Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DC Bob Sanders let players make calls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DC Bob Sanders let players make calls

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders left it up to his players to make the calls (at half time).

As a result, the Lions managed only a fourth-quarter field goal, while punting twice and giving it up on downs.

"He sat everybody down with 13 minutes to play and just told us, 'I'm going to give you all the calls,'" Carroll said of Sanders. "He asked us what we wanted to call. We told him, and we went out there and played."

Gutsy? I think so but it also has me a bit worried. 'Cos it could be interpreted that Sanders is clueless calling plays. What do you think?
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Unbelievable. I'm guessing highway-28 was not suppose to say anything to the media about this because I am with you on being worried that maybe, just maybe Sanders may not know what he is doing.

Either that or he got sick of calling plays the Defense doesn't know how to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sef0r
    Unbelievable. I'm guessing highway-28 was not suppose to say anything to the media about this because I am with you on being worried that maybe, just maybe Sanders may not know what he is doing.

Either that or he got sick of calling plays the Defense doesn't know how to execute.
    I wouldn't worry. Mike Holmgren was known to get fed up with the Offense at times during games and would give the playcalling to Sherman Lewis. Now granted its not the players in that case, but handing over playcalling isn't something new.

well, it looks like we can get rid of sanders then, if the team sucks when he's making the decisions, and they look good when he's not. then get rid of him

Well, if our defensive players have their heads in the game enough to be able to diagnose the offense and successfully figure out what to do, and then actually go out and execute, I would have to say that's a good sign. I think this is less an issue of "Sander's doesn't know what to call" and more of an issue of "motivating the D." I mean, if you can't execute what the coach wants you to run and you can't execute what you want to run, how much pride can you have as a defensive player.

I'm not sure we want to make a habit of it, but it at least reflects well on our defense mentally.
    </delurk>

Whatever works. It worked. They called the plays as a team and executed as a team.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I guess if it helps communication, Im all for it!! The more they talk about things back there, the better.

Maybe start that before the game, plan it as a group leading up to the game. and then work it as a group.
    What the hell is going on out there!!??

i think it gives the players confidence. They played alot better in the second half.

Which player called the plays then? Was it Manual, Collins, who?

If it was up to a specific player, I would hope it would be someone like Barnett or Harris. Heaven help the Packers if it is Carroll!

OPF

Whoever did it did a pretty good job.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

? HOFer
    I would guess Manual. I don't think they did a good job, either.

Better than the first half.

Maybe it was Corey Williams, and the play call went something like this:

If any of you f'ers let someone convert a 3rd and long after that sack I just made, I'm gona come over there and sit on you!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rdanomly
    Which player called the plays then? Was it Manual, Collins, who?
    It would normally be the mike (Barnette) or the Safety (Manual)

They have the best view of the field. Leroy used to make most of the calls from the bench for Fritz, but the mike would make game calls (audibles), for instance.

Too funny. Even his own dang self knows he's not qualified. I now have renewed hope for the season assuming he continues to be so self-aware and introspective.

I hear next week Magic 8 ball is calling the defense.

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    I was calling the plays. That's why I couldn't watch the game at the Park Tavern.

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

It actually kind of depends on the context of the situation. If Sander was desperate and at a loss, then it's the picture of a guy who's in over his head. If he used this deliberate tactic to motivate his guys and give them a sense of "ownership," then he's a guy who's comfortable in his skin and doesn't mind handing over the authority for a bit if it means his D will work better.

Senior Rat All-Pro FritzDontBlitz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainerd
    Too funny. Even his own dang self knows he's not qualified. I now have renewed hope for the season assuming he continues to be so self-aware and introspective.

i don't have a problem with the defenders calling the plays, its the way games used to be called anyway before coaches got so bigheaded they felt they had to spoon feed the players everything. if carroll was referring to the 4th quarter defense - and he did say the last 13 minutes - then they definitely played better when they called the plays themselves. i assume the one who took over the playcalling was manuel and not barnett because manuel has been to the big dance so he should know a little more about running a successful defense than barnett.
    Always respect your opponent, even when you're kicking the crap outta him.