Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reggie White

Reggie White

I just received the newest copy of the PackerReport magazine. In it is an article which lists the greatest Green Bay Packers of all time. Here is the top 10. 1) Reggie White 2) Brett Favre 3) Don Hutson 4) Bart Starr 5) Willie Davis 6) Herb Adderley 7) Ray Nitschke 8) Willie Wood 9) Forrest Gregg 10) Tony Canadeo
    Does everyone agree that Reggie White was a better football player than Brett Favre? I believe Reggie's contribution was huge, but nothing like Brett Favre's.

Honorable mentions included Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Dave Robinson, Lynn Dickey, James Lofton, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston, Leroy Butler, Jim Ringo, Henry Jordan, Bob Skoronski, and John Brockington.

? HOFer
    i'd say it was equivalent on a every year basis, but Favre obviously has been here longer.

Franchise QB + Franchise DE = winner

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    i'd say it was equivalent on a every year basis, but Favre obviously has been here longer.

Franchise QB + Franchise DE = winner
    Franchise QB + Good defense = winner.... Tom brady road his defense on a couple of those superbowls, big ben did, ravens did, tampa did...

All you need to make sure is your QB doesnt make any big mistakes...

Boy do I feel bad for manning his superbowl window looks to be closing.... He had it all last year with the defense stepping up and E.J in the backfield

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    I definitely liked Reggie, but Favre deserves to be at the top of that list. Reggie had a great career with the Eagles before the Pack. Favre was a benchwarmer with the Falcons.

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

That's a very hard question. It is difficult for me to even list the top 10 packers of all time. How do you measure the impact players have had over the years? The game has changed so much and we tend to forget the impact of players from years past. So, I have to take a pass on the question.

Quote Originally Posted by BooHoo
    That's a very hard question. It is difficult for me to even list the top 10 packers of all time. How do you measure the impact players have had over the years? The game has changed so much and we tend to forget the impact of players from years past. So, I have to take a pass on the question.
    me too, I agree.

Senior Rat Veteran CyclonePackFan's Avatar
    Reggie deserves to be on top of that list far more than Favre.

Don't forget, the signing of Reggie White was the single event that turned the Packers from a joke into a contender.

Favre was already there, but when Reggie came to town, all of a sudden Green Bay went from a little frost-bowl in Wisconsin to a place where Free Agents wanted to sign. Without Reggie White, there was no Keith Jackson, there was no Sean Jones, there was no Santana Dotson, there was no Seth Joyner, there was no Desmond Howard, and there would be no Super Bowl XXXI crown. As great of a QB as Favre was, he never would have won a Super Bowl if Reggie hadn't opened the door to free agency.

Greatest players as a Packer would have Hutson #1, Favre #2.

Greatest players in their career would have Hutson #1, White #2, Favre #3.

Going by this ranking, Ted Hendricks should be on the list. He did play one year in Green Bay before a Hall of Fame career with Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by jack's smirking revenge
    I definitely liked Reggie, but Favre deserves to be at the top of that list. Reggie had a great career with the Eagles before the Pack. Favre was a benchwarmer with the Falcons.

tyler
    Yep, Reggie wasn't just great with the pack, a matter of fact he was at least 30 before he even stated playing for us.

A great QB for 15 years > A great DE for only six.

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar
    I'm with Cyclone in that a strong case can be made for Reggie over Favre based on the leadership and cred that Reggie brought. But I also agree this is an impossible list to do with a team as storied as the Packers.

How can you say that a revolutionary player like Hutson isn't number 1?

How can you say that a founder and driving force for the team, as both a player and coach, Curly Lambeau, doesn't make the list?

You could maybe do something by eras, but straight up? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD

tyler
    Yep, Reggie wasn't just great with the pack, a matter of fact he was at least 30 before he even stated playing for us.

A great QB for 15 years > A great DE for only six.
    That's what I mean. Favre has spent roughly his whole career as a Packer. He has an unbeatable starting streak, will probably beat both the TD and INT record and countless others. Was MVP of the league numerous times. That's not to say that White is a slouch, but Favre has been the consistent thread of success for the Pack for over a decade.

I'd vote for White, if not for his attempt to extend his career in Carolina.

tyler

IMO its not even close- #1 is Hutson

I will admit that its a hard discussion to have. I don't know as much as I should about the legends. Anyone care to educate those of us that are not as learned?

tyler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Greatest players as a Packer would have Hutson #1, Favre #2.

Greatest players in their career would have Hutson #1, White #2, Favre #3.

Going by this ranking, Ted Hendricks should be on the list. He did play one year in Green Bay before a Hall of Fame career with Oakland.
    I knew HW would come in with a good historical perspective.

I'll come back with my own list that nobody will agree with, but it will stir some fun debate.

We are in a wilderness period, so fun debate is necessary.

We are the greatest franchise in NFL history, 12 championships, 3 in a row twice. 22 Hall of Famers. Debate is necessary.

#1 Reggie White, now that man had class ! I have the utmost respect for him. Only other time I cried for a nonfamily member passing, Mr. White and Mr. (sweetness) Payton. Them is good people right there.

GO BEARS !
    NFCN Champs 2005 & 2006, NFC Champs 2006

"Some people go though life wondering if they have made a difference, ... Marines do not have that problem." - Ronald Regan

The universe is twisting in upon itself. Not only do I agree with Bearman, but everything in his post is spelled correctly.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

IMO Favre is the greatest Packer of all-time, and Hornung is definitely among the top ten..

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle
    I'm with Cyclone in that a strong case can be made for Reggie over Favre based on the leadership and cred that Reggie brought. But I also agree this is an impossible list to do with a team as storied as the Packers.

How can you say that a revolutionary player like Hutson isn't number 1?

How can you say that a founder and driving force for the team, as both a player and coach, Curly Lambeau, doesn't make the list?

You could maybe do something by eras, but straight up? No way.
    I have to agree with Noodle.

I find it curious that with a lot of lists like these that the early players/coaches get short shrift.

No Curly Lambeau, no driving force to the early championships and no foundation laid for the tradition of the Packers.

I would have to rate Reggie and Brett as 1 and 1a. Neither have reached the top of the mountain without each other before or after their common time served in GB.

Reggie did help turn GB from being the place coaches threatened to trade guys to, to the place that free agents lined up to come to.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

i AGREE WITH Harv here, Hutson #1 overall and second can go in terms of total career or as a member of the Packers. Brett #2 in regards to with the team or Reggie #2 in regards to career.
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

I'd vote for White, if not for his attempt to extend his career in Carolina.

tyler
    HA! I was thinking the same thing! It's also hard for me to rank Reggie over Favre when directly relating to football. I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this, but I actually lost alot of respect for Reggie trying to use the Packers and the NFL to promote his religion and the rebuilding of his church in TN. The people of WI donated a huge amount of money....no church was rebuilt and no explanation was truthfully given. The people deserved better than that.

I do realize that has nothing to do with this article and I admit that I am biased because of reasons outside of football.

Favre is #1 in my book. I wasn't around to see any of the "legends" playing here, so that's my vote.