Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charles Woodson's role in the post season

Charles Woodson's role in the post season

I would not be surprised, not in the very least, it Charles Woodson comes off the bench as our dime-back to start the post season for a couple of reasons.

1. Hayward is obviously our nickel corner. Even with Woodson back, do you really consider moving Woodson to the slot and bringing in a safety? Doubtful. Hayward is going to be on the field in nickel. It's just a fact. And the Packers coaching staff has already committed him to being an inside player. House, Shields and Williams all start over Hayward outside. That's been proven. I doubt it will change.
    2. If MD Jennings is proving to be a reliable player for Capers, they might not want to risk the major change when the secondary is just starting to trust each other.
    3. The Packers are incredibly cautious with injured players. Would they stick Woodson in there full time after 10 weeks off?

I think it's incredibly obvious that Woodson is the best option as dime-inside corner. Him and Hayward make for a great inside duo. What I don't think is so incredibly obvious is whether or not the Packers want to stick a free lancer in the middle of a secondary that is finally trusting where each other are going to be. One unpredictable guy and you're looking at a whole secondary that doesn't know where it's help is going to be and will start playing unsure of their assignment.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I think you plug Woodson in right next to Morgan Burnette in all packages. Let him play the rover with Burnette deep. You can always bring in an extra safety or an extra corner in sub-packages in order to get the best players on the field. Woodson is a playmaker through and through, and our secondary will only get better in there with him creating a little havoc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Woodson doesn't make it back this season. He should have been back by now. Somethings up and the Packers are not telling us.

Example Rat Starter
    When 'Wood' returns, Capers should play more 2-2-7. I am not a big fan of seeing an inside lb or two on obvious passing downs. The Packers lbs can't cover worth a lick.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by LegandofthePack15 View Post
    When 'Wood' returns, Capers should play more 2-2-7. I am not a big fan of seeing an inside lb or two on obvious passing downs. The Packers lbs can't cover worth a lick.
    Wow thank god you are not a coach! You have proved time and again you would be a Matt Millen like GM but now you proved you are no coach either.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Woodson doesn't make it back this season. He should have been back by now. Somethings up and the Packers are not telling us.
    I have come to that position as well. I won't even be surprised if he is moved to IR, and another player signed for playoffs.

If Wood comes back, House is hurt so there is more room now than last week for him.

However, it seems very likely that Woodson has had a setback of some kind.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I hope when Woody comes back Capers uses him like Pitt uses Polumalu.

i still want a new medical staff. something is not right with that group

every single player that has been hurt for us this season has been held out weeks longer then they should have been

wood has been ready to go for 3 fucking weeks. he came out yesterday and said there has been no setback, the doctors just refuse to clear him

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i still want a new medical staff. something is not right with that group

every single player that has been hurt for us this season has been held out weeks longer then they should have been

wood has been ready to go for 3 fucking weeks. he came out yesterday and said there has been no setback, the doctors just refuse to clear him
    I have no facts to back this up:

I think that M3 holds guys back for longer or puts them on the injury list just to give them more rest time so he gets reinforcements for the playoffs. He knows he's going to make the playoffs and wants those fresh legs available, e. g.: Starks in 2010.

Example Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Wow thank god you are not a coach! You have proved time and again you would be a Matt Millen like GM but now you proved you are no coach either.
    Have you seen the Packers lbs cover?

Recall how Perry shitted his pants trying to cover earlier this season. How qbs would just throw the ball over Smith. And Hawk...the fact that Hawk has to get off the field despite the injuries at the lb position is proof that he can't cover worth a lick. Matthews is not bad but he's not good either; plus, Matthews should be doing what he does best on passing downs - rush the qb, not drop into coverage. Jones was beaten a few times the last few games but mediocre qbs like Ponder and Locker under threw their intended receivers; can't recall how many time I see Jones back facing the qb.

2 olbs (Matthews, Mosses/Waden), 2 dl and 7 dbs (Williams, Woodson, Shields, Hayward, Burnett, Jennings, House) would give the Packers max coverage efficiency while allowing Capers to blitz from all over the place.

Man, I should be a d-coordinator in the NFL.

Good post JH. I was going to start a similar topic.

At this point I'm not sure I want Woodson back this year. The secondary is playing well and has given up very few big plays. Bringing Woodson back increases the chances of picks from the safety spot, but it also increases the chances of TD's and big plays given up due to his freelancing style. I dunno whether I'm ready to roll the dice on that at this time.
    Go PACK

Example Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post

At this point I'm not sure I want Woodson back this year. The secondary is playing well and has given up very few big plays. Bringing Woodson back increases the chances of picks from the safety spot, but it also increases the chances of TD's and big plays given up due to his freelancing style. I dunno whether I'm ready to roll the dice on that at this time.
    The D hasn't faced an elite qb for a while. The last time they faced one...well, i don't even want to think that game again (see Manning, Elisha).

Trust me, the Packers are going to need Wood when they face the likes of Matt Ryan in the playoffs...and if they're lucky, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in the SB.

Fuck Matt Ryan.

There's going to be a Boston College reunion in Matt Ryan's lap if Green Bay plays Atlanta.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Example Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Fuck Matt Ryan.
    You can hate or fuck Matt Ryan any way you want. But there's no denying Ryan is the real deal.

Matt Ryan after 15 games: 4,481 PYDS, 69 CMP%, 31 TDS, 100.2 RAT. Most importantly, 13-2.

You can hate or fuck Matt Ryan any way you want. But there's no denying Ryan is the real deal.

Matt Ryan after 15 games: 4,481 PYDS, 69 CMP%, 31 TDS, 100.2 RAT. Most importantly, 13-2.
    Post Season Matt Ryan, when his carriage turns back into a pumpkin:

63.6%, 584 Yards, 3 TD, 4 INT, 71.2 rating, 5.31 YPA

Most importantly 0-3.

Example Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Post Season Matt Ryan, when his carriage turns back into a pumpkin:

63.6%, 584 Yards, 3 TD, 4 INT, 71.2 rating, 5.31 YPA

Most importantly 0-3.
    I hope I don't have to bump this thread up later. That would mean the Falcons won the SB and not the Packers.

I hope I don't have to bump this thread up later. That would mean the Falcons won the SB and not the Packers.
    Think back through your history of your own fandom of the NFL and specifically the Packers. How often have you been right? I'm not asking you to post your findings, just be honest with yourself and maybe gain some much needed objectivity.

"Now a question of etiquette, as I pass do I give you the ass or the crotch?"

I wonder if there is something structurally wrong with Woodson's collarbone. Isn't it the same one he broke 2 years ago? It might be a stretch to suggest he could be finished, but who knows?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen