Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thompson vs. Belichick

Thompson vs. Belichick

I will grant the BB has the better video crew. But that is it.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...375347891.html

I think there is one exaggeration in this article because as we know, Thompson doesn't sign anyone from another team except the couple we will always remember. And the one's that sportswriters always manage to forget.

Among those he has acquired are veterans Terrance Knighton, Shea McClellin, Chris Long, Donald Brown and Nate Washington. In addition, he made trades that netted him former Chicago tight end Martellus Bennett and former Arizona guard Jonathan Cooper.

His off-season work stands in stark contrast to Thompson's, whose only off-season signing that didn't involve one of his own was street free-agent tight end Jared Cook. The Patriots have already filled 74 of their spots on the 90-man off-season roster compared with the Packers' 62.
    Cooper is an odd duck in this list as he was a talent and salary dump throw-in. Still, he is taking a roster spot.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I'll be very interested to see if BB8 can do anything with Shea Mcclellan. He seemed so misused in Chicago, it's hard to know if he has any talent. Kindof a classic tweeter with no great exploitable strengths. Wonder if they can make a reclamation project out of him like Jabaal Sheard.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'll be very interested to see if BB8 can do anything with Shea Mcclellan. He seemed so misused in Chicago, it's hard to know if he has any talent. Kindof a classic tweeter with no great exploitable strengths. Wonder if they can make a reclamation project out of him like Jabaal Sheard.
    The article has an exec that says he gets guys who can do one thing well and then takes advantage of that and minimizing the weaknesses. It will be intriguing to see what they think his strength is.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to point out the notion that BB constantly is willing to bring in end of their career type vets and often guys out of favor while TT rarely does. NFL network and the Packers own cover guys point this out constantly. Hoody places value on guys coming at the end of their careers and he'll bump the young guys, perhaps sacrificing a guy that might turn out, for them. He'll take much bigger chances. I assume the articile points this out. I'm too tired to read it right now but if that is the jist every NFL guy on NFL network as well as all the writers that cover GB point out the same thing. Right or wrong, let's call a spade a spade. TT has his own version of draft and develop and it's more extreme that most if not all of the GM's he competes against. And to be honest overall it has worked for him because the playoffs are our norm.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to point out the notion that BB constantly is willing to bring in end of their career type vets and often guys out of favor while TT rarely does. NFL network and the Packers own cover guys point this out constantly. Hoody places value on guys coming at the end of their careers and he'll bump the young guys, perhaps sacrificing a guy that might turn out, for them. He'll take much bigger chances. I assume the articile points this out. I'm too tired to read it right now but if that is the jist every NFL guy on NFL network as well as all the writers that cover GB point out the same thing. Right or wrong, let's call a spade a spade. TT has his own version of draft and develop and it's more extreme that most if not all of the GM's he competes against. And to be honest overall it has worked for him because the playoffs are our norm.
    Great post!
    Belicheck is comfortable thinking out of the box and living with the risk it entails:
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The morning after a heartbreaking loss to the Colts, coach Bill Belichick revisited his risky decision to go for it on fourth down while also detailing the Patriots' uncharacteristic struggles in burning valuable timeouts.

Belichick repeated what he said Sunday night, saying that he felt the decision to go for it on fourth-and-2 from the Patriots' 28-yard line, with 2:08 remaining, gave the team the best chance to win.
    http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4660313
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I've said it many times in several forums, if Thompson hadn't hit it big getting Aaron Rodgers, his reputation and Packer fortunes in general would be EXTREMELY different. Call it luck or call it skill in drafting Rodgers, but without that, we'd be in pretty bad shape given Ted's overall way of doing things.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I've said it many times in several forums, if Thompson hadn't hit it big getting Aaron Rodgers, his reputation and Packer fortunes in general would be EXTREMELY different. Call it luck or call it skill in drafting Rodgers, but without that, we'd be in pretty bad shape given Ted's overall way of doing things.
    A counterfactual is only useful if it tells you something you did not know.

Code:
    GM               QB              Team
    John Schneider   Russell Wilson  Seahawks
    Kevin Colbert    Rothliesberger  Steelers
    Bill Parcells    Tony Romo       Cowboys
    Belichick        Tom Brady       Patriots
    Dave Gettleman   Cam Newton      Panthers
    Pollen           Manning         Colts
    Polian           Collins         Panthers
    Polian           Kelly           Bills
    Jerry Reese      Manning         Giants
    Newsome          Flacco          Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Code:
    This made me have a greater appreciation for John Dorsey in KC. Also holy crap Polian!

Would Belichick be the same without Brady? Who was luckier getting their QB, the Packers or the Patriots?
    Before having Brady as his starter, as a head coach, Belichick was 41-57 in six full seasons and the first two games of 2001; 5-13 with the Patriots.

You really have no way of knowing what might have happened if Rodgers hadn't been available in 2005. If TT didn't get Rodgers, might he have taken Cutler in 2006 instead of Hawk? Might Cutler have turned out better under the tutelage of MM and the chance to sit behind Favre for a few years? Might TT have traded up instead of down in 2008 and taken Flacco, with Favre hanging around for another 2 or 3 years??

Top QB's make everybody in the organization look smarter (GM"s, coaches, scouts, etc). It takes a lot more to win consistently without one, but those people will then get dinged for not being able to draft and develop a good QB.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Might Cutler have turned out better under the tutelage of MM and the chance to sit behind Favre for a few years?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Ya, I meant to qualify that with a or a or even a

^^^LOL

So Patler screwed up yet again. Typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    So Patler screwed up yet again. Typical.

100%...Bang On ! Exactly... and please ...hahahaa..I was going to ask:

Can't we agree on this as factual as it is. It just simply is this:

Bill Belichick is light years superior to Ted Thompson and any other NFL man when it comes to 'how to get to the Super Bowl and hopefully win'.

Bill Belichick is highly respected as the greatest mind and all about winning in the NFL. His head is into it 24-7 in terms of what he might do to improve his teams roster. His ability to game plan and manage ..his half time adjustment ability and success...are all 5* STAR qualities.

You cannot NOT have courage and the nuts to be anywhere even close to the respect and accorded praise that Bill Belichick is awarded by NFL analysts.

Ted Thompson just doesn't have the go get it attitude Packer fans might expect. We need a GM that studies BB and at least tries to emulate all his best qualities.

I'm no longer disappointed in Ted Thompson. I've grown to expect little more growth from him. Soon he'll be gone and I can have some real hope the Green Bay Packers may enter an Era of more REAL Super Bowl hope for Packer Nation.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-13-2016 at 04:32 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Code:
    This explains the allergic reaction to Manning
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I'm no longer disappointed in Ted Thompson. I've grown to expect little more growth from him. Soon he'll be gone and I can have some real hope the Green Bay Packers may enter an Era of more REAL Super Bowl hope for Packer Nation.
    I just don't know what's wrong with the Packers that they can't land the greatest GM/Coach in modern NFL history. Always sloppy seconds with this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I just don't know what's wrong with the Packers that they can't land the greatest GM/Coach in modern NFL history. Always sloppy seconds with this organization.
    Just wait until the next GM is worse than Thompson.

Fire Murphy!

When Rodgers went down a few years ago, we went 2-5-1. That pretty much sums up our overall roster minus the most important player.

Even though I think the defense has improved the past few years, it has been an achilles heel more often than not since dunderdummy has been here. Add to that the ZBS, soft philosophy underpinning the running game, and it makes it very difficult for this team to be successful, or even average, without a top-flight QB.

We simply aren't built to take over games in the trenches, consistently shut down another teams offense, or consistently run the ball to take pressure off our QB. If our QB goes down, we're pretty much done.

Homers would say that is pretty much the case with every team, but I would argue it is much more pronounced with the Packers than any other team. The Broncos won last year's SB essentially without even having a starting caliber QB on their roster. Put Manning and his noodle arm on the Packers, and we probably go 5-11.
    wist