Thread: Brett Swain - Why Isn't He Returning Kicks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brett Swain - Why Isn't He Returning Kicks?

I don't get it. The guy is fast. And receivers should be pretty sure handed. Isn't that traditionally what the 5th receiver roster spot is for? If you watched him split the seam in traffic during his reception Sunday, it looked like he had a good feel as to where to go in a crowd.

Any insight out there?

Good question, SC.

I'm going to go with "because Slocum's useless."

It's simplistic, but it makes me feel good.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    It does make sense, especially watching him accelerate and split the defenders the way he did on sunday?
    What's the story, is he fast? Good hands?

I think another question is how many games has he been inactive? If they're using their 45 for necessary depth and he's been inactive, there's an answer there.

Also, I really don't care all that much about the return game. The offense should be able to move the ball well enough to compensate. I'd be fine sticking Donald Lee back there to field it and take a step forward or fair catch. It's the kickoff and punt COVERAGE that i care about. Letting opponents start at the 35-50 is a HUGE problem.

That's a great question; Swain did well in preseason and he's a fine # 5 WR...he can actually play. Great catch vs Falcons too.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I don't get it. The guy is fast. And receivers should be pretty sure handed. Isn't that traditionally what the 5th receiver roster spot is for? If you watched him split the seam in traffic during his reception Sunday, it looked like he had a good feel as to where to go in a crowd.

Any insight out there?
    Actually, isn't he relatively slow? Slower than Jones and Nelson? I don't remember his numbers, but watching him he seems the least quick out of the WRs.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Actually, isn't he relatively slow? Slower than Jones and Nelson? I don't remember his numbers, but watching him he seems the least quick out of the WRs.
    I think he's as fast as Nelson. How fast is DD anyway? He's more quick than fast.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Swain ran a 4.41 40 at his Pro Day. Nelson ran a 4.49 40 at the Combine. Not much to separate them there, but I've always thought Swain looked quicker, if not faster. Swain did return punts at SDSU. Don't know about kickoffs.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Swain, but what I remember from him is that he didn't have a whole lot of speed. He did a nice job of splitting the defenders Sunday but even after that he didn't really look to have a second burst and didn't even attempt to make a move on the DB.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Swain ran a 4.41 40 at his Pro Day. Nelson ran a 4.49 40 at the Combine. Not much to separate them there, but I've always thought Swain looked quicker, if not faster. Swain did return punts at SDSU. Don't know about kickoffs.
    My eyeballs might not be correctly adjusting for the white receiver adjective factor: gritty, quick, smart, good routes, lunch-pail, etc.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    Good idea. Swain appears fearless and explosive. Lets put him out there!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    My eyeballs might not be correctly adjusting for the white receiver adjective factor: gritty, quick, smart, good routes, lunch-pail, etc.
    But can he win the jump balls? Woody Harrelson says no...
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

He's white. Can't try two guys back there in the same season.