Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unsubstantiated Rumor : Woodson close to signing w/GB

Unsubstantiated Rumor : Woodson close to signing w/GB

This is just a rumor I've read at other forums. Zero confirmation it's true. Evidently sports talk 107.5 in NE Wisconsin is going with the rumor.

4 year deal with $10 million up front.

Unsubstantiated rumors are the best kind.

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    Our secondary is gonna RAWK with Rod Woodson signed.

(I thought he retired...)

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

If that rumor is true and the amount of money is correct i would believe that woodson would jump on that. I see no way the TB could match that offer, but i could be mistake. Hopefully its true, id love to see CW here, i think he would make a great addition and upgrade the our secondary instantly.

I'd love to see him step into the GB secondary and prove he has no long-term, lingering problems from his injury and that the Raidaz made a big mistake. Wouldn't it be nice if it worked out like that?

Fun rumor. Thanks for posting.

tyler

I can't get excited about Woodson. That's not to say it would be a bad use of the cap room, there may be nothing out there better.

I'd rather nab Arrington, I think they need more help at pass rush than secondary.

Gotta love rumors. I list you gave us your sources.

With Ted Thompson, I'll believe it when Woodson is giving his first press conference in Green Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    I can't get excited about Woodson. That's not to say it would be a bad use of the cap room, there may be nothing out there better.

I'd rather nab Arrington, I think they need more help at pass rush than secondary.
    Financially, Thompson could get both, but we know that ain't going to happen.

That is a rumor that I like.

Let's see how good we are tracking this one down.

Charles Woodson in Green Bay gives us real hope and we need that.Now lets make sure that Lavar Arrington doesn't slip away, if we can possibly get him and the risks weigh in OUR favor. These two players plus Ryan Pickett and Marquand Manual and resigning Kampman all make TT look good.

All that, give's us at least some hope, and one or the other we have to sign Woodson or Arrington. We have the money for a good reason ! Let's use it for that.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Like you guys, I won't get excited about Woodson or Arrington either until a press conference happens. And an unsubstantiated rumor is pretty much worthless. But, hey, at least there's some positive buzz by someone. It's not like the Packers organization itself is going to throw some positivity our way and let us see what's going on behind the curtain.

I wonder if Woodson is waiting for Favre, similar to Arrington.

tyler

I think the defense is really coming together.

The only positions that are set on offense are tackle & maybe tight end. That's pretty shakey.

Yes right Arrington over Woodson but Arrington's price will be higher and that will be a factor but Ted has got to do something.

It's been too dead. I want to see Ted Thompson's pulse.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

If either of those guys is going to be signed it will have to be in the next 3 days I would imagine because we are now getting too close to the draft. It seems like every year at this time all FA activity stops as GM's are looking at talent in the draft.
    "For a fan base that so gratefully took to success, it bothers me how easily some fans are resigned to failure."

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers

Financially, Thompson could get both, but we know that ain't going to happen.
    uhhhh no we don't

uhhhh no we don't
    How do you figure we don't? We have $19-20M cap space available. We need $7M to sign rookies. That leaves $12-13M of unused cap space. Woodson might get something that averages $5M/year for 5 years, but you know the last year or two is going to have a big number. I figure any likely deal that gets done would have a cap figure of no more than $4M this year. Arrington might get something a little better, but that still leaves ~$7M for the rookies and ~$5M to go into the season with.

Brian Williams got a 6y/$32M deal with Jacksonville with a $10M signing bonus, but the cap number for 2006 is only $2.7M.

Andre Carter got a 6y/$30M deal with San Francicso the cap number for 2006 is around $4M.

Will Witherspoon got a 6y/$33M deal with St. Louis with a $10.5M signing bonus, but his cap number for 2006 is only $3.75M.

We are in a position to offer more up-front money than that even. It's not so bad to backload a contract a little bit--you just don't want to have the deal kill you if the guy gets cut after 3 years. Some big numbers at the back end looks good for the player and agent, but realistically the player won't see all of that money.

? HOFer
    see, but would you rather he sign arrington now or get someone better and more reliable when they have more depth and are a competitive team? spending money when you're bad is not necessarily a good idea. Keep in mind by getting so close to the cap this year they won't have the money to sign anyone next..

Arrington is only 27. Woodson is 29. They should be around in 2-3 years when this team is winning again. Plus, in the NFL you never throw away a season. Look at all of the teams that came out of nowhere. I think there was something like 5 new division winners last year from the year before (New England, Indianapolis, and Seattle were the only repeat winners). You get the right players, stay healthy, and get on a roll early in the year, and anything can happen.

? HOFer
    But, if you're going to spend the big bucks, are you sure you want your cap money tied up in these guys? I don't know that they're the right people

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    But, if you're going to spend the big bucks, are you sure you want your cap money tied up in these guys? I don't know that they're the right people
    '

But if you have a shitload of free cap, what's the huge risk? If you front load it it's even less....still a waste of money but no future impact.....