fumble

it wasn't fooling anyone and looked once again like M3 thought he was smarter then everyone else, and wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    4 or 5 times we were in short yardage situations and went empty backfield with 5 wide. every time it was a QB draw. plus i believe we ran it twice back to back on the goal line with the second one being the a-rod fumble

it wasn't fooling anyone and looked once again like M3 thought he was smarter then everyone else, and wasn't
    QB sneaks/runs are the safest/most conservative plays next to attempting to draw the defense offside (recall Sherman 04 Eagles playoff game).

Combined with failure to challenge plays (recall always an issue with Sherman) MM is another Sherman -- great play caller against lesser opponents when anything works but a poor play caller in crucial situations in important games.

Should the Packers fail to make the playoffs MM should be terminated. Keep the defensive staff.

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    No.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPackerFan View Post
    No.
    Please elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha View Post
    Please elaborate
    "Nope" ?

seriously though, MM's got a LOT of productions out of a skeleton of a roster. I don't think Sherman could do that, because he did not place any value on the bottom of a roster.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There is too much to this comparison to make me comfortable.
    And he didn't even mention they're both named Mike.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    QB sneaks/runs are the safest/most conservative plays next to attempting to draw the defense offside (recall Sherman 04 Eagles playoff game).

Combined with failure to challenge plays (recall always an issue with Sherman) MM is another Sherman -- great play caller against lesser opponents when anything works but a poor play caller in crucial situations in important games.

Should the Packers fail to make the playoffs MM should be terminated. Keep the defensive staff.
    Hasn't MM been on fire this year with challenges? He's done a great job on those.

MM can create a great passing offense but definately needs work on the running part. No reason at all to terminate him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

It looked like Rodgers checked into 2 of those and 2 were called.

I don't consider any play that subjects your franchise quarterback to punishment to be "conservative".

WRT challenges, I think that after M3 made a blind challenge of the Jones fumble in the Bears game he decided against challenging without visual evidence. He went from being criticized for being too loose with his challenge flag to too tight. Obviously he needs to find some kind of middle ground but I'm not going to say that his new-found grip on the challenge flag (in away games) represents a trend. He is 3/3 on challenges since the Bears game but this game makes for a good case that he needs to evaluate his challenge strategy some more and see that it is OK to take a shot on a call like that.

Its apparent McCarthy continually gets overly conservative in crucial situations (2qb runs at the goal line) like Sherman (recall the 04 Eagles playoff game).

Both have a .333 playoff winning percentage.

What do you guys think?
    Sherman's conservatism was his failure to go for it on 4th and 1. McCarthy's lapse yesterday was leaving in a QB sneak call after the Falcons had put in a defensive package which made that a bad play call. That may be something else but it's not conservative.

Whatever happened or didn't happen yesterday, I hate the idea of drawing broad sketches and such based on one game. The important question, to my mind, is, did Green Bay make mistakes yesterday that are reflective of an ongoing bad trend? The big play on the last kickoff return is surely one example. I am not sure that the problems in the red zone yesterday were indicative of any kind of broad problem with play calling, however.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPackerFan View Post
    seriously though, MM's got a LOT of productions out of a skeleton of a roster. I don't think Sherman could do that, because he did not place any value on the bottom of a roster.
    is that M3 though getting the most out of those players?

m3 runs the offense, its lost 3 guys (grant, finley, and tauscher) the # 1 draft pick filled in for mark and has done fine for a rookie. but the running game has sucked since we lost grant, and the te's are a far cry from finley and lee.

on the other side of the ball, the defense has lost a ton of guys, and yet new guys continue to step up and play well

to me it looks more like capers getting the most out of his players and m3 not getting so much out of his

McCarthy might last 2-3 seasons still but if Dom Capers has ambitions to be a head coach again, hence leaving Packland, then Stubby is in big trouble...and quickly too.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Sherman's conservatism was his failure to go for it on 4th and 1. McCarthy's lapse yesterday was leaving in a QB sneak call after the Falcons had put in a defensive package which made that a bad play call. That may be something else but it's not conservative.

Whatever happened or didn't happen yesterday, I hate the idea of drawing broad sketches and such based on one game. The important question, to my mind, is, did Green Bay make mistakes yesterday that are reflective of an ongoing bad trend? The big play on the last kickoff return is surely one example. I am not sure that the problems in the red zone yesterday were indicative of any kind of broad problem with play calling, however.
    How many close games have the Packers lost this season? Are these due to McCarthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Hasn't MM been on fire this year with challenges? He's done a great job on those.

MM can create a great passing offense but definately needs work on the running part. No reason at all to terminate him.
    What if the PAckers fail to make the playoffs? As MM has pointed-out -- "In Green Bay you are judged by championships." MM and Sherman -- Zero!

It wasn't a QB draw each time. One sneak was Rodgers' checkdown and there were at least two Go patterns out of that formation on that down and distance.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.