Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trade a DT Now!

Trade a DT Now!

We have so much depth at the position that we'll be cutting a very good player in a couple of weeks with nothing to show in return. Trade somebody now for one of the many positions where we have questionable depth. Or maybe even a draft pick.

DT's are a scarce commodity in the NFL. Look at ATL scooping up Grady. It's nearing desperation time for some teams, and Ted should be able to parlay our excessive depth into something of value.

? HOFer
    i'll parlay your excessive depth

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar
    We also seem fat at DB. I wonder if we could package something together. Draft pick, OL help, I'd take something like that.

maybe for a saftey?

but which DT should be traded, aren't they all pretty equal?

Keep em all. I like the insane rotation on 5 fresh DT all game long. It compensates fro what they lack in pure talent along the line. I opposing interior lines will have a long day ahead when they play the pack.
    "For a fan base that so gratefully took to success, it bothers me how easily some fans are resigned to failure."

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

Which ones to keep?

Pickett
    Cole
    Williams
    Allen
    Jenkins
    Jolly

I think the only way we can keep all six is to be able to give someone like Jenkins some snaps on the outside. But that means someone like Peterson would be hittin' the road. (not that I think that would be a bad thing.)

At ends we have

Kampman
    KGB
    Montgomery
    Peterson

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack0514
    Which ones to keep?

Pickett
    Cole
    Williams
    Allen

Jolly

I think the only way we can keep all six is to be able to give someone like Jenkins some snaps on the outside. But that means someone like Peterson would be hittin' the road. (not that I think that would be a bad thing.)

At ends we have

Kampman
    KGB
    Montgomery
    Jenkins
    T, FTFY

My math says 6DT's + 4DE's = 10. Its not out of the realm to keep 10 although keeping 9 is also common. 5Dt's and 5DE's would be more common, but.... There are too many unproven guys to get much. I think it is more likely to sneak one onto the practice squad.

Funny how last season everyone was bitching about the "quality" of the Dline guys, now there is concern about "waiving" one of these quality guys.... Amazing the difference a season makes. Or maybe it is the new coach.... Or just August optimism.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    My math says 6DT's + 4DE's = 10. Its not out of the realm to keep 10 although keeping 9 is also common. 5Dt's and 5DE's would be more common, but.... There are too many unproven guys to get much. I think it is more likely to sneak one onto the practice squad.

Funny how last season everyone was bitching about the "quality" of the Dline guys, now there is concern about "waiving" one of these quality guys.... Amazing the difference a season makes. Or maybe it is the new coach.... Or just August optimism.
    I think August optimism is more likely. We've got a slew of average guys at a position where you want difference makers. It's really quite a pickel.

Has Kenny Peterson ever made a play? I say cut him.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Re: Trade a DT Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    We have so much depth at the position that we'll be cutting a very good player in a couple of weeks with nothing to show in return. Trade somebody now for one of the many positions where we have questionable depth. Or maybe even a draft pick.

DT's are a scarce commodity in the NFL. Look at ATL scooping up Grady. It's nearing desperation time for some teams, and Ted should be able to parlay our excessive depth into something of value.
    I see the same thing Scott.

I was proposing that we package a DT (Do we risk Johnny Jolly on the PS?) If the Coach's do "in fact" see potential in him. Maybe package a DT with a RB/FB or WR (not that I see alot there.That ? at WR will depend on the ? of WR Ruvell Martin ready or not to contribute on Offense/ST's? They must like something in R.Martin - as he's being tried all over for versatility.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH IN 2006 !!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

? HOFer
    Jolly won't last on the PS. I thought he was projected 3rd-4th round before his injury. He's going to be a solid player here.

You can't sneak any of these guys on the practice squad. They'll be gone. You might just as well waive them.

You can't sneak any of these guys on the practice squad. They'll be gone. You might just as well waive them.
    Let's try to trade the one's that are expendabe, not flush them down the toilet.

I believe we have alot of players that might be offered in a trade when you really study that option.

GO PACK GO. FAITH in 2006 !!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27
    Let's try to trade the one's that are expendabe, not flush them down the toilet.

I believe we have alot of players that might be offered in a trade when you really study that option.

GO PACK GO. FAITH in 2006 !!
    To get them onto the practice squad you have to waive them. Then they have to sit something like 8 days and then you can sign them to the p squad. I think that's how it works.
    "For a fan base that so gratefully took to success, it bothers me how easily some fans are resigned to failure."

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

It'll be tough to trade any - cause everybody knows someone's going to be waived, and they're pretty content to sit and wait for that.

I can't see us keeping 10 - there's talk of an extra WR or OL because we're thin on talent there. And we have to keep an extra FB due to Henderson's injury, etc. 10 DL just isn't going to happen.

3 QBs
    9 OL
    9 DL
    3 HB
    2 FB
    5 WR
    9 DB (10 is possible)
    6 LB
    3 TE
    LS
    P
    K
    =52
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by GregJennings
    Has Kenny Peterson ever made a play? I say cut him.
    I disagree, to a point. When he's in at DT, he's got some good pressures and a sack or two I think. He's INVISIBLE as a DE which is where they've played him the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness
    9 DB (10 is possible)

=52

10 db's? - No way. 9 maybe.

Roster is 53, not 52. There is my 10th DT.

i bet TT is looking for a trade right now. but teams are vry cautious when it comes to trading valuable players.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I'm the DL grinch, but I don't see many of these lineman that we'd be willing to trade having much value. Maybe a 7th or somebody soon to be cut, but that's about it. Most of these guys are currently developing but average backups..rotation guys.

When I look at the ideal example of somebody so stockpiled with talent they can get good value for a player who could really help some other team...............I look at Philadelphia and Al Harris being the #3 there and us trading a 2nd round pick for him.

We don't have quality to trade away; just roster fill ins.

B