Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Move Carroll to Safety?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Move Carroll to Safety?

As I've watched the games so far this year, it is becoming painfully clear that Manual is the exact same player as Collins...only much less talented athletically and much more experienced. Neither is worth a damn in coverage. Both excel closer to the line of scrimmage. Do we honestly need two safeties like that?

Carroll pretty much is a failure at CB. He is horrible in bump and run coverage...which is pretty much the bread and butter of the defense we run. He uses his hands far too much, and seems to be overpowered by larger WRs. Since WRs coming out of college aren't getting any smaller, he's up a creek without a paddle in that regard. However, he is a pretty good tackler and has amazing speed. Could Carroll possibly be the cover safety we need? I realize that he isn't very big as far as safeties go...but he does possess good leaping ability, which will be seen more if he is playing deep coverage than when he is running with a WR in coverage. If he is playing safety, he doesn't have to worry about bump and run coverage...or grabbing jerseys.

Does anyone else think it might be worth looking at later this year?

Can't do it. We have little depth at corner, and Carroll is our third best corner right now..I think Blackmon will be a stud, but he hasn't even suited up in an NFL game yet..Preseason or regular. Plus, Carroll had a nice game other than the play he got beat for that TD. It happens.

Saying Collins isn't worth a damn in coverage is pretty harsh too..He had a bad game Sunday and he admitted as much..But he has put himself in position to make a number of plays over the past 18 games..His lack of ability to catch the football when he gets his paws on it is another matter..He'll have to work on that..But he's been pretty solid against the run, and in coverage.

Blog Entries
    No, Leap.

He's too small for safety. I have the same problems with the safeties you have.

I've seen Manuel over the years and we definitely have the Hardy Nickerson syndrome goin' on here. This season is the worst one I've ever seen him have. He has lost what speed he had and his confidence in cover is shattered. All I can figure is that groin injury is still re-occuring. He can't run the field & he was weak on his cover anyhow. We need somebody & quick.

I've liked what I saw of Culver. What the hell, we're the Kiddie korps, let's give him a shot.

Too bad Underwood got hurt. He may have gotten his chance to prove that what he showed in training camp would carry over to the regular season.

Moving Carroll to the next flight out of town would be my choice

Without Carroll, who is coming in for the nickel and dime packages? Jarrett Bush, Patrick Dendy, or Charlie Peprah? Young guys who couldn't make it with the teams they went to training camp with. That's scary.

I know run support is a big part pf the safeties job, but is not the number #1 rule "Nobody gets behind you", yet it seems to happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgepack
    I know run support is a big part pf the safeties job, but is not the number #1 rule "Nobody gets behind you", yet it seems to happens all the time.
    Especially in this defense. The safeties usually play back to stop big plays. Reggie Bush can change things though. The Packers were clearly using Nick Collins closer to the line of scrimmage a lot in an effort to slow Bush down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgepack
    Yer right, of course. I don't think Manuel is physically capable of coming up to support the run, then getting back if it's a play pass.

He's known for being a big run supporter, so he's trying to guess.

When he guess run, and is wrong....

There's nobody home

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack
    No, Leap.

He's too small for safety. I have the same problems with the safeties you have.
    Carroll is about the same size as Underwood, but is much faster and jumps well. Also tackles pretty well and isn't shy about making a tackle. I don't think his size would be a big hinderance at safety. The biggest drawback to Carroll as a safety is that he does not play the ball well, and you really would like your safeties to make plays on the ball.

If you need to move someone to safety, move Woodson.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    If you need to move someone to safety, move Woodson.
    ya, I would like to see this move. But of course, then you have to live with Carroll's occasional brain farts. I actually think Carroll plays well most of the time. But he still grabs when he gets beat.

Speaking of safeties ..... weren't you one of those in the preseason who INSISTED that Manuel was an upgrade over Roman? (sorry if you weren't.)

I have a problem when people say that a FA is DEFINITELY better than what we already have, based on stats from previous year, or a few press opinions. I don't believe Manuel is better than Roman until I see them both play, this year. That's why I was pissed when Roman was foolishly cut before camp. Same thing with Ben Taylor. When I see him outperform Poppinga, then I'll believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Same thing with Ben Taylor. When I see him outperform Poppinga, then I'll believe it.
    but could taylor really be any worse? im not just talking about the obvious mistackles and bad coverage but just the fact that he only recorded one tackle. im not sure he's really doing anything out there aside from occasionally holding up a blocker for everyone else.

I've heard that Taylor could do a lot worse--against the run where Pop's been relatively good.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by tonytokes
    but could taylor really be any worse?
    I find it hard to evaluate the play of linebackers on tv. I would be happy to see Poppinga and Taylor alternate series. What the hell! They do it with defensive linemen all the time. They'd really learn which player is better.

According to M3, Manuel is the best communicator on the defense and will be seen as a leader by mid season.

I can't say the same about Carroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33
    According to M3, Manuel is the best communicator on the defense and will be seen as a leader by mid season.

By mid season??? Who's the leader now?
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33

By mid season??? Who's the leader now?
    Barnett

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Speaking of safeties ..... weren't you one of those in the preseason who INSISTED that Manuel was an upgrade over Roman? (sorry if you weren't.)
    I doubt I INSISTED on it, because I was never that down on Roman as a player. In fact, I argued with someone (Gureski?) about whether or not he was the weak link in the defense. I described him as being a player you could play with, but would like to improve if you could.

I did like signing Manual to what really is not a very expensive contract, and I thought he could be an upgrade over Roman because I felt he was better against the run and no worse against the pass, but I never thought it was a huge signing. I agreed with letting Roman go after he copped an attitude and others like Underwood and Culver showed potential.

I think TT's attraction to Manual is the same as what he hoped to get from Little last year, a guy that could run the backend of the defense, making the necessary calls and adjustments. Little just couldn't play anymore, so couldn't provide that. Roman has never been described as "a coach on the field." Manual has been, even Collins mentioned it in TC. If he can provide that on the field and play no worse than Roman, it will be an improvement and may take pressure off Collins, hastening his development.

Roman was nothing special. If in the end you have exchanged six of one for a half-dozen of the other, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    Roman was nothing special. If in the end you have exchanged six of one for a half-dozen of the other, so what?

I think they might have kept Roman if Underwood had been hurt prior to Roman being cut, unless he was so unhappy about them bringing in Manual that he wouldn't have been kept under any circumstances.