Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh. Early sign that Jennings won't be re-signed?

Uh-oh. Early sign that Jennings won't be re-signed?

There's an article on Pro Football talk saying Packers coaches think Jordy Nelson is 'elite'. Is this a sign that Jennings is expendable when he tries for his $10million pay day?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lite-receiver/

Packers receiver Jordy Nelson had a career year in 2011, with 1,263 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns, but to hear the Packers’ coaches talk, that might become the new normal for Nelson.

Green Bay wide receivers coach Edgar Bennett says Nelson isn’t just a good receiver, he’s a great receiver. And he’s a receiver who has shown in training camp that he’s getting even better.

“This guy just continues to improve. He is an elite receiver,” Bennett told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “He has those three ‘S’ words: size strength and speed. This guy is a difference-maker. You know, it’s easy to say something like that. But when you watch the guy work and what he puts into it, then you can see it. Now we have to get to the games and let the games speak for themselves.”

Nelson doesn’t have the physical gifts of Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, and he hasn’t had the production of Wes Welker or Victor Cruz, and it would be hard to place Nelson in the elite category of those receivers. Nelson seems more like a very good receiver in an offense that makes perfect use of his skills than an elite receiver who could put up big numbers in any offense.

But Green Bay’s coaching staff insists that Nelson is not just good but great.

“He’s been outstanding,” offensive coordinator Tom Clements said. “He’s a great player.”

If Nelson is as good as his coaches say he is, it would be interesting to hear them explain why he only caught two touchdown passes a year in each of his first three seasons in the Packers’ offense. But the coaching staff seems to expect a lot more 15-touchdown seasons from Nelson in the future.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    There's an article on Pro Football talk saying Packers coaches think Jordy Nelson is 'elite'. Is this a sign that Jennings is expendable when he tries for his $10million pay day?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lite-receiver/
    Yep, I never wanted to lose Jennings, but Cobb is a very similar player for far less money. Nelson is a great player. Jones is having a great camp, limiting his drops. Borel, according to MM and AR really gets the offense and has added the muscle to hold up in the NFL. He's fast, smart, good hands, athletic. . .

Unfortunately, we don't have the money to keep everyone. Hawk and Jennings look like tough keeps. Matthews, Raji and Rodgers are must keeps. If it comes down to those 5, and 2 have to go, I think it's a no-brainer.

We have young, talented players behind Jennings and Hawk. That's the tough part about the salary cap, but it's just the way it is.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Yea but I read no where in that article how Nelson is better than Jennings. Jennings is the type of person who is not going to want a break the bank type contract, hes a team guy who loves playing in Green Bay. We do need to resign all those players Harrell mentioned above but I rather cut an aging guy like Woodson then to let Jennings walk. Woodson is making outrageous money right now, I believe close to 12M. You also have Driver's 2.5M, Pickets' 6M, Saturday 4M, and hopefully Hawk's 6M that will be off the books when its time to resign those players. Most importantly though is the fact that Jennings is already making 7M, I don't see why it would be so hard to pay him 2-3M more a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Yea but I read no where in that article how Nelson is better than Jennings. Jennings is the type of person who is not going to want a break the bank type contract, hes a team guy who loves playing in Green Bay. We do need to resign all those players Harrell mentioned above but I rather cut an aging guy like Woodson then to let Jennings walk. Woodson is making outrageous money right now, I believe close to 12M. You also have Driver's 2.5M, Pickets' 6M, Saturday 4M, and hopefully Hawk's 6M that will be off the books when its time to resign those players. Most importantly though is the fact that Jennings is already making 7M, I don't see why it would be so hard to pay him 2-3M more a season.
    Woodson's salary drops off big time after this year. I have teh salary site bookmarked at home. I'll post it when I get home. It's something close to half of what he's making now.

That savings, the Hawk savings (potentially) and the Jennings savings (potentially) would all go a long way toward keeping our young superstars around. We keep getting good young players. Our window keeps getting bigger. We have to make tough choices along the way to a potential dynasty.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    All one had to do was to watch the Divisional loss to the Giants last year to see that Jennings - specifically his timing with Rodgers - is as valuable to the Packer offense as Harrison or Wayne were to Manning and the Colts at their peak. You don't mess with your best, most instinctive, natural passing connection/combination without dire consequences. At some point, Jennings will diminish significantly in skills and that's when you get rid of him, but not before. There is the possibility that Nelson or another receiver can be the Wayne to Jennings' Harrison, but that type of consistency at your top receiver position is not all that common (As common as expecting to replace a HOF QB with another HOFer -- ). So a great deal of credit for the success of Rodgers-Jennings goes to Rodgers of course, but you have to be very cautious when you start thinking that your best combination is expendable for the 'savings' of a few million.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    All one had to do was to watch the Divisional loss to the Giants last year to see that Jennings - specifically his timing with Rodgers - is as valuable to the Packer offense as Harrison or Wayne were to Manning and the Colts at their peak. You don't mess with your best, most instinctive, natural passing connection/combination without dire consequences. At some point, Jennings will diminish significantly in skills and that's when you get rid of him, but not before. There is the possibility that Nelson or another receiver can be the Wayne to Jennings' Harrison, but that type of consistency at your top receiver position is not all that common (As common as expecting to replace a HOF QB with another HOFer -- ). So a great deal of credit for the success of Rodgers-Jennings goes to Rodgers of course, but you have to be very cautious when you start thinking that your best combination is expendable for the 'savings' of a few million.
    Exactly and TT knows this, Jennings is not going anywhere.

Of course, the big one is Rodgers. Currently at just 8.5 million against the cap. That will likely double in the very near future, using up a lot of that extra cap room mentioned earlier. Many seem to think it will happen this year.

If Newhouse is starting at LT again, I have to believe they will sweeten his deal, too; maybe before the end of the year. Currently, just a half-million+ against the cap.

Combined, those two count about 9 million against the cap. That could easily become $20 million

Isn't the franchise number for a WR only about 2m above Jennings's current cap number? I would think that's a pretty easy call then.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Woodson's salary drops off big time after this year. I have teh salary site bookmarked at home. I'll post it when I get home. It's something close to half of what he's making now.

That savings, the Hawk savings (potentially) and the Jennings savings (potentially) would all go a long way toward keeping our young superstars around. We keep getting good young players. Our window keeps getting bigger. We have to make tough choices along the way to a potential dynasty.
    Not sure Woodson drops off all that much. One site has him at $10 million cap hit in 2013 and 2014.
    Interesting to see if he looks worth it this year.

Jennings makes pretty good chink already. I know some people are up for more money, but other people are going to get erased from the books soon (Woodson, Driver, Hawk, Saturday). Anybody know if the salary cap is projected to go up?
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Jennings makes pretty good chink already. I know some people are up for more money, but other people are going to get erased from the books soon (Woodson, Driver, Hawk, Saturday). Anybody know if the salary cap is projected to go up?
    Murphy said recently it's going to be pretty level the next 2 years.

That said, TT is not going to let a great player still in his prime leave via free agency. He's tight-fisted when it comes to signing free agents so he doesn't have to do that.

I think Jennings gets extended before the regular season starts.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Tag # for WRs dropped from $11.4 to $9.4 this year as a result of the new formula. But that only buys you one year, and may not make either Jennings or the team very happy.

The new gold-standard for WRs is Calvin Johnson's gazillion dollar contract from the Lions(about 7 years/$140 million). I saw an article that said cutting through the crap and funny money at the end, it is really a 5 year contract for just under $80 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Of course, the big one is Rodgers. Currently at just 8.5 million against the cap. That will likely double in the very near future, using up a lot of that extra cap room mentioned earlier. Many seem to think it will happen this year.

If Newhouse is starting at LT again, I have to believe they will sweeten his deal, too; maybe before the end of the year. Currently, just a half-million+ against the cap.

Combined, those two count about 9 million against the cap. That could easily become $20 million
    If he has another season anywhere near what he just did, Rodgers is going to be $20 million himself. See: Manning, Peyton; Brees, Drew
    --

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post

Yup, it goes down after this year. From Rotoworld:
    Signed a five-year, $55 million contract. The deal included $21 million in advances and bonuses.
    2011: $6.5 million (+ $2.05 million roster bonus + $1 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2012: $6.5 million (+ $4 million roster bonus due in April + $1 million in per-game roster bonuses),
    2013-2014: $6.5 million,
    2015: Free Agent
    According to that, his salary is $11.5million this year, but then $6.5million each of the next two. They detail $8million in bonuses, but say the deal included $21, not sure where the rest of that money is. Signing?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Tag # for WRs dropped from $11.4 to $9.4 this year as a result of the new formula. But that only buys you one year, and may not make either Jennings or the team very happy.
    I think that "keeping Jennings for another year at about the same salary" is a sensible tactical move to take, since, if nothing else, it buys the team leverage in terms of working out an extension. So I do not think that this year would be Jennings last year as a Packer under any circumstances, but next year could conceivably be that year.
    </delurk>

Jenning's 4yr $27million deal sure looks like a bargain now that Fitz and Johnson have theirs!
    --

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I would not want to sink $16 million into Jennings...$9 million at MOST, I do not know if Jennings is elite off of this team and I do not think Jordy is as good without Jennings.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

I think if Jennings were 6-5 with 4.3 speed, there's a real chance the Packers would have to get close to $16m/year to keep him. But he's not, Jennings is 5-11 with 4.4 speed. He's among the best route-runners in the business, but 5-11 4.4 guys who can play football just aren't rare like 6-5 4.3 guys who can play football are. I do think that around $9-$10m/year would get it done with Jennings.
    </delurk>

Can't we have two good receivers without assuming that one will be dumped? Jordy can be good and we still have Jennings.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    Can't we have two good receivers without assuming that one will be dumped? Jordy can be good and we still have Jennings.
    we can...if one of them doesn't cost us $15/mil or thereabouts to resign.

Not saying he'll get, or even want that. But I think he's going to be expensive.
    --