Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers Cut Cundiff

Packers Cut Cundiff

THURSDAY, Aug. 17, 2006, 3:27 p.m.
    By Tom Silverstein
    Packers cut kicker Cundiff

Green Bay - Choosing youth and leg strength over experience, the Green Bay Packers released veteran kicker Billy Cundiff Thursday afternoon, leaving Dave Rayner to handle all the kicking duties for the time being.

The move comes as a surprise given that Cundiff had been more accurate on field goals than Rayner and fairly solid on kickoffs. He has missed six field goals in two weeks of practice, including two in the team's intrasquad scrimmage on Aug. 5.

Rayner has missed more field goals, but his leg strength is better and the Packers apparently view his potential as much greater than Cundiff's. With only one kicker in camp, Rayner will receive all the repetitions in the Atlanta game Saturday and it might give the team an idea of how he handles being the main kicker.

"It was a good battle the whole way," said agent Paul Sheehy, who represents both kickers. "I"m a little surprised they did it this early. They both kicked really well. But this gives Billy a chance to find another job. I'm not worried about him being employed."

Sheehy said he was told the decision wasn't performance-based, but rather the Packers' desire to go with a stronger leg and younger prospect. Rayner, 23, served as the Indianapolis Colts' kickoff man last year after being selected in the sixth round of the draft.

He averaged 61.5 yards on his kickoffs but became expendable when the Colts signed Adam Vinatieri in free agency. Rayner is 0 for 1 in his career on field goals, missing a 59-yarder last year.

In the last kickoff drill the Packers had in practice, Cundiff averaged 66.8 yards to Rayner's 60.1. Rayner also missed two field goals in the intrasquad scrimmage, but also had a successful onsides kick in the San Diego exhibition opener.

Cundiff, who had signed a one-year deal with no signing bonus, kicked the only field goal in the game for the Packers, a 23-yarder.

Sheehy said that the Packers told him they might come back to Cundiff if things don't go well with Rayner.

They also will be on the lookout for kickers who are released when rosters are trimmed to 65 and 53.

See, now there's a move I do not understand...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I think TT must want to bring in someone slse, maybe Edinger, because Rayner isn't that great either.

That's all I can think of. Rayner's numbers aren't even as good as Cundiff's.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm puzzled by it too. They must see something in this Rayner guy. Cundiff is definitely nothing special and is ultimately replaceable.

We're just in a really shitty situation with Longwell out of the picture.

MM has to be scared, knowing that some of his games will hinge on the leg of an unknown or a unreliable journeyman.

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

Aw, crap.

Oh, wait....it's just a stupid kicker.

(At least that's what I keep telling myself.)

I would guess you'll see a new kicker signed shortly.

Edinger will be signed within the week.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

I don't see Edinger as that much better than Cundiff. And his kickoffs certainly aren't going to be as good.
    "Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end."

Wow. I was pretty shocked when I read that.

It's pretty funny that he's the agent for both kickers. He can't slam the organization for cutting Cundiff and he can't applaud the organization for keeping Rayner.

wow, i wasn't expecting that

hopefully we bring in edinger, who cares about his leg strength, ryan can kickoff and we know edinger knows how to kick in the cold sh'tty weather

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by red

hopefully we bring in edinger, who cares about his leg strength, ryan can kickoff and we know edinger knows how to kick in a dome
    There, Fixed That For You

I don't understand why TT would do this before the upcoming preseason game unless:

(a) He has identified somebody to sign in the next 48 hours,
    (b) Billy said bad things about TT's mom,
    (c) Billy was spotted doing 100 MPH on Highway 41 last night swinging an empty bottle of Jim Beam out the window of his Ford Pinto.

Interesting. I guess we should expect the unexpected.

It can't be C, Willard. Pinto's can't do 100 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial

hopefully we bring in edinger, who cares about his leg strength, ryan can kickoff and we know edinger knows how to kick in a dome
    There, Fixed That For You
    hey, he played for the bears for 5 of his 6 years. thats a tuff stadium to kick in. in fact he had better numbers outside then he did lastyear in the dome, i think

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187530

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Yes they can. Downhill with a stiff wind.

Quote Originally Posted by BooHoo
    and another car pushing it

Quote Originally Posted by BooHoo
    and another car pushing it
    I'm sure that would lead to a gas tank explosion though

Considering this quote from the story:
    Sheehy said he was told the decision wasn't performance-based, but rather the Packers' desire to go with a stronger leg and younger prospect. Rayner, 23, served as the Indianapolis Colts' kickoff man last year after being selected in the sixth round of the draft.

If this is the TT mentality then BJ is as good as gone as well. Ryan is also "a younger prospect with a stronger leg".

Quote Originally Posted by Willard
    Billy was spotted doing 100 MPH on Highway 41 last night swinging an empty bottle of Jim Beam out the window of his Ford Pinto.
    No--that was ME!!!!!