Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2024 3rd Round Pick #91 Overall Ty'Ron Hopper

2024 3rd Round Pick #91 Overall Ty'Ron Hopper

Overview
    An off-ball linebacker with length, speed and agility, Hopper is lacking in field vision and instincts. He can be a step late to diagnose play design and has moments where he looks lost in coverage. Hopper has sideline-to-sideline range and plenty of physicality to hit what needs to be hit. There are holes in his game that can be exploited, but he has traits and should get a chance as an NFL backup with special teams value.

Strengths
    Long-limbed with above-average explosiveness.
    Speed to trigger downhill and disrupt play design.
    Can attack linemen with force or punch and play around them.
    Flies in to make plays as a striker.
    Agility and twitch to bounce late and find cutting running backs.
    Can work past blitz pickup and threaten the pocket.

Weaknesses
    Plays through a straw with limited field vision.
    Slow to key play development and stay ahead of blockers.
    Lacks decisiveness and takes substandard angles to the ball.
    Hard hitter but needs to improve tackle security.
    Looked lost at times with coverage responsibilities.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Not a fan of this pick. Kind of small, not that athletic, and misses a lot of tackles. This reminds me of the Shemar Jean-Charles pick. He'll probably be the best pick of the draft.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Another Packer pick that makes no sense to me. They need linebackers, but not "meh" athletes with no vision. This one looks like he's got "third round bust on a reach" written all over him.

I don't get this one at all. If he was a great, great athlete, you could say "well, they're taking a flyer on him to see if Hafley can develop him," but he is not apparently a great athlete.

These Packer picks are mostly very confusing to me after the first two.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Another Packer pick that makes no sense to me. They need linebackers, but not "meh" athletes with no vision. This one looks like he's got "third round bust on a reach" written all over him.

I don't get this one at all. If he was a great, great athlete, you could say "well, they're taking a flyer on him to see if Hafley can develop him," but he is not apparently a great athlete.

These Packer picks are mostly very confusing to me after the first two.

I did some research on this guy for our draft contest. He fits when GB is lookign for. But I honestly thought he was a round 5 guy....maybe at best 4. Can't imagine him being drafted before Payton WIlson.....whose ofte insured, but if when healthy he's pretty amazingly good
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Well, as I wrote elswewhere, I watched Guter's presser. He kept talking about this guy being fast, and being able to hit. This really was just his guy - clearly Wilson's injury history was a factor.

I don't know shit about these guys, so in Guter I trust until we see how it all plays out. Why get all worked up about something I don't really even understand?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Ty'Ron must have freakishly long arms as he seems to be the Webster definition of reach.
    60% of the time it works every time.

Blog Entries
    Guessing several teams had Payton Wilson crossed off their list due to medical.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
    Ty'Ron must have freakishly long arms as he seems to be the Webster definition of reach.
    Good one!

KYPack

This was a meh pick for me. Seems more like a late 4th to 5th round talent to me. He lacks sideline to sideline speed but he does play physically. Wilson is clearly a better player, but is a red flag injury prospect which is why he plummeted. This kid might pan out if he can gain 10-12 pounds and not lose any mobility.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I got a sense from listening to Guter that this is in part a special teams pick. if he develops, great, but apparently he's being counted on for special teams. And for depth. As Guter said, "It's a 4-2-5 league." 4-2-5.

KYPack

Seems like they want LBers that take chances and are okay with mistakes. The anti-AJ Hawk types.

I’m guessing there was a maybe a steep drop at LB on their draft board after him. This wasn’t a very deep draft at LB to me.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Oddly, the scouting department might know something we morons don't:

Zach Kruse
    @zachkruse2
    Ty'Ron Hopper had 65 pressures and 9.5 sacks as a blitzer/pass-rusher in his collegiate career. Disruptive behind the line -- 31.5 TFLs over just 26 starts. Throw in almost 500 special teams snaps and the Packers clocking him in the high 4.5s.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Oddly, the scouting department might know something we morons don't:

Zach Kruse
    @zachkruse2
    Ty'Ron Hopper had 65 pressures and 9.5 sacks as a blitzer/pass-rusher in his collegiate career. Disruptive behind the line -- 31.5 TFLs over just 26 starts. Throw in almost 500 special teams snaps and the Packers clocking him in the high 4.5s.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Overview
    An off-ball linebacker with length, speed and agility, Hopper is lacking in field vision and instincts. He can be a step late to diagnose play design and has moments where he looks lost in coverage. Hopper has sideline-to-sideline range and plenty of physicality to hit what needs to be hit. There are holes in his game that can be exploited, but he has traits and should get a chance as an NFL backup with special teams value.

Strengths
    Long-limbed with above-average explosiveness.
    Speed to trigger downhill and disrupt play design.
    Can attack linemen with force or punch and play around them.
    Flies in to make plays as a striker.
    Agility and twitch to bounce late and find cutting running backs.
    Can work past blitz pickup and threaten the pocket.

Weaknesses
    Plays through a straw with limited field vision.
    Slow to key play development and stay ahead of blockers.
    Lacks decisiveness and takes substandard angles to the ball.
    Hard hitter but needs to improve tackle security.
    Looked lost at times with coverage responsibilities.
    I know a highlight clip isn't really indicative, but what I watched was 100% opposite of this report. He was instantly diagnosing plays. The bad angles thing basically means he isn't taking on blockers, but weaving through them. I have seen very little of this guy and he wasn't on my radar, but again, that tape doesn't match that report.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I know a highlight clip isn't really indicative, but what I watched was 100% opposite of this report. He was instantly diagnosing plays. The bad angles thing basically means he isn't taking on blockers, but weaving through them. I have seen very little of this guy and he wasn't on my radar, but again, that tape doesn't match that report.
    One of the things that gets me is scouting reports are often 180 degrees from one another, totally contradicting one another. Art not Science.

I was gonna put this guy on my Draft Contest list, but after the 4th round. Oh well.

I like Trevin Wallace alot more than this dude, but that's why I'm not a GM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    I was gonna put this guy on my Draft Contest list, but after the 4th round. Oh well.

I like Trevin Wallace alot more than this dude, but that's why I'm not a GM.

Me too; but I was going to list him in round 5. Wallace was already gone when GB picked as a fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Me too; but I was going to list him in round 5. Wallace was already gone when GB picked as a fyi
    Oh, he was? Missed that.