Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capers' Accountability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Capers' Accountability

If you were given :
    Clay Matthews, Charles Woodson, BJ Raji, Tramon Williams, Ryan Pickett, Bishop & Hawk - would your defense come in LAST in the NFL?
    I think not.
    When your only wrinkle is to blitz Charles Woodson constantly, I think your status as a 'defensive genius' is open to scrutiny.
    And how can a defense go an entire season without the secondary 'being on the same page'?????? Are Whitt & Perry the answer?
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Well, Tramon played like death warmed over in coverage for a significant part of the season and even when he regained some of his form, he tackled horribly. BJ regressed a little despite being counted on to deliver in the NT position and Hawk is very limited though he did have an active game yesterday. Plus Woodson is not what he once was in coverage or the blitz either.

So with Matthews and Bishop and Pickett, yes, I could see finishing last in yards gained.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well, Tramon played like death warmed over in coverage for a significant part of the season and even when he regained some of his form, he tackled horribly. BJ regressed a little despite being counted on to deliver in the NT position and Hawk is very limited though he did have an active game yesterday. Plus Woodson is not what he once was in coverage or the blitz either.

So with Matthews and Bishop and Pickett, yes, I could see finishing last in yards gained.
    Some D players had a down year, some are truly declining and there's no doubt we tend to overrate our own players at times. Our defense talent is overrated but thank goodness that our offense is the real deal sans the true talent and depth of the O-line.

Btw, glad I wasn't the only one thinking Hawk played fine sunday...ya see? Probably overrating Hawk right there!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well, Tramon played like death warmed over in coverage for a significant part of the season and even when he regained some of his form, he tackled horribly.
    Sorry to pick this critique out, PB. It one of a coupla dozen saying TW played poorly.

A few weeks ago Joe Whitt Jr. came out and stuck up for Tramon. He said they had him playing on an island oftentimes on the opponents' #1 WR. Whitt said they were forced to play him that way for some reason that I don't recall. He went on to say that, despite the obvious that the fan sees, Tramon was playing the position as designed and didn't complain once, despite being set up to be burned.

I remember thinking the coaches must be mad setting him up for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam! View Post
    Sorry to pick this critique out, PB. It one of a coupla dozen saying TW played poorly.

A few weeks ago Joe Whitt Jr. came out and stuck up for Tramon. He said they had him playing on an island oftentimes on the opponents' #1 WR. Whitt said they were forced to play him that way for some reason that I don't recall. He went on to say that, despite the obvious that the fan sees, Tramon was playing the position as designed and didn't complain once, despite being set up to be burned.

I remember thinking the coaches must be mad setting him up for failure.
    Don't recall the article but if you find it I'd like to see it. Its possible he was a victim by design but he also played poorly after his return from injury.

I have little doubt he was prefers press man to the off coverage (McGinn identified the dominant coverage this year as Cover 4) the Packers used and received less help from the safeties.

But Tramon's greatest strength was keeping close tabs on the receiver and being in a position to make a play on the ball or rec. quickly. He rarely found himself in that position this year. Late in the season he repeated retreated and tracked the receiver and as soon as the receiver broke, TWill would look for the ball back towards the pocket. The receiver and QB seemed to know this and the first WR move would be a feint and the receiver would then move somewhere else and be wide open. It happened in the Giants game once that I saw live and another that I saw on replay (though this could have been the same play).
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

There's all kinds of reasons the defense gave aup as many yards as it did, leaving us always at risk for a game like Sundays where theoffense being outof sync can't be overcome. One major factor I think is the prioritizing of getting turnovers over tackiling, over assignments and over sound fundamental coverage. Regardless of the validity of that and all the other reasons the defense was a constant disaster waiting to happen, Capers is accountable. He's the DC on a team with an offensive minded head coach. I'm nowhere near ready to give up on him, he's been too good for too long, but some serious self study is needed not too mention assessment of his assistants.

The D actually stuffs the run pretty good, the guys that should be worried are Walden, Peprah, and Bush. If Collins can't make it back, they should move Woodson to safety.
    Thanks Ted!

Capers was trying to create something out of nothing sometimes. If we were in our base 3-4, Wilson & Wynn were horrible, and the OLB on their side either Walden, Zombo, or Jones were horrible, so there is a weakness. Tramon was not the 2010 Tramon, Woodson was trying to do more than he is able to, Burnett was essentially having his rookie season, and Peprah is a joke. If we were in any other defense, the 2-4-5, we then lacked run support, and if Bush was in he's just as bad as Peprah, so there are more weaknesses. If we truly want our defense to improve, we need to replace the a DE, OLB, and S to start with unless Collins is able to come back. Then we need to hope that Shields continues to develop, but we need another DB caues Bush, Lee, Peprah should all be gone.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

The Defense plays the way it does because MM wants to play that way! Another poster mentioned priority of turnovers over tackling and that is what I see week after week after week. MM is the head coach- he tells Dom what he wants and that's it unless he can't see what EVERYONE with a pair of eyes sees. MM is responsible plain and simple for the BS way they play defense! Can't be consistent with that and consistency is what matters- Run what You 'Brung and hope you 'Brung Enough! (I do recall MM describing the way he wants defense played and it was exactly how this bs crap of defense looked all year!)

Quote Originally Posted by ZachMN View Post
    The Defense plays the way it does because MM wants to play that way! Another poster mentioned priority of turnovers over tackling and that is what I see week after week after week. MM is the head coach- he tells Dom what he wants and that's it unless he can't see what EVERYONE with a pair of eyes sees. MM is responsible plain and simple for the BS way they play defense! Can't be consistent with that and consistency is what matters- Run what You 'Brung and hope you 'Brung Enough! (I do recall MM describing the way he wants defense played and it was exactly how this bs crap of defense looked all year!)
    You really think MM doesn't want his team to tackle?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    You really think MM doesn't want his team to tackle?
    MM secretly wants the defense to be poor so he can get his shiny offense on the field and show the world what it can do. It's all a big conspiracy by him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Nonsense. If this were true why did the defense play so much better the past 2 seasons?

I think your saying that MM wants to see aggressive on both sides of the ball. He want points going up on the board when our 'D' is on the field and if that is the plan. MM will lose in terms related to the BIG picture. We must see our team play some decent defense not be last in the NFL. A Green BaY Packer defense RANKED LAST in the NFL. Would any Packer fan believed that was even a possibility with Dom Capers as OUR DC? We need to see basic defense the is based in fundamentals and assignment sure attitudes from the players on 'D'. Where did tackling go! Wev need fast athletic CB's and Charles Woodson is slowing down. We need solid coaching for OUR defensive backs and decent to superior talent on 'D' overall. Ted thompson has to clean house on 'D'. He needs to start anew. Go on a 3-5 year plan or just hope that Aaron Rodgers can carry his team.

Ted Thompson has to make cuts in our secondary and at LBer and move forward. He has to accept taking a step back to do that. We need two more strong to relaiable defenders on our DL. Cut the deadwood there and on our OL as well.

We are not close to returning to the Super Bowl. Any Packer fan that imagined we would get back there moreso win another this season was incredibly optimistic. Winning last season was very fortunate IMO. We did it because we came on like the team that just dumped us on our ass's. We turned the same trick last season that the GIANTS might very well turn this. How in blue blazes could we have won the Super Bowl last season? We did it because Aaron Rodgers would not be denied and so many Packer players were on the same page. The team was into the groove from top to bottom. That result with two - three games remaining in the season was unlikely to one of extreme delusion. Well we have basically that same team roster.That same roster with rust, with serious playing ability because of deterioration, decline and extinction.

Looking honestly at OUR defense we have loads of liability and need in certain positions. We should be considering that Nick Collins is gone to simplify analysis. If he comes back that's great but the blue print should now omit Nick Collins.Ted thompson has to cut the deadwood and make some hard decisions concerning players like Donald Driver,Charles Woodson (see Nick Collins),Chad Clifton, Scott Wells, Jermichael Finley and what does Ryan Pickett want. What is AJ Hawk's real value to the Packers. What is his emotional commitment to playing as we believed he would? Where is his consistency and value to us? He gets a lot of money.

How much are Ryan Pickett and Scott Wells worth in terms of their value to the team? Weigh that against keeping Jermichael Finley. Charles Woodson and what? $11 million$ ...good grief. I wouldn"t want to be Ted thompson as he has top clean up a real mess.

How much is Donald Driver Worth? Consider his play and leadership. Is a $2 million$ BONUS going to factor into a decision RE: DD? You've got to be kidding me if you want to consider it is. Donald Driver has pride in his game. He wants to play football. See Brett Favre....not retire or be a coach or special assistant. He had six TD's in a very limited role. He has it. That's the reason we saw his disgust on Sunday. He wants the same thing Favre wanted. Loyalty returned or he's out as a Green Bay Packer not put out to pasture.

We need a pass rush. We please..need a running game to control the clock and take pressure off Aaronn Rodgers. There are interesting prospects at RB available possibly in FA.

Good Luck Ted Thompson.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    Capers was trying to create something out of nothing sometimes. If we were in our base 3-4, Wilson & Wynn were horrible, and the OLB on their side either Walden, Zombo, or Jones were horrible, so there is a weakness. Tramon was not the 2010 Tramon, Woodson was trying to do more than he is able to, Burnett was essentially having his rookie season, and Peprah is a joke. If we were in any other defense, the 2-4-5, we then lacked run support, and if Bush was in he's just as bad as Peprah, so there are more weaknesses. If we truly want our defense to improve, we need to replace the a DE, OLB, and S to start with unless Collins is able to come back. Then we need to hope that Shields continues to develop, but we need another DB caues Bush, Lee, Peprah should all be gone.
    Like someone said on Packerchatters yesterday, Capers was trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Like someone said on Packerchatters yesterday, Capers was trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit all season.
    And Bishop & Hawk didn't play at the level they did last year, so you had Matthews who was obviously trying to do more than he should, and Woodson trying to do more than he should.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

And Bishop & Hawk didn't play at the level they did last year, so you had Matthews who was obviously trying to do more than he should, and Woodson trying to do more than he should.
    I don't think Mathews did either.

Seems to me Capers played conservative all year, counting on the offense to score a bunch and the other team to make enough mistakes to win the game. That philosophy is fine in certain situations, but sometimes you just have to take the game to the other team. I feel that with the Offense being so high octane you wouldn't mind taking chances on D and really come after the other team, but it seems Capers and MM thought differently.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Pack Fan View Post
    I don't think Mathews did either.
    Except after the 14th or 15th game, he was second in the league in QB pressures. Sure, he didn't have the sacks, but he was asked to do a heck of a lot more than just rush the passer and still was second in the league.

Doesn't mean you're wrong. I'm not even sure I disagree. I just wanted to add that nugget to the conversation.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

That post is the way I see it. Not sure what happened to Walden this season as he was 'on fire' after arriving late last. Guessing his fire was lost to his belly. Collins was a very HUGE loss. We all felt a chill come on after that. We know now, how valuable he really was. The DC cannot have it all right or basically that way one season (last) and lose it the next. It comes down to reacting to adversity and personel changes physically OR ATTITUDINALLY. Having the men in to do the best job as a team that's possible. I always liked the Bill Bilichick method. That man is busy. He's trying to improve the Pat's every minute.

You have to work with talent or players willing to learn and work their tails off. I suspect alot of teams would certainly welcome Dom Capers as a DC and maybe he'll land a HC position and really test himself again. I see a world of pain becoming very evident very soon, somehow. . . . .
    the house in bad need of repairs.

GO Ted Thompson.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I agree... and would argue that the results from this years defensive unit are more in line with the lack of talent we have in our front 7.

We have Raji, Pickett, and Matthews... the other 4 starting spots are empty, and there is exactly zero depth. Last year we got lucky, and Capers was masterful at using smoke and mirrors... but our lack of front 7 talent showed up in all its horror this year.

The blame for this years defensive shortcomings is more accurately laid on TT. What does anyone want to bet our 1st 3 picks this spring will all be offensive players??
    wist