Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Jolly gets probation

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar

Johnny Jolly gets probation

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6403024

I still think he's not coming back to the Packers.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

The judge warned Jolly that if he violated any terms of his probation, "I will send you to prison."
    Isn't that what they told him last time? But this time we mean it! WTF?

Smart Judge....there is no reason to send him to jail.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Isn't that what they told him last time? But this time we mean it! WTF?
    Maybe the fact that he only had 3 months left on his pretrial deferment program made the judge go easy on him? Personally, if I'm a judge and a guy gets busted when all he has to do is "stay clean for 3 more months" I would just conclude he's an idiot and sentence him to extra time for idiocy, but I probably shouldn't be a judge.
    </delurk>

No you shouldn't.
    C.H.U.D.

thats unreal

i like the guy and all

but he was on probation and he violated it, and yes he was told by the last judge that he would go to prison if he did it again

seems like bullshit to me

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    thats unreal

i like the guy and all

but he was on probation and he violated it, and yes he was told by the last judge that he would go to prison if he did it again

seems like bullshit to me
    Bullshit in a way, in how they aren't doing what they say, but personally, I think it's dumb to waste tons of taxpayer money on long prison sentences for nonviolent drug offenses anyway.

What did Jolly really do? Get fucked up on cough syrup with his buddies. Probably got an addiction going, and possibly distributed the "drank" to his hoodrat buddies. So instead of this guy making money as a football player in the NFL, or at least the UFL or AFL, he's gonna be locked up for years on the taxpayers' dime, probably costing a hundred thousand dollars or more over his long sentence, and then releasing him later in his life as a convict with no real prospects. Why? In an attempt at making prescription cough syrup slightly less easily available on the black market. Yay. Great use of taxpayer money. The War on Drugs continues, forty years later.

Bingo bango bongo.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by get louder at lambeau View Post
    Bullshit in a way, in how they aren't doing what they say, but personally, I think it's dumb to waste tons of taxpayer money on long prison sentences for nonviolent drug offenses anyway.

What did Jolly really do? Get fucked up on cough syrup with his buddies. Probably got an addiction going, and possibly distributed the "drank" to his hoodrat buddies. So instead of this guy making money as a football player in the NFL, or at least the UFL or AFL, he's gonna be locked up for years on the taxpayers' dime, probably costing a hundred thousand dollars or more over his long sentence, and then releasing him later in his life as a convict with no real prospects. Why? In an attempt at making prescription cough syrup slightly less easily available on the black market. Yay. Great use of taxpayer money. The War on Drugs continues, forty years later.
    yeah i guess i can agree with all that

but would the average guy on the street get the same treatment? or is this one of those athletes getting special treatment deal?

but would the average guy on the street get the same treatment? or is this one of those athletes getting special treatment deal?
    Good question. I'm sure he can afford good lawyers, so that must help.

How much does Lucas charge for his rehab?
    C.H.U.D.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Thank God. I need my low price codeine come summer.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Sending people to jail for using drugs seems no more reasonable than sending people to jail for drinking, and we all know there was a time when that was done too.

He's a person who obviously has issues. He doesn't seem like the, "follow rules, live peacefully with society" type, but if he's not hurting anyone, why in the fuck should we mess with him? I'd be just fine not having him on the team for this though. This shows what kind of person he is.

A person who owns 20 guns could very well be planning to recruit a cult and kill 1,000 people. Should we go in and take guns away from people because they could hurt people with them? Should we take drugs away because they might drive when they take them or because we just don't agree with them? That's a slippery slope, there are a lot of people who dislike guns and they might get laws passed to come take yours. Be peaceful about it though, society decided they don't like guns and you need to follow suit.

All of it is bullshit. If you're going to take people's rights, just be honest about it. Just set some moral guidlines and punish people to high hell for breaking them. If you want people to be free and let them pursue their idea of happiness, then get out of the way and let them do it, until they infringe on society and then punish the shit out of them.

The question of how the law will deal with it has been answered. The real question is how the league will deal with it, becuase, going forward, that might have some impact on TT's draft board. If Goodell takes a leaf out of the ruling judge's book, he might also just shake his finger.

Both TT and M3 are on record as saying how much they liked Jolley, prior to his latest arrest. I admit, I like him. I'd like to see him back in the lineup.

Edit: I am aware that the lockout prohibits any club or league action at this time. I'm sure, however, Murphy has enough cred to get some indication from Roger.
    Last edited by Tarlam!; 04-21-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Sending people to jail for using drugs seems no more reasonable than sending people to jail for drinking, and we all know there was a time when that was done too.

He's a person who obviously has issues. He doesn't seem like the, "follow rules, live peacefully with society" type, but if he's not hurting anyone, why in the fuck should we mess with him? I'd be just fine not having him on the team for this though. This shows what kind of person he is.

A person who owns 20 guns could very well be planning to recruit a cult and kill 1,000 people. Should we go in and take guns away from people because they could hurt people with them? Should we take drugs away because they might drive when they take them or because we just don't agree with them? That's a slippery slope, there are a lot of people who dislike guns and they might get laws passed to come take yours. Be peaceful about it though, society decided they don't like guns and you need to follow suit.

All of it is bullshit. If you're going to take people's rights, just be honest about it. Just set some moral guidlines and punish people to high hell for breaking them. If you want people to be free and let them pursue their idea of happiness, then get out of the way and let them do it, until they infringe on society and then punish the shit out of them.
    The problem ultimately lies with the people who make the laws not the ones who enforce them. Police officers and courts should generally hold people responsible for their lawlessness, as cultivating a general disrespect for the law doesn't help matters.

It does bear mentioning, however, that both cases where Jolly was arrested he was driving a car. In general, driving while under the influence of mood altering substances whether it's alcohol, cough syrup, or horse tranquilizers should be illegal. If Jolly had just decided to sit at home and sip his drank, he would never have gotten in trouble for this.
    </delurk>

I think this might have been a situation in which he was treated MORE harshly because he was "famous". If you recall, there were 2 or 3 others in the car with him the first time, and at least one was found with drugs on his person. Jolly was charged for the open container in a cup holder. The others were given slaps on the wrists and let go, while Jolly was charged, maybe even overcharged. They seemed out to get him to show they weren't playing favorites. The prosecutor dragged it on and on, dismissed and refiled. It took a couple years, with the prosecutor mostly being the cause of the delay. The seemed to want the biggest hammer possible to hold over him.

Now, suddenly with a second charge facing him, its flipped around. A very quick resolution. Mandatory inhouse rehab, and the second charge is dismissed. I think rational heads realized that they were potentially destroying this guy when they really needed to try to help him. By many accounts he is a good guy with a drug problem, not a hardened criminal.

The first incident should have been handled more like this from the start, mandating that he get the help he needs.

He's an idiot for sure, but the source of his idiocy might be his addiction.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by get louder at lambeau View Post

Maybe youre not such a POS after all. Excellent post.

He doesnt deserve to go to prison or even jail. He also doesnt deserve to play in the NFL if he cant control his habits just like any other job.

I have a hard time thinking Goodell is gonna lift Jolly's suspension any time soon after we get a new CBA.

Football keeps him off the streets of Houston, so if Goodell's really interested in his rehabilitation, he'd allow him to reconnect with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by th87 View Post
    Football keeps him off the streets of Houston, so if Goodell's really interested in his rehabilitation, he'd allow him to reconnect with the team.
    Good thoughts, TH, but Goodell has morphed into a meglamaniac. He's not interested in helping anyone but himself.