Thread: Lambeau #10

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lambeau #10

Espn bloggers have voted Curly as the tenth best coach in history. I am happy he made top ten but after three losing seasons in 31 and 6 titles while pioneering the passing game I thought he would be higher.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?story...reatestcoach10

There's usually a bias in favor of more recent players and coaches in these kinds of lists.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

What a legacy for Mr. Earl Louis "Curly" Lambeau (April 9, 1898 – June 1, 1965)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_L...ng_the_Packers

" 'Curly' Lambeau and George Whitney Calhoun formed the Green Bay Packers on August 11, 1919, while Lambeau was working as a shipping clerk at the Indian Packing Company.

The Packers initially played teams from Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula; however, the success of the team in 1919-20 quickly led to its joining of the American Professional Football Association, with the league changing its name to the National Football League in 1922."

Playing career

" Lambeau played for the Packers from 1919 to 1929. Although Lambeau played halfback, he was both the primary runner and passer, as was common practice during that period; most teams used the single wing offense at the time. Lambeau threw the Packers' first official pass, first official touchdown pass, and kicked the Packers' first official field goal." Fr. LINK above

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    What does penicillin and the Packers have to do with one another?

If one existed, the other one might not.

Curly Lambeau did not return to Notre Dame (played for Knute Rockne) after his freshman year of 1918 because of severe tonsillitis. Penicillin was not discovered until 1928. Had it existed in 1918, Lambeau likely would have returned to Notre Dame for his sophomore season and beyond, and professional football may have never been known to Green Bay.

Strange, but true.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    What does penicillin and the Packers have to do with one another?

If one existed, the other one might not.

Curly Lambeau did not return to Notre Dame (played for Knute Rockne) after his freshman year of 1918 because of severe tonsillitis. Penicillin was not discovered until 1928. Had it existed in 1918, Lambeau likely would have returned to Notre Dame for his sophomore season and beyond, and professional football may have never been known to Green Bay.

Strange, but true.
    Lucky they invented that shit.

I'm sure Curly had a few shots of penicillin in his time.

With Walsh being #2 Lombardi is voted # 1.

I am surprised Walsh was #2, I thought if brown wasn't #1 he was #2 at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    With Walsh being #2 Lombardi is voted # 1.

I am surprised Walsh was #2, I thought if brown wasn't #1 he was #2 at worst.
    Pretty rarefied air, and a good case could be made for Brown to be higher, of course. His influence in unparalleled. #2 and #3 on the list are from the 1st generation of his coaching tree, and Belichick has said he was inspired (at the age of 8!) by watching a Brown practice.

Marc Trestman is precariously attached to the Brown coaching tree - via Howard Schnellenberger. Ya, I don't know who he is either.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Espn bloggers have voted Curly as the tenth best coach in history. I am happy he made top ten but after three losing seasons in 31 and 6 titles while pioneering the passing game I thought he would be higher.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?story...reatestcoach10
    it's unfortunate they have the traitor on that video
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...vince-lombardi

As told by Bart Starr

"For the folks who weren't in the meeting rooms and on the practice field, I would tell you the story of how Coach Lombardi approached us when he first came to Green Bay. I had already been there for three seasons, and we had not had much success.

Well, in our first session, he was so strong and dynamic and powerful; when we took our first break after 30 minutes or so, I ran down the hall and into one of the offices and called my wife back here in Alabama. I said, "Honey, we're going to start winning." I mean, it was that obvious. "

"One time in my first or second year, he just chewed my butt out in a big group meeting. I had made some errors, some small things, but he really got into me. Later that day, I asked permission to see him. I said to him, "I know I made some mistakes, but the next time I do that, I would ask you respectfully to do it in the privacy of this office. I have to lead these men and I can't do it to the full extent if you're undermining me in front of them."

Well, he looked at me and he apologized and said, "It will never happen again." And, nope, it never did."
    Last edited by Upnorth; 06-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.