Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ALL TIME ATHLETIC FREAKS OF NATURE IN THE NFL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

ALL TIME ATHLETIC FREAKS OF NATURE IN THE NFL

Thought it would be cool to hear a list of some of the All Time Great Athlets in the NFL. I don't want to completely limit this to the NFL but it prolly should be the focus. In another thread I've listed Urlacher as probably the most all around best athlete able to play multiiple positions in the NFL.

Because I'm youthful (at least in my own eyes) I never got to see some of the all time Freakish greats play.

Thought it'd be great to learn about some and if anybody wants to nominate one as the top dog, feel free.

Blog Entries
    MY FIRST: BO JACKSON

For a guy who never lifted weights, this guy's physique and ability was outrageous. If not for the injury suffered to Jackson, he very well might have been one of the greatest RB's of all time. And I think he might have had the ability to be one of the top baseball players as well.

A frickin brick who seemed to be able to excel at about everything.

He played FB for the Raiders and Pro Baseball for the Royals.

He's my first freak

Blog Entries
    FREAK #2

Jackie Robinson; we know him as a baseball player, but in listening to ESPN baseball may have been his worst sport between football, basketball, and baseball. Here is an interesting blurp about him.

Robinson's honors at UCLA were impressive: for two years, he was the highest scorer in basketball competition in the Pacific Coast Conference, national champion long jumper, All-American football halfback and varsity baseball shortstop. He was a star player of football (under coach Edwin C. "Babe" Horrell), basketball, track and baseball; the first athlete in UCLA history to letter in four different sports, though initially he stated to reporters and coaches alike his refusal to strive to be a four-star athlete, and to pursue only his studies, football and the broad jump (as there was too much strain to engage in four sports

Totally agree with Bo Jackson. I'm going to add"

Lawerence Taylor.

Taylor was an animal.
    GO PACK!!!!

I remember having those "Bo Knows" posters in my room. I LOVED him!!

Re: ALL TIME ATHLETIC FREAKS OF NATURE IN THE NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky
    Thought it would be cool to hear a list of some of the All Time Great Athlets in the NFL. I don't want to completely limit this to the NFL but it prolly should be the focus. In another thread I've listed Urlacher as probably the most all around best athlete able to play multiiple positions in the NFL.

Because I'm youthful (at least in my own eyes) I never got to see some of the all time Freakish greats play.

Thought it'd be great to learn about some and if anybody wants to nominate one as the top dog, feel free.
    Talking athletes, Deion Sanders and Barry Sanders have to be on the list. No one could legitimately argue that either player was not a phenominal athlete. I have never seen a player that could stop on a dime then goto full accelleration as quickly as Barry could. Deion.....just an awesome overall athlete.

alonzo Spellman for the bears was a freak of size and athletic ability. He was just nuts. real nuts. like running around naked with nifes and stuff nuts.

Don Hutson

? HOFer
    Vernon Davis

Mario Williams

Watching Barry Sanders still amazes me!

Blog Entries
    Jim Thorpe

I've never seen him play but I've always wondered how great the guy actually was. Terrell Buckley wanted to be a Thorpe in GB but just never lived up to that billing

It's hard to beat Deion Sanders. He made everybody else look slow.

Javon Kearse, the original "freak".

Reggie White anyone? He was unblockable and could take over a game.

I think Randy Moss and Terrell Owens, if they weren't nuts, could dominate any game.

Brian Urlacher ran Ahman Green down from behind once. I agree with Bo Jackson and Lawrence Taylor.

Jim Brown was a man among boys.

Ed "Too Tall" Jones, a 6'9" Defensive End.

There used to be a tight end for the Kansas City Cheifs, Morris Stroud? who was 6'9" and would be posted at the goal post to jump and block field goals.

I think Doug "the tree" Atkins, DE Bears, was also 6'9".

Indomitable players :

Dick Butkus
    Earl Campbell
    Walter Payton
    Gayle Sayers
    Bob Brown, OT Rams/Raiders
    Ted Hendricks
    Ray Lewis
    Tony Boselli, the OT for the Jags. He could ragdoll Bruce Smith. May be the greatest OT who ever played.
    Alan Page, in his prime was a beast

Lavar Arrington is another guy, barrng injury and craziness, was just unstoppable.

Keith Jackson was one of a kind.

Bubba Smith, for his time, was a freak in size, athleticism.

Mean Joe Greene was the greatest Defensive Tackle I ever saw.

Eric Swann
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

Quote Originally Posted by motife
    Mean Joe Greene was the greatest Defensive Tackle I ever saw.
    I thought I read somewhere that Mean Joe wasn't that big. He seemed larger than life.

DT Alex Karras of the Detroit Lions.

The guy was squat, with short arms. Karras was barrel-chested and had a poor physique.

He was also very near-sighted and played with horn-rimmed glasses. Despite his physical limitations, he was one tough and effective defensive lineman.

OPF

Linebacker Ted Hendricks was also a freakish athlete.

Called "The Stork" because he was a lean 6'7" , he hardly fit the physical profile of the linebacker.

The guy was tough, surpisingly quick and strong. He was one of those mobile linebackers who was all over the field.

OPF

There are some great choices above.

How about Tony Gonzalez of the Chiefs? He's both one of the great pass-catching tight ends of all time and was a good enough athlete to play on a very good Cal basketball team in college.

Morris Stroud

I remember him from many years ago and I believe he was 7' 250 lbs.
    I beleive he played with KC.

Babe Didrickson.

I also heard that Chris Hovan has a tail sticking out of the top of his butt. That's pretty freaky.