Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: REALITY BITES; Consensus...Dear Nick Collinins..PLZ RETIRE

Blog Entries

REALITY BITES; Consensus...Dear Nick Collinins..PLZ RETIRE

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Since the news that it was a neck injury, I've thought he would never play another down again. I still think that.

The think you have to remember though is that Collins' injury was not due to a pre-existing condition, as was the case with Terrence Murphy. It was due to the fact that a 230 pound man landed on top of his head. If the doctors determine that he is no more likely to suffer a debilitating injury than he would have been before this injury happened, I expect he will play. Of course, he will still have a big mental hurdle to overcome. but I think he will try it if given a medical green light.

Still can't believe how innocuous that play looked.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Still can't believe how innocuous that play looked.
    That, I think, is what scares me.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

I don't think anyone knows enough to tell the guy to retire. If he comes back, great. If not, understandable.

I'm surprised they call that Innocuous. When I saw the play, I said, "Oh no" to my wife. He took that shot square on the noggan without anything to absorb it but his spine. There wasn't even a degree of deflection. It was like dropping a sand bag square on your head from a 2 story building. Not to be a know-it-all, because clearly I've eliminated all possibility of that status within about 3 posts of being here, but I knew at the moment of contact that was bad. I cringed.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

And for the record, I think he's coming back. He's one of the toughest Packers we got. His body is strong as they come. If doctors can clear Manning, I have my money on our boy Nick Collins healing up just as tight and coming back 100%

It is my fault. I haven't missed a single play of a Packer game in nearly 20 years until that game. I had to leave early to catch a flight for a business trip and on my way to the airport a friend text me that Collins was knocked out of the game.

I hate to say it but he has played his final play. God bless Nick, raise that family like the Champion you are.

Actually, if the neck is repaired properly, and there's no sign of spinal stenosis (Nick has no history of this condition), then Nick Collins is actually less likely to incur this injury again than Morgan Burnett, Charlie Peprah, or M.D. Jennings would be to get it the first time.

Therefore, assuming everything checks out medically, it would be more irresponsible to allow Morgan Burnett to play than to allow Nick Collins to play.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    Actually, if the neck is repaired properly, and there's no sign of spinal stenosis (Nick has no history of this condition), then Nick Collins is actually less likely to incur this injury again than Morgan Burnett, Charlie Peprah, or M.D. Jennings would be to get it the first time.

Therefore, assuming everything checks out medically, it would be more irresponsible to allow Morgan Burnett to play than to allow Nick Collins to play.
    That's the feeling I get too. The Packers are uber safe with players health, but everything I hear, there are several players who've had this surgery and come back. God gave that guy the body of Zeus. You have my dollars on him healing up like a champ. The only fear the doctors are going to have when they let him loose is for the poor bastard who has to take the next lick by old number 36.

Per the linked article:

"...and in discussions with GM Ted Thompson both he and McCarthy agreed they couldn't see allowing their sons to play again presented with the same choice"

This "same choice" assumes he clears all medical testing from his original surgeons. How then do you see him playing (at least in the Green and Gold) again?

Ted: "Hey Nick, if you were my kid hell no I don't sign off on it but since I have a love for flashy rings and my own self interest go out there and lay a lick old number 36!"

How do you reconcile the two?

They're talking about how they would feel as a parent if their child was in this situation. Most parents have a natural instinct to be protective of their children. Well, Nick Collins isn't their child. He is a 29 year old man fully capable of making an intelligent, sober decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Farley Face View Post
    Per the linked article:

"...and in discussions with GM Ted Thompson both he and McCarthy agreed they couldn't see allowing their sons to play again presented with the same choice"

This "same choice" assumes he clears all medical testing from his original surgeons. How then do you see him playing (at least in the Green and Gold) again?

Ted: "Hey Nick, if you were my kid hell no I don't sign off on it but since I have a love for flashy rings and my own self interest go out there and lay a lick old number 36!"

How do you reconcile the two?
    When it comes right down to it, it's Collins' decision to make, not TT's or MM's. If Collins' decides to continue, the Packers have three choices, play him, trade him or release him.

Agreed it is 100% Nick's decision to continue his career if he so chooses. It is 100% TT's and the Packers choice if he does that as a Packer. The comments MM has made to the media tell me that isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    When it comes right down to it, it's Collins' decision to make, not TT's or MM's. If Collins' decides to continue, the Packers have three choices, play him, trade him or release him.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I'm surprised they call that Innocuous. When I saw the play, I said, "Oh no" to my wife. He took that shot square on the noggan without anything to absorb it but his spine. There wasn't even a degree of deflection. It was like dropping a sand bag square on your head from a 2 story building. Not to be a know-it-all, because clearly I've eliminated all possibility of that status within about 3 posts of being here, but I knew at the moment of contact that was bad. I cringed.
    Whaat? It wasn't like that at all.

Now the physics of it had to have been precisely such that the brush of the running back's leg against the top of Collins's helmet was the right force at the proper angle to Collins's neck vertebrae to squish a disc. That was not a cringe-inspiring, spine-telescoping kill-shot you know-it-all! :;D:

What about the Dale Earnhardt fatal crash? Did you think that was going to be fatal? To me it seemed like a typical fender-bender. Guys walk away from cartwheeling fireballs all the time in Nascar and THAT is what killed Dale?
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

I just hope it's clear cut one way or the other, and he never has to second guess his decision.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Just doing a little back of the envelope calculations, you can clearly see that the amount of force Collin's neck received was enough to cause the damage (assuming appropriate boundary conditions, but you all must - of course - agree on this, I mean who wouldn't, right?):

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Odd, I did not expect to see Greg Jennings personal gravitation field (G^i and J^i, on the first line) play a role in Collins injury. They must have had the All-22 film when they put this together.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Dawg, he gotta do dis $#!t, put the team on his fu@&!n' neck, tho...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png