Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Year's DC

Next Year's DC

The writing is on the wall. There is no way this team, specifically the Defense turns it around this year. I really believe Capers will not be the DC next year.

Who takes over the defense? I don't think that person is currently on the Packer Coaching staff. I think MM sticks with a 3-4 defense. I believe he has stated before that he prefers a 3-4, not to mention this team is pretty much built for a 3-4.

I don't know who that person could be. If I had a choice, I would want Ray Horton who is currently the DC in Cleveland. Unless his contract is up, I don't think we could get him unless he's offered an assist. head coach position or something like that.

Who are some 3-4 Def. up and comers that could be here next year?

I would have been happy had they brought Horton in over this past offseason but unfortuately, that's not the Packers' style. My main criticism of M3 is that he is loyal to a fault to his staff.

More than likely, they'll retire Capers and promote from within.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I would have been happy had they brought Horton in over this past offseason but unfortuately, that's not the Packers' style. My main criticism of M3 is that he is loyal to a fault to his staff.

More than likely, they'll retire Capers and promote from within.
    thats what they said on one of the post game chats too

i wouldn't want that, i think the whole defensive staff should go

i do think we stick with the 3-4 though unfortunately, we're tied to clay and clay is a 3-4 guy

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i do think we stick with the 3-4 though unfortunately, we're tied to clay and clay is a 3-4 guy
    I disagree. Clay is a football player. I don't even think he is an elite pass rusher. I think he would be just fine in a 4-3. Also, Neal and/or Perry wouldn't have any problem playing end in the 4-3, Jolly, Datone, Worthy are all guys who can play inside.

If the desire to switch back were there, we could adjust.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I disagree. Clay is a football player. I don't even think he is an elite pass rusher. I think he would be just fine in a 4-3. Also, Neal and/or Perry wouldn't have any problem playing end in the 4-3, Jolly, Datone, Worthy are all guys who can play inside.

If the desire to switch back were there, we could adjust.
    you can't pay a guy as much money as we just gave clay to be an OLB in a 4-3. and coverage isn't his strong suite

i just don't know if he's that far above average doing anything but rushing the passer

his cap number is 11.5 next year and it goes up every year after that. thats waaaay too much money for a will or sam OLB in a 4-3, much less one that might just be "solid" at that position

WOLB would be a better fit for Hawk. But there is no MLB on the roster. Not sure there is a 1 or 3 technique worth keeping now. Lots of ends. It would be a mess but would surprise people for a year until they could scheme it off film.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post

Who are some 3-4 Def. up and comers that could be here next year?
    Up and comers? I would love for the Packers to give ex-Packer great and current KC assistant DB coach, Al Harris, a a shot as D-coordinator. Harris inexperienced but he's smart.

If McCarthy wants an experienced guy, there are and will be plenty of big fishes in the sea. Romeo Crennel and Lovie Smith are some examples. But the guy I'd hire if I don't get Al Harris is:

REX RYAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgers12 View Post
    Up and comers? I would love for the Packers to give ex-Packer great and current KC assistant DB coach, Al Harris, a a shot as D-coordinator. Harris inexperienced but he's smart.

If McCarthy wants an experienced guy, there are and will be plenty of big fishes in the sea. Romeo Crennel and Lovie Smith are some examples. But the guy I'd hire if I don't get Al Harris is:

REX RYAN.
    Yea and Rex might help Mike McCarthy look more buff on the sidelines.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Yea and Rex might help Mike McCarthy look more buff on the sidelines.
    LOL.

I think it might be good to let Capers go now and let Winston Moss or Kevin Greene finish the season at DC, to see how they do, then decide at the end of the year what our options are.
    Thanks Ted!

Kevin Greene? He's been an Assistant Coach - Outside Linebackers for 4+ years, that's it. No other coaching experience. That's a lot more green (pun intended) than I want the next DC to be.

I don't think I want Moss either. I would rather have someone with a proven track record as DC, especially since MM has no background in defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgers12 View Post

REX RYAN.
    You are on the right track, but Al needs more time. How about Tim Lewis? Anyone know where he is?

you can't pay a guy as much money as we just gave clay to be an OLB in a 4-3. and coverage isn't his strong suite

i just don't know if he's that far above average doing anything but rushing the passer

his cap number is 11.5 next year and it goes up every year after that. thats waaaay too much money for a will or sam OLB in a 4-3, much less one that might just be "solid" at that position
    I do agree, the contract makes it difficult, but I disagree about what he does well. I think he is merely above average at rushing the passer (inferior to Kampman), but he is awesome vs. the run, pursuit, and good, not great in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Kevin Greene? He's been an Assistant Coach - Outside Linebackers for 4+ years, that's it. No other coaching experience. That's a lot more green (pun intended) than I want the next DC to be.

I don't think I want Moss either. I would rather have someone with a proven track record as DC, especially since MM has no background in defense.
    If I am not mistaken, Trgovac is the only Packer Def. coach that has been a Defensive Coordinator. If Capers was fired today, that's who I think takes over - BUT, didn't he run a 4-3 with the Panthers? Not saying he can't run a 3-4 Defense, but his history was with a 4-3, so long term, I don't think he's the answer if McCarthy decided to wait until the end of the year and then promoted within.

I like Greene's fire, but there's no way he becomes a DC. He's just too inexperienced.

One of the head coaches that gets fired this off season that will never HC again. Leslie Frazier?
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

the problem with kevin greene is that he's never coached before, like patler said

motivating and running 4 or 5 guys through their drills is much different then running the whole defense and calling all the plays

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead View Post
    One of the head coaches that gets fired this off season that will never HC again. Leslie Frazier?
    can he run the 3-4? or is he a 4-3 guy?

so, would we have to switch if we grab him? if we switch i would rather go with lovie to tell the truth

thats what they said on one of the post game chats too

i wouldn't want that, i think the whole defensive staff should go

Hi red:

" thats what they said on one of the post game chats too "

I'm going to review that today after going out for stuff. Which chat are you referring to?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by packrulz View Post
    I think it might be good to let Capers go now and let Winston Moss or Kevin Greene finish the season at DC, to see how they do, then decide at the end of the year what our options are.
    That might paint MM into a corner.

I feel we go the course and move quick when we see what's available after the regular season.

Packers !

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Yes.