Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Texans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Texans

Studs:

Aaron Rodgers: 23-34, 283 yards, 4 TD, 132.4 Rating

Davante Adams - 13 catches, 196 yards, 2 TD's

Jamaal Williams - 77 rushing yards and a TD, 37 receiving yards.

J.K. Scott - 4 punts for 51.8 average.

Preston Smith - Definitely more active Today, and TFL on 4th down.

Jaire Alexander - Shut down Fuller until garbage time TD

Wagner and Turner - Held up just fine without Bakhtiari

Mike Pettine - Bend but don't break defense was right call against team with quality receivers, and with King and Savage out.

Duds

A.J. Dillon - 5 carries for 11 yards against poor run defense. Looks tentative.

Dillon has looked fine, but he missed some holes today.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    97 is a dud. Got pancaked a tons vs the run. Was less than vanilla vs the pass. D was actually better with Keke and Adams on the field, and 97 right beside the Northwestern Milksops on the bench.

24 is also a dud. Watson picked on 24’s cherry all day.

Tex said last season that MVS was gonna have a better career than DK Metcalf.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

I noticed early in the game before the first punt that Scott looked like he was standing closer than normal on his punts. First one almost got blocked. He was two years closer than the Texans punter. Not sure what that is all about.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

ARod had great stats, but I thought he was off today. Not nearly as accurate as he was the first four weeks. Hope his mechanics aren’t getting away from him after last week.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    ARod had great stats, but I thought he was off today. Not nearly as accurate as he was the first four weeks. Hope his mechanics aren’t getting away from him after last week.
    He is literally locking in on Adams on just about every play. I’m not sure where else you expect him to go unless it’s a designed play to scheme someone else open pre-snap.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I wonder about the same thing. Adams was phenomenal. Caught nearly everything Rodgers threw and quite a few were off the mark.

Lafleur said Rodgers made some great throws against some tough looks. Was Rodgers maybe throwing away from coverage on some of the throws that looked off?

Its because Aaron and Adams are Playing backyard football due to the overall talent deficiencies the Packers have on offense. It’s very hard to run through the scheme and rely on timing and perfect drops etc etc when 70 percent of your skilled position players aren’t up to snuff. And this was against another bum defense.

Once again. Rodgers was literally dropping back and and locking and loading and going to Adams just about every pass play. Today it worked. Last week it didn’t.

I sort of agree with what Harvey said about Rodgers, although he was still damn good. It was like no way in hell he was gonna throw a pick. Tentative that way is a good thing. I like Dashaun Watson. He's got a lot of Rodgers in him.

Other than that one sack that didn't count because of the penalty, Turner wasn't bad. Mostly, though, it was Rodgers avoiding pressure either with the quick release a lot of people like or the mobility I like. That's the closest I'll come to saying they missed Bakhtiari - Turner was slightly worse in pass prote. ction. They couldn't run over Turner, but that's same as with Bakhtiari. They also couldn't run over Wagner - same ol same ol'. I will give Jenkins, Linsley, and even Patrick stud status for opening some good holes in the middle. I'll also give LaFleur, Stenavich or whoever stud credit for not switching Jenkins away from Guard. As I've said many many times, in the Packers offense and with Aaron Rodgers' mobility, OT just isn't nearly as important a position as OG. I'll give J. Williams a degree of stud status for an overall good game. Just the same, I bet Aaron Jones with the same quality of blocking would have gained a helluva lot more. Dillon didn't and doesn't impress me much at all. They talk about RBs having "vision"; Well, Dillon doesn't have it. And for all the talk about Earl Campbell thighs, he sure doesn't break many tackles. I was hoping to see Dexter Williams run. Yes, MVS was pretty much a dud today. APB, I may have to retract what you quoted me on from last year, although I fully expect him to be a helluva lot better than he was today, Davante wasn't Davante last week. He must have had a Snickers bar this week, though. Tonyan had the big play, but I suspect he wasn't 100% since he didn't do much else.

I wouldn't give Preston Smith stud status. He made exactly one play, and if Watson had the good sense to pitch it on that one play, it looked like the trailer had a lot of yards. After the good games Chandon Sullivan has had, they used Raven Greene at Slot Corner today, and he was not nearly as good as Sullivan in coverage. I wouldn't call Greene a dud, though, because he was good against the run. It was stud/dud/stud at ILB - Barnes damn good until hurt, Summers worthless as his replacement, and Martin damn good after that. I'm not gonna call Zakarius a stud, because even though he made several great plays, it seemed like he got pushed around and/or took himself out of a lot of other plays. Jaire was damn good - as usual. Josh Jackson - who I like and so many other seem to hate - was more than adequate, better again IMO than Kevin King. Amos had his best game this year, maybe ever as a Packer. I'm glad they did some blitzing with DBs. I'd like to see more of it.

Great game. The D is coming around a little bit, although the lack of turnovers and the failure in garbage time prevent D was a little bit annoying.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Did you really say MVS was going to do as well as Matcalf ? MVS can't carry his jock strap.

Alexander is Prime Time; he's a great QB
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Player of the game:

Shove your Fresno fraud and “is he really a number #1” spew far up your Big10 loving culos!!

Blog Entries
    You mean culo, don't ya?

I was paranoid going into this game. It seemed to have real trap potential.

If I post about a possible loss, it feels like bad luck.

Glad I was wrong.

Let's take this win and head back to the Bay.

I thought the DL looked incredibly active and aggressive. Adams splashed a little. Keke splashed. Clark is rounding into shape. Lowry didn’t look like a liability. The DL is looking better than it’s looked in quite some time.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I thought the DL looked incredibly active and aggressive. Adams splashed a little. Keke splashed. Clark is rounding into shape. Lowry didn’t look like a liability. The DL is looking better than it’s looked in quite some time.

Blog Entries
    RUSS WILSON throws the best deep ball in the game; not even close IMO
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    RUSS WILSON throws the best deep ball in the game; not even close IMO
    Pretty much every throw is just so pretty. I watched the old school QB style competition with him throwing at moving targets a long way away and it was incredible how good he was at it. Awe inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    D is rounding into shape. Line is playing well,
    Preston Smith showed today, and Alexander is pitching shutouts. It would be interesting to see what they look like if they could ever get all their LB's healthy at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    D is rounding into shape. Line is playing well,
    Preston Smith showed today, and Alexander is pitching shutouts. It would be interesting to see what they look like if they could ever get all their LB's healthy at the same time.
    For sure. Kirksey might not be the answer, but he’s a vet and can be counted on. Barnes splashes every week. Kamal splashed today. Long term, it looks like a good twosome with Barnes and Kamal. Pettine gonna be looking a lot smarter if that’s the case.

Blog Entries
    our offense dominates sup par defenses. Lowry is a nice backup.

Good win