How is he doing so far? Drafting, signing free agents, keeping the best players under contract, knowing when to cut ties?

It seems obvious signing the Smiths was a big plus, but I do think we need to see what those contracts and performances look like in year three before we can say it was great. And we'll need to see if those contracts make it impossible to sign a 29-year-old All Pro left tackle to an extension.

I was looking at his drafts, and outside of Jaire Alexander, Gute's first draft - ugh. JK Scott in the fifth round; well, he's turning out okay but he doesn't seem to be all that special, and now it's year three. The others aren't much good. He used a third rounder to draft a special teams ace in Oren Burks. Not good. Pretty crummy draft class. His second draft class looks a bit better, though I still do think Rashan Gary is going to be mostly invisible. Some of the others are still promising, and Jenkins and Savage seem to be the real deal. Probably Jenkins is the shining star of that draft. Not sure what to make of the most recent class. Jon Runyan looks like he can start in the NFL, but it largely rests on what becomes of Jordan "Thanks for your" Love. And if Aaron Jones is allowed to go, if AJ Dillon can step in. Unless Gute can sign Jones and then Dillon becomes Williams's replacement.

And if you look at who the Packers' best players are, guess who drafted them? Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Jones, Davante Adams, Jamaal Williams, David Bahktieri, Corey Linsley, Kevin King, Kenny Clark.