Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Question

The Question

A few weeks ago this place was full of negative nancies that wanted McCarthy run out of town, among other things. I asked what happens if the Packers beat the Giants, beat the Bears, and win their first round playoff game. The only response that I got was "what if they don't."

Now that it has been done, what now?

I wasn't one of em, but you can't try to start running the clock with 12:42 to go in the fourth. My personal opinion is that we became far to predictable. I mean we were running good I understand that but when you start running every 1st and 2nd down, even when they have 8 in the box that's bad play calling. I would like to think that with 1on1 coverage everywhere that Aaron would audible instead of picking up 4 yards on two plays. Mm coached a good gamE until right before halftime and at the 12 minute mark in the 4th quarter, I'd at least like to see a slant, screen, or play action pass on second down once in a while.
    Last edited by gabe; 01-10-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Ipad

Overblown. We had two 4th quarter drives. On the first one, we got a first down by running the ball and then got into 3rd and 1 on our next set of downs. We ran the ball. It's really hard to fault a team for trying to run it on 3rd and 1. Sorry, I just don't see the big deal there. On the second one, we ran it twice like most teams and tried throwing on third down and got sacked. I could see throwing play action on 2nd down, but I just can't get that worked up about the play calling when I disagreed with one play call for the quarter.

Coaching is more than play calling. It's getting a team to compete in every single game. Very few letdowns. It's getting a beat up team to overcome their injuries. No excuses by the coaching staff. It's getting a team to play well three consecutive weeks when their backs are against the wall. It's taking a young QB and molding him into an elite QB. It's getting 53 men to believe in what you are selling.

Well Harv', I'm the most fluctuating fan on this board, always changing my mind 'n all. I say: Saint the Packer bastard.

Now, if they lose in Atlanta, it's back to "Off with his Pittburghian head!".

I hope this answers the question, mate.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    No head coach since 1980 has ever won a Super Bowl after 5 years with that team, except for Cowher who took 14 years but also lost one in his first 5 years. MM gets one more year, but if we don't win a Super Bowl next year, we need to can him as it will be very unlikely that he will ever do it.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    MM gets one more year, but if we don't win a Super Bowl next year, we need to can him as it will be very unlikely that he will ever do it.
    Thanks for the stat, Chann, despite which I don't share your pro forma vision. Any way I slice it, the coaching staff under M3 has risen to the occasion save maybe Slocum (but if Masthay is to be believed, Slocum is a punting guru at least).

It cannot be easy to negate the injuries this team has had to this season. They have, however, been negated pretty well. Sure, TT provides the depth, the raw talent. And we're privvy to witness how effective his eye for talent is. But M3 and his gang need to assimulate the raw talent on the fly. I think they've done a remarkable job. So much so, that I would only want to see a change of HC if next season is a complete shambles similar to what the Vikes suffered this year.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam! View Post
    Thanks for the stat, Chann, despite which I don't share your pro forma vision. Any way I slice it, the coaching staff under M3 has risen to the occasion save maybe Slocum (but if Masthay is to be believed, Slocum is a punting guru at least).

It cannot be easy to negate the injuries this team has had to this season. They have, however, been negated pretty well. Sure, TT provides the depth, the raw talent. And we're privvy to witness how effective his eye for talent is. But M3 and his gang need to assimulate the raw talent on the fly. I think they've done a remarkable job. So much so, that I would only want to see a change of HC if next season is a complete shambles similar to what the Vikes suffered this year.
    The only injuries that really affected this team were Grant and maybe Finley. With Grant I think we win at least 3 more games. The odd thing about Finley is that when he was in the game Rodgers looked stupid at the QB position. Rodgers would not throw to Finley when he was wide open, and then later he would force it to Finley when he was covered (sometimes this occurred in the same play!)

Every other injury we have sustained has benefited the team. Peprah is better than Burnett, Hawk plays better with Bishop who is better than Barnett. The LB's that have been injured? Those are just guys. Case in point, Jones gets injured and Zombo is just as good. Zombo gets hurt and Walden is just as good. Neal gets injured and our D line depth is shot, we pick up cast off like Howard Green who steps in and plays just fine. To be a Super Bowl caliber team, you need about 5 super star players (we have Rodgers, Williams, Woodson, Matthews, maybe Raji). Everyone else is just a guy and can almost be replaced by anyone else. The injuries are a convenient excuse when you want to make excuses, but if you look closely you see that very few of the injuries actually hurt this team.
    Last edited by channtheman; 01-10-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Chann, I'm not sure I disagree with anything in your post, except that injuries make for a convenient excuse. In fact, you make my case perfectly!

I can't recall any team sustaing the number of injuries to starters as this team has and then performing as consistantly well with back-ups and back-up-back-ups. The success is phenominal and the simple fact that they are still in the hunt despite some key names missing is a testimony to the accumulated depth and, just as important, the coaching skill of the staff, IMO.

You might be suggesting that my view is flawed, because if the team were less successful, I would make excuses and by the same token, I am abusing the injury status to inflate M3's accomplishments. Maybe I am, but winning with less than one planned with is always satisfying and praiseworthy, no matter the industry.

Without Dom Capers we're already working on our mock drafts.

I don't mind having the MM defenders throw wins in my face. Keep doing it through the Super Bowl, please.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Does MM get any credit for hiring Capers?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I've had issues with MM and relying too much on the big play. Even when the deep balls work perfectly, it's hard to catch a 45 yard bullet as evident by all the deep drops. I'm glad to see they tapered it back against the Bears and Eagles. Some days it's going to work, but I think it's a bad identity to our offense because it's so hit or miss. MM went back to a more traditional short pass/run/mid range pass/deep shots last offense with balance and I think it not only works in the moment, but it sets us up to have some great deep shots against ATL. I predict a monster game by AR for several reasons, and MM's back to the basics approach the last two games is near the top of that list. It forces teams to defend us honestly.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 01-10-2011 at 11:07 AM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Overblown. We had two 4th quarter drives. On the first one, we got a first down by running the ball and then got into 3rd and 1 on our next set of downs. We ran the ball. It's really hard to fault a team for trying to run it on 3rd and 1. Sorry, I just don't see the big deal there. On the second one, we ran it twice like most teams and tried throwing on third down and got sacked. I could see throwing play action on 2nd down, but I just can't get that worked up about the play calling when I disagreed with one play call for the quarter.

Coaching is more than play calling. It's getting a team to compete in every single game. Very few letdowns. It's getting a beat up team to overcome their injuries. No excuses by the coaching staff. It's getting a team to play well three consecutive weeks when their backs are against the wall. It's taking a young QB and molding him into an elite QB. It's getting 53 men to believe in what you are selling.
    This is good stuff. Keep it up and you'll put Tony Robbins out of business. I agree. McCarthy (and Dom) have been tremendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Does MM get any credit for hiring Capers?
    No. Capers gets extra credit for allowing himself to be hired by MM.

MM called a balanced game against teh Bears and Eagles!
    Rodgers and the WR's will be in a windless dome!

I have a feeling Rodgers is do for a, light it up type game and the balanced approach helps set it up. There is a time and place for everything. I think we just took too many deep shots up until the very end of the season. The Flynn game helped give a blueprint. We CAN win without all of those deep shots. In fact, we're more likely to win.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 01-10-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Rodgers lit up Atlanta last time. Packers lost because they didn't convert in the red zone, including a fumble by Rodgers. You have to take advantage of your scoring chances to beat the Falcons there.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I'm also a big fan of MM's relationship with the team. The guy is a great leader. I think we have a dream setup with Capers doing what he does best and MM doing what he does best. MM's a motivator, leader and a friend to those guys. Capers is a brilliant coordinator. MM is an amazing developer of QB talent, an innovative passing coordinator and excellent playcaller. I think he gets caught up with his favorite toy (Rodgers) and puts too much on the OL. These last few weeks though, he's setting up something special. He's 90% postitive to me and 10% negative, but that negative really gets to me when we're on losing runs.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    No. Capers gets extra credit for allowing himself to be hired by MM.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    No head coach since 1980 has ever won a Super Bowl after 5 years with that team, except for Cowher who took 14 years but also lost one in his first 5 years. MM gets one more year, but if we don't win a Super Bowl next year, we need to can him as it will be very unlikely that he will ever do it.
    Do you mean no coach has every won his first Super Bowl after he had been with the team for more than 5 years?
    Is that right? I had not heard that. Interesting.
    It would be interesting to know how often owners give a coach more than 5 years if they haven't won a SB.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    A few weeks ago this place was full of negative nancies that wanted McCarthy run out of town, among other things. I asked what happens if the Packers beat the Giants, beat the Bears, and win their first round playoff game. The only response that I got was "what if they don't."

Now that it has been done, what now?
    That's not fair, Harv. I correctly posted that they would play in a Divisional playoff game. Credit where credit is due! BTW, I stand by my position.

Were you directing this thread at me at all, Harv?