Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Things I don't understand following the Buffalo game

Things I don't understand following the Buffalo game

Things I just don't understand after Sunday's game:

I don't understand why GB had only 22 rushing plays (15 for Lacy, 4 for Starks, 3 for Cobb) and 46 passing plays (42 pass attempts, 1 sack, 3 Rodgers "rushes" that are really passing plays) in a close game, when runners were averaging 6 yards/carry and the running game worked all game long (evidenced by 131 yards gained on just 22 plays while the longest was only 22 yards) and the passing game misfired all game long due to drops, uncharacteristic inaccuracy, poor timing and miscommunication. Seems like a game made for more running.

I don't understand how professional announcers at the top of the announcing ladder can go into an NFL broadcast not knowing the proper pronunciations of so many players' names. It happens accidentally once in a while, but yesterday it was so common as to be evidence of extremely poor preparation. Repeat the difficult names out loud correctly 10 times, and you have them. I guess that was too much work for these guys.

I don't understand why the NFL insists on having so many special circumstance rules. Most come about due to an unusual play that had results the league didn't like for one reason or another, but the impact of such rules is usually bad in other, often more common circumstances. The special rule for fumbles in the last two minutes eliminates the intentional fumble to gain yards, but on Rodgers fumble yesterday what would be unjust if Lacy recovered and advanced at least out of the endzone? I especially dislike plays that are OK for 28 minutes, but not OK in the last two minutes.

I don't understand why the "dropsies" seems to often hit the Packers collectively and not individually. Nelson, Cobb, Rodgers, Quarless, Starks, Adams all failed to bring in throws. You can survive a game with a player or two with butterfingers, but not when the entire team can't catch.

I don't understand why the Packers can't seem to fix an obvious blocking problem in their kicking/punting game. They have given up six blocks on FGs, extra points and punts this year.

I don't understand why GB continues to use Harris to return kicks. There are 72 players this year who average more than Harris' 20.7 yards/return. Sure, some of the 72 have only one or two returns, but on the other hand, no one with 20 or more returns is worse than Harris. Harris sometimes doesn't make the 20 yard line even when the kick isn't in the end zone. Put Hyde back there, Janis, Goodsen, anyone.

I don't understand how Slocum keeps his job year after year
    Last edited by Patler; 12-15-2014 at 12:07 PM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I don't understand how professional announcers at the top of the announcing ladder....
    It's all explained in here:

'Professional announcing' for football games is usually a bad Diehl.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Seems like a game made for more running.
    Requires iron will discipline from a head coach. Stubby is just too in love with the 'big play' passing offense to give it up. But if the Packers had stuck to a grind it out running game, they probably win (exception being made for Lacy's bad shoulder).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I agree with that, rand. I do think MM is like a moth to flame with the idea of the big play.

But in general, I agree with all those questions Patler put out there. It was one weird game.

How does Slocum keep his job, again?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Requires iron will discipline from a head coach. Stubby is just too in love with the 'big play' passing offense to give it up. But if the Packers had stuck to a grind it out running game, they probably win (exception being made for Lacy's bad shoulder).
    Except for five plays, everything was short passing wise. They were fighting a headwind on that. I WISH they had gone deep more in the 2nd and 4th with the wind.

I kinda like the MyKay Hyde player.

The play by play guy was brutal. It was like listening in on a first date. I would have preferred the Boon Go The Dynamite kid.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I don't understand why the NFL insists on having so many special circumstance rules. Most come about due to an unusual play that had results the league didn't like for one reason or another, but the impact of such rules is usually bad in other, often more common circumstances. The special rule for fumbles in the last two minutes eliminates the intentional fumble to gain yards, but on Rodgers fumble yesterday what would be unjust if Lacy recovered and advanced at least out of the endzone? I especially dislike plays that are OK for 28 minutes, but not OK in the last two minutes.
    That was the result of the Rozelle - Al Davis feud. The League hated the Raiders getting over on anyone.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I once heard it explained this way: 10% of the rule book covers most of the teams, in most of the situations. All the other pages can be classified as 'Raider Rules' that were brought in, one at a time, to cover situations created and exploited by Al Davis.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That was the result of the Rozelle - Al Davis feud. The League hated the Raiders getting over on anyone.
    lol, that's pretty much what I just said!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I don't understand why GB had only 22 rushing plays (15 for Lacy, 4 for Starks, 3 for Cobb) and 46 passing plays (42 pass attempts, 1 sack, 3 Rodgers "rushes" that are really passing plays) in a close game, when runners were averaging 6 yards/carry and the running game worked all game long (evidenced by 131 yards gained on just 22 plays while the longest was only 22 yards) and the passing game misfired all game long due to drops, uncharacteristic inaccuracy, poor timing and miscommunication. Seems like a game made for more running.

I don't understand how professional announcers at the top of the announcing ladder can go into an NFL broadcast not knowing the proper pronunciations of so many players' names. It happens accidentally once in a while, but yesterday it was so common as to be evidence of extremely poor preparation. Repeat the difficult names out loud correctly 10 times, and you have them. I guess that was too much work for these guys.

I don't understand why the "dropsies" seems to often hit the Packers collectively and not individually. Nelson, Cobb, Rodgers, Quarless, Starks, Adams all failed to bring in throws. You can survive a game with a player or two with butterfingers, but not when the entire team can't catch.

I don't understand why the Packers can't seem to fix an obvious blocking problem in their kicking/punting game. They have given up six blocks on FGs, extra points and punts this year.

I don't understand why GB continues to use Harris to return kicks. There are 72 players this year who average more than Harris' 20.7 yards/return. Sure, some of the 72 have only one or two returns, but on the other hand, no one with 20 or more returns is worse than Harris. Harris sometimes doesn't make the 20 yard line even when the kick isn't in the end zone. Put Hyde back there, Janis, Goodsen, anyone.

You nailed it Patler!

One of the finest posts I've read on this forum in all my years here.

Congratulations Patler.

Repped.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Except for five plays, everything was short passing wise. They were fighting a headwind on that. I WISH they had gone deep more in the 2nd and 4th with the wind.
    Many times the big play comes from a short catch. I was thinking more run versus pass ratio than bomb versus intermediate/short.

All valid questions Patler. Was M3 asked these questions after the game? The 22 rushing plays is just mind boggling...the recipe was there and M3/Arod burned it.

The announcers just flat out sucked.....was it Diehl? Just flat out horrible.

So disappointing with the offense and special teams. Slocum should be gone TODAY! The defense played pretty damn well on the other hand......you forgot the refs though. It seemed like they let the Bill DBs do what ever they wanted....
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Many times the big play comes from a short catch. I was thinking more run versus pass ratio than bomb versus intermediate/short.
    Agree on the run. M3 just doesn't like keeping Lacy off the field.Odd considering how many formations and TEs he runs out there. Its not exactly against his philosophy for a backup to get significant snaps.

Big boned Mike continues to confound, confuse and consternate with his curious calls.

He has the horses to run the race he professes to want to run but then doesn't give them the free rein to do so.

Is he stupid? Inflexible? Easily overwhelmed? Dogmatic?

He's a solid coach, but shit like yesterday totally gasts my flabber.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    All valid questions Patler. Was M3 asked these questions after the game? The 22 rushing plays is just mind boggling...the recipe was there and M3/Arod burned it.

The announcers just flat out sucked.....was it Diehl? Just flat out horrible.

So disappointing with the offense and special teams. Slocum should be gone TODAY! The defense played pretty damn well on the other hand......you forgot the refs though. It seemed like they let the Bill DBs do what ever they wanted....
    The FOX Network covered that game in my area and I agree it was terrible.

The Commentators were Justin Kutcher and David Diehl.

They seem to have a problem just formatting the Score Board to fit inside of the screen.

You want to see a camera angle on an important call and they get the worst angles for a determination.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

For one thing, he's practically a dead ringer for Brett Favre, that's got to have some sentimental value. He certainly could be a brother.

As far as the announcers mispronouncing names, I can live with it. Judging by talk radio, I am in minority. I was irritated by the constant Buffalo boosterism. Actually, they just sucked in every imaginable way.

The play by play guy was brutal. It was like listening in on a first date. I would have preferred the Boon Go The Dynamite kid.
    The funniest one was the play by play guy on the kickoff after the Bills tied it up 10-10:

"This is going to go...OUT of BOUNDS INSIDE THE FOUR.......(long pause as the stadium announcer announces that the ball will be placed at the 40)...."Oh, that's a big, costly mistake......."
    Last edited by Patler; 12-15-2014 at 02:41 PM.

The funniest one was the play by play guy on the kickoff after the Bills tied it up 10-10:

"This is going to go...OUT of BOUNDS INSIDE THE FOUR.......(long pause the stadium announcer announces that the ball will be placed at the 40)...."Oh, that's a big, costly mistake......."
    Also like during the couple minutes before kick off, they were talking about getting Fred Jackson back saying "that's really going to help".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    The FOX Network covered that game in my area and I agree it was terrible.

The Commentators were Justin Kutcher and David Diehl.

They seem to have a problem just formatting the Score Board to fit inside of the screen.

You want to see a camera angle on an important call and they get the worst angles for a determination.
    I've always liked FOX's production value. Much better video and audio than the CBS product.

But those two boobs were the worst announcing team I've run up in years.

FOX has gone big league on graphics and stuff, but these guys were absolutely the pits.

Why the Buffalo orientation, FOX is the network of the NFC?

Read this review of the two stooges from a Ravens paper in October...

"I thought I had punched the wrong buttons and landed on a regional cablecast of a college football game — a Division III college football game between, say, Muhlenberg and Juniata. "

God they sucked, turned out perfect capper for a shit game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Also like during the couple minutes before kick off, they were talking about getting Fred Jackson back saying "that's really going to help".
    FOX Hate on the Green Bay Packers.

Dear Ohh dear.

WOW! 31 members here posting @ 1:52 PM CST on a Monday.

Impressive.