Thread: GREAT JENNINGS ARTICLE...comparisons to future HOFer

Blog Entries

GREAT JENNINGS ARTICLE...comparisons to future HOFer

Receiver catching everyone's eye
    Jennings impressing coaches, teammates
    By BOB McGINN
    bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: Aug. 25, 2006

Green Bay - If ability to assimilate rapidly a National Football League system is an indicator of future success, the Green Bay Packers have hit the jackpot with wide receiver Greg Jennings.

Brett Favre and rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings (left) could be two players mentioned in the same sentence a few times this season.

Jimmy Robinson has been coaching Jennings hard during four weeks of training camp. This is his 17th straight season tutoring wide receivers in the NFL, and he was an NFL wide receiver for six years before that.

The five teams for which Robinson has coached drafted 17 wide receivers, including eight in the first three rounds. Most of them struggled as rookies, typical for the position. The one who didn't was Marvin Harrison, and 10 years later that's the receiver Robinson can't get out of his mind when he watches Jennings.

"The only other guy I can remember that came in and pretty much knew what he was doing right away was Marvin Harrison," said Robinson, who coached him in 1996 and '97, his first two seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

"Honestly, I don't remember if he burst on the scene kind of the way Greg has or not. But I know that Marvin was out there very natural at everything he was doing right from the start."

Harrison, 34, is destined for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is the only receiver in history to average better than 90 receptions per season, including a record 143 in 2002. He ranks third all time in receiving touchdowns with 110. He has been a Pro Bowl starter for the last seven years.

The Colts used the 19th pick in 1996 in take Harrison out of Syracuse. He started 15 of 16 games as a rookie, caught 64 passes for 836 yards with Jim Harbaugh and Paul Justin at quarterback and scored eight touchdowns

Indianapolis went 9-7 under coach Lindy Infante and made the playoffs as a wild card.

That year at the combine, Harrison measured 5 feet 11 7/8 inches, weighed 181 pounds and scored 12 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. After declining to work out, he ran 40 yards that spring in 4.37 seconds.

Jennings was 5-11 7/8 and 197, scored 17 on the Wonderlic and ran 4.42 at the combine. Both his vertical jump (36½ inches) and broad jump (9-9) were common for the position.

"Marvin's definitely a lot thinner than Greg," Robinson said. "When he got to camp, Marvin was probably 176. He's a very thin-waisted guy. Small legs. He's not built like Greg."

At Syracuse, Harrison redshirted in 1991, backed up in '92 and then started for three years. At Western Michigan, Jennings redshirted in 2001, backed up in '02 and then essentially started for three years.

Harrison finished with 135 receptions, 2,718 yards, a 20.4-yard average and 20 touchdowns. Jennings had 238 catches, 3,539 yards, a 14.9 average and 39 touchdowns.

Also, Harrison returned 42 punts for a 12.9 average and two touchdowns. Jennings had 49 punt returns, an 11.0 average and two touchdowns.

The Orangemen were 32-13-1 during Harrison's four seasons; the Broncos were 17-29 in Jennings' four seasons.

"Both have excellent hands and catch the ball in their hands real naturally," Robinson said.

"I don’t know that Greg would have the top-end speed that Marvin had when he was a rookie but he certainly catches the ball like Marvin does."
    Charles Woodson and Al Harris, the Packers' starting cornerbacks, agreed with Robinson that Jennings has a much different body type from Harrison.

Harris was adamant about not comparing the two, insisting that it was unfair to Jennings.

"I think Jennings is doing an exceptional job," Harris said. "Don't get me wrong. I'm not doubting his talent. But you never know what he will produce to."

Calling Harrison a "great" wide receiver and clearly one of the top three in the NFL, Woodson didn't see many similarities.

"(Jennings) has come in and looked like he's been here before," Woodson said. "If you're not on your technique, he can get you. He's pretty good off the ball. Shifty. Good quickness. Good coming in and out of his breaks. Very good hands."

Robinson still marvels at the high quality of player the Packers found with the 52nd selection.

"Marvin is a rare commodity, a special guy," he said. "If Greg even approximates what Marvin has done in this league, he will have done very well."

That's my guy...
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I know what your thinking, B.

Why not start him Vs. da BEARS with Donald Driver.

Greg Jennings has earned that distinction.

PACKERS ! FAITH IN 2006 !!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I think the comparisons are overboard. The guy is a rookie. He could be anywhere from very good to great. Harrison might be a top 5 all time NFL WR. I just think it's going too far to compare them like that.

I don't think there is any way he has as good of career as Harrison. If I had to guess, I would say slightly better than Antonio Freeman and Freeman in his prime was a top 6 NFL WR. I think Jennings can be that good for a few years. Harrison was that good for a freaking decade.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27

he has earned it, more then any other WR besides driver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red

Green Bay has to start him versus Chicago. How can they not ?

He's outperformed his competition and earned it.

The vets he's competed against are under achievers.

How can he not start ?

B

Quote Originally Posted by GregJennings
    I think the comparisons are overboard. The guy is a rookie. He could be anywhere from very good to great. Harrison might be a top 5 all time NFL WR. I just think it's going too far to compare them like that.

I don't think there is any way he has as good of career as Harrison. If I had to guess, I would say slightly better than Antonio Freeman and Freeman in his prime was a top 6 NFL WR. I think Jennings can be that good for a few years. Harrison was that good for a freaking decade.
    No kidding...the Vikes have a rookie that bloggers have been raving about in camp....Jason Carter. So far Jennings leads all recievers in yards in preseason....Carter is number 2...(played one more game than Jennings though) but are both guys HOFers? Nope, we'll see what happens when the real defenses are in place for the regular season. I do like Jennings though, he should have a good career.

Blog Entries

Agree completely; reality is you want a solid starter from your 2nd round draft pick. I'd certainly expect Jennings to be that and maybe more so it looks like TT hit on this pick.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak

No kidding...the Vikes have a rookie that bloggers have been raving about in camp....Jason Carter. So far Jennings leads all recievers in yards in preseason....Carter is number 2...(played one more game than Jennings though) but are both guys HOFers? Nope, we'll see what happens when the real defenses are in place for the regular season. I do like Jennings though, he should have a good career.
    well i think its obvious that you guys have steve smith to our marvin harrison

how can you not see that. they've played 2 or in your case 3 preseason games.

good grief, what more do they have to prove to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak

LOL

You feelin ok today Red? You .....seem......to have ..... developed a sense of humor. this is VERY funny. Who are you, and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE with Red?

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy

You feelin ok today Red? You .....seem......to have ..... developed a sense of humor. this is VERY funny. Who are you, and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE with Red?
    its the same humor i always use, some people just miss it, and take what i say seriously, and go on and on and on and on about it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retailguy

its the same humor i always use, some people just miss it, and take what i say seriously, and go on and on and on and on about it

I never take you seriously

no one should lol

Re: GREAT JENNINGS ARTICLE...comparisons to future HOFer

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky

The Colts used the 19th pick in 1996 in take Harrison out of Syracuse. He started 15 of 16 games as a rookie, caught 64 passes for 836 yards with Jim Harbaugh and Paul Justin at quarterback and scored eight touchdowns

Indianapolis went 9-7 under coach Lindy Infante and made the playoffs as a wild card.
    If you recall, the Packers faced Lindy Infante and his Colts in a preseason game that year. I think Tony Mandarich was on that team also. Mild-mannered Lindy somehow got his team all revved up and they dismantled us. And Marvin Harrison put on a damned clinic that night.

A.J. Hawk and Greg Jennings and Abdul Hodge! Thank you TT.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky

Green Bay has to start him versus Chicago. How can they not ?

He's outperformed his competition and earned it.

The vets he's competed against are under achievers.

How can he not start ?

B

It's like this:

Brett Favre is gettig really comfortable with Greg Jennings...a large step up for a young WR, to have his QB's confidence /approval.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH in 2006 !!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Nice pick Woody, we will see a lot more of them connecting on the field this year to.

BTW, who says Favre is starting to look old.

Woodbuck,you are absolutely correct about it helping a young receivers confidence when his QB respects him. Add to that the QB is Brett and I think that adds to his confidence big time. By the way AWESOME picture.

So when can I get my Greg Jennings jersey online? I want to wear one for the october 8th game vs Rams. I can't wait!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

rforce, welcome to PR! Nice to have another fan on board!!